Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Are Some Replacement Rear Tires Better For 2-Up Riding

With 8,000 miles on the OEM Kenda rear tire, the center tread wear bars are just now flush with the tread. I've been doing my research here to get an idea which tire(s) this Spyder Community chooses. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that many different brands, sizes and "models" of tires are used, ranging from soft to hard compounds(UTOG 300-800). My question is: Since our RT Limited is ridden 2-up 90% of the time, with 60% being completely loaded, is/are there some rear tires better suited for our riding style???
    Always thankful of the recommendations of this group of experts.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike!
    Actually: ANY automotive tire is a vast improvement over the OEM.
    I've had great luck with Kumho, but that's just one of the many possibilities.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BETTER TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Mike!
    I've had great luck with Kumho, but that's just one of the many possibilities.
    .........you will like the General Altimax 215/60-15 ... if you put 18 psi in it ........ it's a car tire and DOESN'T need any more that ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have tried 3 different brands of car tires and all 3 (Kumho, General, and Michelin) preformed better then the stock tire for ride, handling, and wear. If fact with the first car tire (Kumho) that I installed and with the first ride my wife asked what I did to the bike to make it ride better.

The best tire of the three has been the Michelin Premier A/S in 205/60R15. This is the one I am sticking with!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Mike!
    I don't doubt that fact at all. What confuses me is the question of tire size. I see where where 2 sizes are most often mentioned:
    a. 205/55 R15
    b. 215/60 R15
    After looking at the tires in these 2 sizes:
    1. I came away feeling that the 205s were more suited for the solo rider based on their UTOG ratings these tires tended to be constructed with "softer" compound rubber.
    2. Supposedly corrects the speedo/GPS discrepancy with the OEM tire. Many offerings spanning a wide price range.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 205/55-15 will most closely mimic the OEM 225/50-15 in overall height...
    The 215 is a bit taller, and will allow the speedometer to more closely match your GPS in speed readings.
    The choice is yours to make!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I don't doubt that fact at all. What confuses me is the question of tire size. I see where where 2 sizes are most often mentioned:
    a. 205/55 R15
    b. 215/60 R15
    After looking at the tires in these 2 sizes:
    1. I came away feeling that the 205s were more suited for the solo rider based on their UTOG ratings these tires tended to be constructed with "softer" compound rubber.
    2. Supposedly corrects the speedo/GPS discrepancy with the OEM tire. Many offerings spanning a wide price range.
    The /60 will get your speedo to within 1MPH of the GPS

As for the UTQG the Mitchelin has a 640AA rating on a 205

It's the higher performance tires that tend to have low ratings due to their better grip.

I have done 205 (current) 215, and 225 and have had no issues with any. The difference between the stock 225 and a 205 is 63/64 of an inch or 1/2" on each side. This is assuming that all tires messure the same (they do not).
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue