Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    My intention was not to start a fight.
    There is no fight, just a friendly discussion. You can check out previous posts by both.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OK the issue is not whether you are comfortable with the lever position or not .....you are. I read the other answers given but in order for you to " jump forward " you have to be giving it gas !!! ....especially on a downshift ..... unless you are mis-reading the sudden change. I ride pretty HOT in the " twistie's " and manually downshift my SE to accelerate out of the apex , but otherwise I let the computer do 90% of the shifting. I think it is 95% correct in that respect .......jmho .... Mike

So I should let her downshift herself.
    Breathing New Life into Forgotten Treasures

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's actually a pretty darn good reason why "D" is suggesting that the powerband is at or about 5,000 rpm.
    It's not that that they don't make power below that level: it's that you need to keep the engine spinning at or above approximately 3,500 rpm; in order to keep the clutch fully locked-up.
    It has a centrifugal engagement system, and needs to be kept spinning.

(The newer bikes (with the 1330) use an hydraulic setup: much less fussy about the rpm levels.)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

For most of us, self downshifting 90% to 95% of the time is what is recommended. If you need to downshift to get extra power, then you hit it when you need it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Since you say you can upshift OK have you tried downshifting manually to see if that is any smoother for you. One suggestion on the manual downshift,if you are in cruise control,roll your throttle to where it just starts to accelerate then downshift.

So it has been about 4 months since I picked up Peanut and I have to say, WOW!

OK lets start with what I love about the Spyder RT vs the GS (I still love you Billie) and how it accommodates the MS, besides the ones already discussed:

1. Cruise control, OMG what a life saver, you have no idea how tired a hand without feeling gets trying to make sure that you are pressing the throttle!
    2. The Electronic Brake, I never put the Emergency Brake on Billie, is was impossible for me take it off!
    3. The Front Release button, so much easier they trying to coordinate my actions.
    4. Semi Automatic, whereas I felt bad about not shifting, it is so much easier (See Still Stuggling Section).
    5. The seat supports my back and my degraded spine so the shooting pains down my legs are relieved.
    6. The adjustable windshield, OK this is probably for everyone, but I got caught in the rain yesterday and I stayed totally dry, thank you!

I'm still struggling with:

1. The leak, Erik thinks it is oil and we know why the shop didn't see it. It only leaks if you let it sit for long periods of time without riding, so the shop moving it inside and outside everyday prevented the leak.
    2. Shifting, shifting up is not a problem, but down shifting is rough and if I let Peanut downshift on her own, it is still rough, I really need to figure this out.
    3. Still having difficulties turning off the turn single and turning on cruise control, I assume this will improve with time.

Fun Stuff:

So as I was on my way home the other day, stuggling to turn off my turn signal, a ride pulled up next me and signed, R U O K, I signed back yes, and he waved and went on his way. LOL Who knew knowing sign language would come in handy!

So Erik go me a vest to wear while riding:

For the last couple of days other riders have adopted me and as I get off on my exit or go a different way they pass me and scream "Warrior!" LOL

So the adventure continues...

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLARIFICATION

When I said 95% correct - I meant .... in my opinion the transmission was doing a very good job at what it was designed to do ........... and imho there is a " lifespan " on the paddle shifter .... the more you use it , the more wear it is subjected to .... I don't know if BRP will re-place it if it just wears out ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default moron

EASY RIDER you need to crawl back in your hole

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I learned to drive in an automatic, I shift when the engine starts saying F'in shift, you can hear it. I don't pay attention to RPM to tell you the truth. I listen to the engine and let her be my guide.
    Which is fine.
    Every rider needs to feel comfortable with his ride and whether or not it is something "good to do" is secondary.......unless safety is involved.

Having said that, every person has a different "feel" for what is comfortable and proper.
    We have one rider on here who shifts out of first BELOW 2000......and several others who insist that you aren't riding "right" unless you are running it up near 6000 before any shifts. Neither is "right" and neither is "wrong"........but advising others to take those extreme measures "as the right thing to do" is not acting responsibly.....in my opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    And YOU need to stop throwing around pointless insults.

My posts are all intended to be helpful, thought provoking or sometimes just funny.

I NEVER intentionally insult a person. OK, well maybe sometimes in retaliation but it doesn't feel good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did we really need this in here?
    Let's all relax, and remember that this is a sport that we ALL share and enjoy together. There's bound to be some differences of opinion: we can use them to promote honest discussions and learn new things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK that's an important point of clarification.
    If the "trouble" only occurs when you are commanding the shift with the paddle.......then yes, just letting the downshifts "happen" as the bike slows down is probably better.
    All 5 riders in my group with automatics have said that they just "let the downshifts happen" most of the time.
    Doing that, however, will probably be a significant adjustment for the rider.

