Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My Journey Continues........ Riding with a Disability

So it has been about 4 months since I picked up Peanut and I have to say, WOW!

OK lets start with what I love about the Spyder RT vs the GS (I still love you Billie) and how it accommodates the MS, besides the ones already discussed:

1. Cruise control, OMG what a life saver, you have no idea how tired a hand without feeling gets trying to make sure that you are pressing the throttle!
    2. The Electronic Brake, I never put the Emergency Brake on Billie, is was impossible for me take it off!
    3. The Front Release button, so much easier they trying to coordinate my actions.
    4. Semi Automatic, whereas I felt bad about not shifting, it is so much easier (See Still Stuggling Section).
    5. The seat supports my back and my degraded spine so the shooting pains down my legs are relieved.
    6. The adjustable windshield, OK this is probably for everyone, but I got caught in the rain yesterday and I stayed totally dry, thank you!

I'm still struggling with:

1. The leak, Erik thinks it is oil and we know why the shop didn't see it. It only leaks if you let it sit for long periods of time without riding, so the shop moving it inside and outside everyday prevented the leak.
    2. Shifting, shifting up is not a problem, but down shifting is rough and if I let Peanut downshift on her own, it is still rough, I really need to figure this out.
    3. Still having difficulties turning off the turn single and turning on cruise control, I assume this will improve with time.

Fun Stuff:

So as I was on my way home the other day, stuggling to turn off my turn signal, a ride pulled up next me and signed, R U O K, I signed back yes, and he waved and went on his way. LOL Who knew knowing sign language would come in handy!

So Erik go me a vest to wear while riding:

For the last couple of days other riders have adopted me and as I get off on my exit or go a different way they pass me and scream "Warrior!" LOL

So the adventure continues...
    Breathing New Life into Forgotten Treasures

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    So it has been about 4 months since I picked up Peanut and I have to say, WOW! OK lets start with what I love about the Spyder RT vs the GS (I still love you Billie) and how it accommodates the MS, besides the ones already discussed:

Fun Stuff:

So as I was on my way home the other day, stuggling to turn off my turn signal, a ride pulled up next me and signed, R U O K, I signed back yes, and he waved and went on his way. LOL Who knew knowing sign language would come in handy!

For the last couple of days other riders have adopted me and as I get off on my exit or go a different way they pass me and scream "Warrior!" LOL So the adventure continues...
    I love your spirit. Thanks for sharing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Adele,
    It's SOOOO good to hear from you again!
    I'm glad to hear that you're still riding, and getting the new bike sorted out.
    Have you got the "keeping cool" issue all sorted out now?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You have my utmost admiration and respect.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2. Shifting, shifting up is not a problem, but down shifting is rough and if I let Peanut downshift on her own, it is still rough, I really need to figure this out.
    3. Still having difficulties turning off the turn single and turning on cruise control, I assume this will improve with time.
    The shifting "problem" might have to do with what you are doing with the throttle at the time. Others with the auto tranny should be able to make suggestions there.

Given my experience and what "the book" says, you never should really HAVE to cancel the turn signals.
    Mine self-cancel during the turn most of the time......and the book says there is a time out interval if the turn doesn't do it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Adele,
    It's SOOOO good to hear from you again!
    I'm glad to hear that you're still riding, and getting the new bike sorted out.
    Have you got the "keeping cool" issue all sorted out now?
    We have the cool vest that we have not put to a real test yet, but Erik me Cooling shirts which are working well and I just got a cooling Helmet. He ware also getting a sun shade for the seat so it doesn't heat up in the sun when I'm not riding. So far so good.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    The shifting "problem" might have to do with what you are doing with the throttle at the time. Others with the auto tranny should be able to make suggestions there.

Given my experience and what "the book" says, you never should really HAVE to cancel the turn signals.
    Mine self-cancel during the turn most of the time......and the book says there is a time out interval if the turn doesn't do it.

Yes there is a time interval 30 seconds, but inevitably my husband gets on the Bluetooth and says turn signal. So then I fumble trying to turn it off. As for the downshifting I release the throttle when down shift, but not when up shifting, I believe that is the way it is suppose to go.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

OH I figured out the Check Engine problem, it was the NAV, as long as I don't plug the NAV in it no check engine light. I got the NAV from someone here on the forum, but it is apparently a Harley NAV not a Spyder NAV so I assume it consumes power differently.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

good for you, many happy miles and smiles
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHIFTING ISSUE

Can you go into detail ...EXACTLY ... what your shifting issue is ??? ... I have designed ergonomic pads for the thumb paddle on the SE shifter ..... I could do something for the index finger if this is the problem ( ie short fingers ) ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Can you go into detail ...EXACTLY ... what your shifting issue is ??? ... I have designed ergonomic pads for the thumb paddle on the SE shifter ..... I could do something for the index finger if this is the problem ( ie short fingers ) ........ Mike
    When I down shift, specifically into 2nd or first, she jump forward during the downshift. I use my thumb for shifting up and index finger for shifting down. At first I thought it was be not pressing and releasing but that is not it.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

So glad to hear you are mostly enjoying the RT. Have owned both flavors and the RT seems to also win, hands down for me.

