Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default F3-T "Glovebox" Problem

I'm having a heck of a time opening the "Glove Box" (ie - the little storage compartment on top of the dash), on my F3-T. Is there a trick to getting it open? I don't remember it being lockable.....and I don't want to force it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They DO open a bit tough... But that's to discourage the "less than honest" folks out there.
    Ask your dealer to show you their technique.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Agreed. There are lots of poorly designed things on these. Seems theres always some mysterious technique needed for a ton of things on them. "Try dabbing some grease here" "you have to kind of push then twist then do a jumping jack" lol. I too have a hell of a time opening mine. Would it kill them to just have a normal latch? That, the ridiculous gas cap design, even the frunk opening method with the key doesnt always work. Seems like BRP is trying far too hard to be unique. It sure is working. They are the only ones that ive ever had such ergonomic issues with in all of our motorsports history. Wish they wouldve stuck to the basics with the simple things. what is with them and anything that latches???
    Last edited by Slowpoke387; 06-29-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's an old saying:
    "You may like someone for their strengths; but you'll end up loving them for their faults."
    If you consider the quirks as part of the equation: you'll be a lot happier.
    If you can't: sell the bike, and find something that makes you truly happy with it's... blandness!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I'm a weakling

A dab of silicone....use two thumbs...easy peasy....do that about ten times and all works fine...every time.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

It is hard. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I'm having a heck of a time opening the "Glove Box" (ie - the little storage compartment on top of the dash), on my F3-T. Is there a trick to getting it open? I don't remember it being lockable.....and I don't want to force it.

I had that problem but a shot of WD-40 solved it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

It's all in the approach....stay calm and be patient and things tend to work...attack it with anger and negative attitude and more than likely you will break it or hurt yourself...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Agreed. There are lots of poorly designed things on these. Seems theres always some mysterious technique needed for a ton of things on them. "Try dabbing some grease here" "you have to kind of push then twist then do a jumping jack" lol. I too have a hell of a time opening mine. Would it kill them to just have a normal latch? That, the ridiculous gas cap design, even the frunk opening method with the key doesnt always work. Seems like BRP is trying far too hard to be unique. It sure is working. They are the only ones that ive ever had such ergonomic issues with in all of our motorsports history. Wish they wouldve stuck to the basics with the simple things. what is with them and anything that latches???
    Oh please! Enough belly aching! Just lift up with your thumb. There is a tight seal on this by design! Having just driven across country in all kinds of weather (snow!) I can tell you that every thing stays dry and that is where I keep my cell phone when I am ryding so I, for one, am very happy that this seals completely. In addition my frunk works every time and I really love the location and mechanism of the gas tank! Maybe it's just the difference between a positive attitude and a negative attitude! My suggestion.......sell the motorcycle!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    A dab of silicone....use two thumbs...easy peasy....do that about ten times and all works fine...every time.
    I gave it another try using your method and .... you're absolutely right! Even without silicone.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Oh please! Enough belly aching! Just lift up with your thumb. There is a tight seal on this by design! Having just driven across country in all kinds of weather (snow!) I can tell you that every thing stays dry and that is where I keep my cell phone when I am ryding so I, for one, am very happy that this seals completely. In addition my frunk works every time and I really love the location and mechanism of the gas tank! Maybe it's just the difference between a positive attitude and a negative attitude! My suggestion.......sell the motorcycle!
    Lol you assume that latch design is neccessary for a good seal. It isnt. Plenty of other manufacturers keep things dry without aggravating their customers in the process lol. And tbh i prob would sell this thing if i wasnt disabled and could go back to better designed two wheeled machines, for half the cost. But i cant.
    Unfortunately im not blinded by the Spyder's coolness. Theres def a tremendous fun factor no doubt. But for what the costs of them are there should be more refinement in the ergonomics. Glad you're satisfied but trust me, these things are really lacking when compared to the other manufacturers in this dept. For me as a disabled rider though its either ride this or ride nothing. I have no realistic options. Theres no competion so we will manage, its not like i hate it. I just feel it needs to be more refined for $30k.
    And for the record i was absolutely stoked to buy it, best attitude ever lol. Was so happy until it broke down with 34 miles on it, had to be towed, theres currently an oil leak and opening and closing things seem to be a fix it yourself process lol. I do appreciate just being able to ride at all so these are obviously small potatoes. We've slowly been sorting things out one by one but i cant help comparing to the better designed manufacturers every time im towing it to the dealer. When you've had literally trouble free motorcycles over and over in your past, you sort of hope for better but it is what it is.
    Didnt mean to rant but i guess it just came out when i saw the op's complaint lol. I will grease the latch and move on. Believe it or not im determined to enjoy what the Spyder has to offer lol.