Spyder Garage

As far as downshifting, the only time I downshift my SE5 manually, is if it drops below 4000 rpm, if you are on the throttle, and under 4000, the downshift should be fairly smooth. Look for about 700 to 1000rpm drop when upshifting, and take the rpm to a point that the drop doesn't take the engine below 4000.

john

Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by greybeard EASY RIDER you need to crawl back in your hole"

easy rider:
    Quote:
    "And YOU need to stop throwing around pointless insults.

My posts are all intended to be helpful, thought provoking or sometimes just funny.

I NEVER intentionally insult a person. OK, well maybe sometimes in retaliation but it doesn't feel good. "

Yes, we are having a friendly discussion here. A difference of opinions does not need to turn into insults. Discussion is healthy and brings out many opinions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-28-2017 at 10:39 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

OK so from what everyone has said, I need to let peanut downshift herself and give her a little throttle while slowing down so the downshift is smooth. Do I understand, I am sorry if y'all feel like you are not my intention, I am just trying to figure this out. I was so much better at a manual shifting.

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    OK that's an important point of clarification.
    If the "trouble" only occurs when you are commanding the shift with the paddle.......then yes, just letting the downshifts "happen" as the bike slows down is probably better.
    All 5 riders in my group with automatics have said that they just "let the downshifts happen" most of the time.
    Doing that, however, will probably be a significant adjustment for the rider.
    A point worth clarifying:
    The earlier RTs with 998s under the bodywork did seem to downshift a bit... harshly!
    By the time BRP brought out the 1330s: they had the downshifting protocols figured out, and they're all as smooth as warm butter now!
    I used to manually diownshift my 2010 RT about 75% of the time...
    My 2014 was so smooth, that I let it handle all of the "normal"*** downshifting chores on it's own!

*** Steep hills, heavy loads, and passing maneuvers will always require a bit of human interaction.

Spyder Garage

Default signal

The shifting "problem" might have to do with what you are doing with the throttle at the time. Others with the auto tranny should be able to make suggestions there.

Given my experience and what "the book" says, you never should really HAVE to cancel the turn signals.
    Mine self-cancel during the turn most of the time......and the book says there is a time out interval if the turn doesn't do it.
    so your encouraging riders to let the turn signals self cancel ? 20 30 seconds before that happens can get them killed will you take the responsibility for that? I use my signals more for lane changes where you have to cancel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

so your encouraging riders to let the turn signals self cancel ? 20 30 seconds before that happens can get them killed will you take the responsibility for that? I use my signals more for lane changes where you have to cancel
    lighten up with words.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default down shifting

my wife has been riding my GS and occasionally says its surges when down shifting i tell her to foll off the gas so its not surging
    she don't always remember to roll off all the way i hear the motor trying to accelerate against the brakes

good luck getting use to the new ride
    be sate out there warrior

Spyder Garage

I was so much better at a manual shifting.
    I try to ride mine as if it were a manual that I didn't have to use a clutch for. May be that will take some of the stress off for you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

OK so from what everyone has said, I need to let peanut downshift herself and give her a little throttle while slowing down so the downshift is smooth. Do I understand, I am sorry if y'all feel like you are not my intention, I am just trying to figure this out. I was so much better at a manual shifting.
    A couple hundred miles and it will be like nothing ever happened. You have it figured out.

to many more miles and smiles.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh PLEASE.

How long they run depends upon how LONG they have been on already.
    And "getting killed" by a signal that is left on a few extra seconds........especially when another rider is the next vehicle behind ???

Seems to me like you are just itching for a fight.

And......do you realize that the person who made this statement initially has a disability that makes it difficult to DO the cancellation ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I need to let peanut downshift herself and give her a little throttle while slowing down so the downshift is smooth.
    I think it is more: Don't slam the throttle completely shut suddenly.
    Although some seem to indicate that won't be a problem either.

You will need some practice letting her shift without your help. How much and how quickly you drop the throttle will be a part of that learning experience.

P.S. My daughter has a little brown dog that she calls Pnut.

Spyder Garage

I think it is more: Don't slam the throttle completely shut suddenly.
    Although some seem to indicate that won't be a problem either.

You will need some practice letting her shift without your help. How much and how quickly you drop the throttle will be a part of that learning experience.

P.S. My daughter has a little brown dog that she calls Pnut.
    I am on vacation all next week for my birthday, so Erik and I are going to practice. Thank you, I will remember this.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

I realized something last night, OK Erik reminded, I have a driving limitation, due to cognitive problems, of 30 to 45 minutes, then rest for 15 minutes, which applies the Peanut too. So when planning longing trips we need to account for that. I didn't even consider that. Dang I have a good husband....

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Next week is your Birthday?

When is the cake being served??