Spyder Garage

Default Instrument Light Cluster Question

I just got a 2016 Can-Am Spyder F3-T. I have a question about the instrument panel.

There are two analog dials - a speedometer on the left and a tachometer on the right.

With the Spyder turned off, the "mph" label on the left dial is not visible. Once I turn it on it becomes illuminated.

The "RPM X 1000" is visible when the Spyder is turned off. However, if I turn it on, this label does not become illuminated, even if I am riding in the dark at night.

Is this normal, or is there a light missing or burned out that is supposed to light up the "RPM X 1000" label on the tachometer?

Thanks for you help!!

Spyder Garage

"RPM X 1000" is not lite on my 2013 ST and it is basically the same multifunction gauge cluster. Also why would you need to light it? It's not going to change to any other scale. Always RPM.

The vehicle speed scale can be different. It may read read in MPH or KM/H. So depending on what your settings are. Will determine which will be light up and the speed scale will be. I normally have mine set to KM/H. But from time to time I cross over to the US. I then change to MPH.

multifunction gage.jpg
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-30-2017 at 03:36 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default And to answer your next question

Yes the turn signal lights are dim. You can hardly see them in the daylight. They sucked on my 2008 GS and eight years later BRP has still not bothered to correct them!

Chris

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvedec View Post
    I just got a 2016 Can-Am Spyder F3-T. I have a question about the instrument panel.

There are two analog dials - a speedometer on the left and a tachometer on the right.

With the Spyder turned off, the "mph" label on the left dial is not visible. Once I turn it on it becomes illuminated.

The "RPM X 1000" is visible when the Spyder is turned off. However, if I turn it on, this label does not become illuminated, even if I am riding in the dark at night.

Is this normal, or is there a light missing or burned out that is supposed to light up the "RPM X 1000" label on the tachometer?

Thanks for you help!!
    I have the same thing on The Critter. I've wondered if I should say something at the dealers when I get it inspected.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default instrument panel lighting....

I remembered that most all vehicles including the spyder do a panel lighting test when first powered on. So I watched the RPM display to see if it is back lit during the power on test & found that it is not. Is it needed? Just a matter of preference but probably done as a cost savings.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Makes total sense now

From billybovine: "RPM X 1000" is not lite on my 2013 ST and it is basically the same multifunction gauge cluster. Also why would you need to light it? It's not going to change to any other scale. Always RPM.

The vehicle speed scale can be different. It may read read in MPH or KM/H. So depending on what your settings are. Will determine which will be light up and the speed scale will be. I normally have mine set to KM/H. But from time to time I cross over to the US. I then change to MPH.

From SteveLaoyster: I remembered that most all vehicles including the spyder do a panel lighting test when first powered on. So I watched the RPM display to see if it is back lit during the power on test & found that it is not. Is it needed? Just a matter of preference but probably done as a cost savings.

Both of the Forum members above seemed to hit on the answer - RPM never changes, but mph vs kph does. So, lighting not needed for the tach but would be for the speedo. Thanks!!