Spyder Garage

Put your left foot in, push your right hand down...

Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around. That's what it's all about.

Sorry: I just could not help myself.

It should get easier with repeated use though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I put my thumb up to the "knob" sideways and twist so my thumb tries to go under the knob. It does and it opens. The latch is just a tight latch. I use just a bit of plumbers grease on such things to help, like the posts of the cover right under the headlights. I'm glad they are tight. I had mine come open once when my speed reached 80 mph and my 5th gen iPod nano jumped out and went over the ledge ending up hanging in front of the headlights . I make sure to latch it after that.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Lol you assume that latch design is neccessary for a good seal. It isnt. Plenty of other manufacturers keep things dry without aggravating their customers in the process lol. And tbh i prob would sell this thing if i wasnt disabled and could go back to better designed two wheeled machines, for half the cost. But i cant.
    Unfortunately im not blinded by the Spyder's coolness. Theres def a tremendous fun factor no doubt. But for what the costs of them are there should be more refinement in the ergonomics. Glad you're satisfied but trust me, these things are really lacking when compared to the other manufacturers in this dept. For me as a disabled rider though its either ride this or ride nothing. I have no realistic options. Theres no competion so we will manage, its not like i hate it. I just feel it needs to be more refined for $30k.
    And for the record i was absolutely stoked to buy it, best attitude ever lol. Was so happy until it broke down with 34 miles on it, had to be towed, theres currently an oil leak and opening and closing things seem to be a fix it yourself process lol. I do appreciate just being able to ride at all so these are obviously small potatoes. We've slowly been sorting things out one by one but i cant help comparing to the better designed manufacturers every time im towing it to the dealer. When you've had literally trouble free motorcycles over and over in your past, you sort of hope for better but it is what it is.
    Didnt mean to rant but i guess it just came out when i saw the op's complaint lol. I will grease the latch and move on. Believe it or not im determined to enjoy what the Spyder has to offer lol.
    Nice to hear! With over 17000 carefree, trouble free miles I less that a year, it is hard for me to fathom that others are not as fortunate as I have been. Wish you nothing but carefree miles ahead!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for asking

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post

Was having the same problem. Biggest concern was I didn't want to break trying to open it. But even with my nail was able to use my two thumbs and..
    Glad to see that there are no "dumb" question us newbies can ask.

Thanks Newbert and all those that responded.

Spyder Garage

A bit of lithium grease on the latch does wonders. Opens and closes much easier.

Spyder Garage

If the silicone doesn’t work for you, try grinding down the left and right sides of the pin a little at a time. It only needs a little so do not overdo it. Keep testing as you go. This worked on both my wife’s and my F3-Ts

Spyder Garage

On my F3L there is a metal bobby-pin like invention used to hold the lid shut. The pin slides forward, causing it to lose any give to allow an easy pull release. I use a screw driver to pull the pin backwards. I did this as a quick fix, but will take time soon to try and fix it for permanent use.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsugadiva View Post
    Was having the same problem. Biggest concern was I didn't want to break trying to open it. But even with my nail was able to use my two thumbs and..
    Glad to see that there are no "dumb" question us newbies can ask.

Thanks Newbert and all those that responded.
    Don't ever be concerned about a "dumb" question. We've all been there. And
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I took a sanding pad to ours and ground the pin down till I liked it. Worked for us.