Spyder Garage

Default Our annual get away

In mid July, my wife and I along with another couple will embark on our annual adventure. This will be the first time for me on the Spyder. Previously I have been riding Goldwings for the last 25+ years. We are leaving Mesa, AZ and heading to California, on up the coast, thru wine country and on to the Redwoods. Then we continue on to Oregon along the coast and turn inland at about mid state. Then we head north into Montana, look around a little and do some loop-te-doos on down into Colorado, Utah, and back to Arizona. Total time out is about 18 days and about 3500 miles.

The other couple ride a 2015 RTL and pull a freedom trailer. That was my incentive to look at Spyder. Ended up buying a used 2014 RTL with matching RT 622 trailer. We retired my wifes Goldwing and she is now riding my old bike. She is looking forward to taking lots of stuff along with the new trailer.

Last year we did a little over 5,500 miles with no trailer and felt like we over-packed for the trip. I guess stuff gets to go along with the ability to bring it.....

Spyder Garage

Default Gonna be awesome!

I'll get some time like that one day...love my weekends now. Ya'll are going to have a blast! Enjoy every minute of it...life moves fast.
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great trip once you get out of the furnace and into the cool coastal weather. You'll love the trailer but you'll likely be happier if you minimize what you take with you. Nothing worse than having to lug too much stuff into a hotel room every day and wind up never wearing it. Have fun and post lots of pictures.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default How exciting....

looks like a whole new experince this time around. if you gather as you travel and have no need to dress to impress carry a light load of old and disposable so you can return with the new and usable....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    looks like a whole new experince this time around. if you gather as you travel and have no need to dress to impress carry a light load of old and disposable so you can return with the new and usable....
    That's a good idea. A few years ago wife and I did a couple week trip around Utah and Colorado. We had all bags LOADED and more bags strapped to back seats and trunk racks. WAY over packed. We spent a couple days in Moab, UT and mailed a box of cloths (dirty) and extra bags back home. Had the neighbors get the box off our porch and store it until we got home. The lighter load made a more comfortable ride. We learn as we go. Now with the trailer, I have to think up new reasons not to buy all those mementos and trinkets...

Spyder Garage

We had a great trip. Took two days of early morning riding to get out of the furnace. California wine country and the Redwoods were a little warm but tolerable. Once out on the coast, it became cool, foggy, and windy. Absolutely best part of the ride was from the Oregon coast east to Missoula, MT. Gentle twisties mostly along rivers almost the entire way. South through Yellowstone was a disappointment. We have been there before but this time it was so crowded we didn't stop except for refreshments and road construction. Didn't see even a chipmunk. Only cars and people. Further south we went through Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. Beautiful. Then back south to Arizona and home. Total was 21 days and 4,600 miles. As usual, we over packed. But the trailer made that tolerable. Ready to go again...
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    We had a great trip. Took two days of early morning riding to get out of the furnace. California wine country and the Redwoods were a little warm but tolerable. Once out on the coast, it became cool, foggy, and windy. Absolutely best part of the ride was from the Oregon coast east to Missoula, MT. Gentle twisties mostly along rivers almost the entire way. South through Yellowstone was a disappointment. We have been there before but this time it was so crowded we didn't stop except for refreshments and road construction. Didn't see even a chipmunk. Only cars and people. Further south we went through Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. Beautiful. Then back south to Arizona and home. Total was 21 days and 4,600 miles. As usual, we over packed. But the trailer made that tolerable. Ready to go again...
    That sounds like an amazing route you took. I've been to all the places you mentioned but never made a loop out of it. Thanks for the inspiration (all but the Arizona in summer part!)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If you're ready to go again come up to Red Rock Spyder Rally in St. George the end of September.

This post needs pictures

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you folks had a great. Also one of my favorite places to visit.

RE: Gear list. Now that you have returned, you have an idea of what you did not need for the next trip. Just leave it at home next time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default The ride you told us about sounds like...

... a whole lot of fun. Seeing all those wonderful sights sure makes a ride enjoyable. Glad that you had a (mostly) memorable ride!
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)