Try not disengaging the throttle for smoother downshifts. The RT auto downshift is right on about 95% of the time for me. Upshifts you are doing by the book.

Give the shifter the chance to let it downshift on its own and see what you think.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    So glad to hear you are mostly enjoying the RT. Have owned both flavors and the RT seems to also win, hands down for me.

Try not disengaging the throttle for smoother downshifts. The RT auto downshift is right on about 95% of the time for me. Upshifts you are doing by the book.

Give the shifter the chance to let it downshift on its own and see what you think.
    OK, I will try that on the way home. I need some local to come and help me and explain what I am doing wrong. Erik said he saw a truck bed lined Spyder so I know there is someone close! LOL

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

OK, I will try that on the way home. I need some local to come and help me and explain what I am doing wrong. Erik said he saw a truck bed lined Spyder so I know there is someone close! LOL
    I checked your profile and could not find what year RT you purchased.

If it is a 998 (before 2014) your upshift point should be 5000 - 5500 rpm. The Rotax likes higher rpms. Keep it in that range when driving. I usually do not use 5th gear until I am over 60 mph. You may find yourself in first gear most of the time if you are driving in town and 30 mph or so.

If it is a 1330-three cylinder--your upshift point should be 3000 - 3500 rpm. Keep it in that range also. 65 on the highway will give you 3500 in 6th gear.

You will eventually get used to the "sound" the engine makes when it is time to shift.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As for the downshifting I release the throttle when down shift, but not when up shifting, I believe that is the way it is suppose to go.
    I don't have an automatic so I don't really KNOW.....but I think decreasing the throttle slowly (unless coming to a sudden stop) would work out much better.

Hey......SE owners: Where are you ??

Spyder Garage

I don't have an automatic so I don't really KNOW.....but I think decreasing the throttle slowly (unless coming to a sudden stop) would work out much better.

Hey......SE owners: Where are you ??

Been here, see above.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I checked your profile and could not find what year RT you purchased.

If it is a 998 (before 2014) your upshift point should be 5000 - 5500 rpm. The Rotax likes higher rpms. Keep it in that range when driving. I usually do not use 5th gear until I am over 60 mph. You may find yourself in first gear most of the time if you are driving in town and 30 mph or so.

If it is a 1330-three cylinder--your upshift point should be 3000 - 3500 rpm. Keep it in that range also. 65 on the highway will give you 3500 in 6th gear.

You will eventually get used to the "sound" the engine makes when it is time to shift.

It is a 998 2012 Limit Edition RT. Yes the shift point is the same as with the GS that I had, so that I am accustom too. The manual said to not throttle during down shift so I release it, I am generally braking so that makes sense......

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it is a 998 (before 2014) your upshift point should be 5000 - 5500 rpm.
    Listen I SEE that you have thousands of posts on here but................
    It is in NO WAY necessary, or desirable even, for most riders to rev their engines that high all the time.
    It just isn't.

I think that you preaching that it is somehow necessary is not doing the community in general any favors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The manual said to not throttle during down shift so I release it, I am generally braking so that makes sense......
    Releasing the throttle IS "throttling down"; ALL the way down. Too far down.

The computer is "rev matching" to a degree to keep from sudden engine braking.

And yes, you can be on the brake lightly without having the throttle completely closed.

Spyder Garage

It is in NO WAY necessary, or desirable even, for most riders to rev their engines that high all the time.
    It just isn't.

I think that you preaching that it is somehow necessary is not doing the community in general any favors.
    I learned to drive in an automatic, I shift when the engine starts saying F'in shift, you can hear it. I don't pay attention to RPM to tell you the truth. I listen to the engine and let her be my guide.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

Releasing the throttle IS "throttling down"; ALL the way down. Too far down.

The computer is "rev matching" to a degree to keep from sudden engine braking.

And yes, you can be on the brake lightly without having the throttle completely closed.

Ok so a throttle down without releasing it all the way.

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Adele,
    You don't need to release the throttle when downshifting (or upshifting): the computers will take care of all of that for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It just isn't.

The redline on the 998's is at 9500, there is nothing being hurt at or near 5000 - 6000.

You are entitled to your opinion. I will respectfully disagree with what you are saying. Most of the group, agrees with exactly what I have been "preaching."

I have owned 4 998's and have never had a problem with any of them. All driven under the same perimeters.

The "power band" on the 998 is 5000 and above.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-28-2017 at 06:28 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You are entitled to your opinion. I will respectfully disagree with what you are saying. Most of the group, agrees with exactly what I have been "preaching."

The "power band" on the 998 is 5000 and above.
    My intention was not to start a fight.

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE - SHIFTING ISSUES

When I down shift, specifically into 2nd or first, she jump forward during the downshift. I use my thumb for shifting up and index finger for shifting down. At first I thought it was be not pressing and releasing but that is not it.
    OK the issue is not whether you are comfortable with the lever position or not .....you are. I read the other answers given but in order for you to " jump forward " you have to be giving it gas !!! ....especially on a downshift ..... unless you are mis-reading the sudden change. I ride pretty HOT in the " twistie's " and manually downshift my SE to accelerate out of the apex , but otherwise I let the computer do 90% of the shifting. I think it is 95% correct in that respect .......jmho .... Mike