Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorbike Jacket

I've had my current jacket 25 years and it's finally time for it to be retired.

I've cut my shortlist down to two possibilities:
    • Rev-it Poseidon
    • Klim Badlands

Obviously both these jackets are expensive but I'm hoping to get another 25 years wear out of whichever I buy:-)

If you have either of these jackets could you give me your honest opinion of them. I've read the reviews out there but they tend to be written when the jacket is new and I'd like to get a longer term view.

My main requirements are:
    • Comfortable in varying weather/temp conditions, even within the same day
    • Must be comfortable for long day riding (i.e. up to 20 hours a day)
    • Waterproof without having to muck around with inner/outer liners
    • External pockets that can be opened while on the move
    • High level of armour/protection

PS Please don't post telling me about other possibilities, I've already done quite a bit of 'shopping' and have narrowed it down to these two and partly dependent on what's actually available/supported in NZ (e.g. Rukka isn't).
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 06-28-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Klim is usually the most expensive. If you can afford it, go for it. They are now owned by Polaris Industries. AKA Indian, Victory. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have two Rev It jackets and they are very well made and quite frankly worth the price. Only 2 years so far but very nice!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Klim is usually the most expensive. If you can afford it, go for it. They are now owned by Polaris Industries. AKA Indian, Victory. Tom
    The Klim is around NZ$300 more here, however the Rev-it needs it's armour upgraded when you buy it so in the end the price is about the same. So price isn't really a factor in that sense - though the price of both makes my eyes water:-))

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I have two Rev It jackets and they are very well made and quite frankly worth the price. Only 2 years so far but very nice!
    Yep I've got a pair of Rev-it Sand 2 trousers which are well made and, unusually, are long enough for me (I have a 36" inside leg). Comforts been good as well.

I have found the waterproof inner layer a right faff and have put it in the wrong way around on one occasion which meant it didn't work. Also if you don't put it in and it starts raining then it means you have to get undressed at the side of the road to add it. Hence why I'm looking for a jacket made with Gortex 3-layer Pro (which bumps the price up of course).

Spyder Garage

have both the kljm badlands jacket and pants.....great product

Spyder Garage

I know these two are not on your list and maybe not available in NZ,but I have 5 years with a First Gear Kilimanjaro and it has worked well for me. It is stiff at first but does beak in after a time and becomes much more flexible. That took me about 3 months wear. I have not had a get off in it so I can't say as to the armor,but the material seems to be very durable. I have retired both of my leather jackets (one a First Gear Scout now 25 years old) and only wear the Kilimanjaro

The other jacket I recommend is the Olympia Airglide. I am wearing that jacket in the sig picture. I bought the 1st year model of this back in 2008. It was my 2nd experience with textile( Joe Rocket Phoenix 1.0 was the first,still have that too) . It was a good looking jacket and I would still have it except I totaled my bike while wearing it. It did it's job very well,did not not wear thru and armor held up in the right places. It's too dry here in the West to give you any idea as to water proof on anything,but the Kilimanjaro is warm in the winter with the liner and a couple of other layers.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Let us know when you finally decide. I cannot help with the decision since I have not had experience with either brand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tomand View Post
    have both the kljm badlands jacket and pants.....great product
    I assume then they are good in the desert/heat but guessing your not the best person to ask if the waterproofing holds up over time:-)

Had any issues at all with any of the fastenings etc?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I know these two are not on your list and maybe not available in NZ,but I have 5 years with a First Gear Kilimanjaro and it has worked well for me. It is stiff at first but does beak in after a time and becomes much more flexible. That took me about 3 months wear. I have not had a get off in it so I can't say as to the armor,but the material seems to be very durable. I have retired both of my leather jackets (one a First Gear Scout now 25 years old) and only wear the Kilimanjaro

The other jacket I recommend is the Olympia Airglide. I am wearing that jacket in the sig picture. I bought the 1st year model of this back in 2008. It was my 2nd experience with textile( Joe Rocket Phoenix 1.0 was the first,still have that too) . It was a good looking jacket and I would still have it except I totaled my bike while wearing it. It did it's job very well,did not not wear thru and armor held up in the right places. It's too dry here in the West to give you any idea as to water proof on anything,but the Kilimanjaro is warm in the winter with the liner and a couple of other layers.
    Just checked and First Gear isn't available in NZ (hadn't heard of that make before). Funny enough I'd already looked at the Olympia but its only available from one supplier in Auckland (i.e. on the other Island from me), they don't have the full range and don't have any with the Gortex 3-layer pro system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I could afford it I would have Klim gear from head to toe, for now I have their modular helmet which I love. From the reviews I've read and the gear I've seen of theirs I think you will really like it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't going to reply because my wife and I have the Latitude jackets and pants from Klim, not the Badlands which is what you are interested in getting.
    One reason we liked the Klim is because we did not want to have to stop to put a rain liner into a Rev-it. We also liked the fit and details of the Klim. We are still happy with that decision and we are extremely happy with our Klim jackets and pants.
    When we bought our Klim gear we were told that if you do have an accident while wearing it, that if there is a police report filed and if pictures of the damage are provided, that Klim will replace the damaged clothing for free. I believe this is still the case.
    With respect to staying water proof, any Gore-tex product needs to periodically be washed to maintain its best performance. This is probably more true of motorcycle gear due to its exposure to dirt. The breathability becomes compromised due to the dirt etc. over time. Klim provided easy instruction for the care and maintenance of the Gore-Tex to maintain the breathability and waterproof characteristics. With heavy use you probably should only need to do this maybe once a year and as mentioned, this applies to all Gore-Tex.
    Good luck with your decision.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

If you can afford it, take a look at Rukka jackets. The fit and finish is top quality. Protection is excellent and the versatility with varying weather conditions is the best that I have experienced. I did hit a deer a while back on my Harley and went down on my right side at approximately 40 mph and the "mesh" material was slightly damaged and the armor saved me from serious damage. I was also wearing their mesh pants. Both products come with goretex liners. Expensive, but I am confident in recommending this company.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    I wasn't going to reply because my wife and I have the Latitude jackets and pants from Klim, not the Badlands which is what you are interested in getting.
    One reason we liked the Klim is because we did not want to have to stop to put a rain liner into a Rev-it. We also liked the fit and details of the Klim. We are still happy with that decision and we are extremely happy with our Klim jackets and pants.
    When we bought our Klim gear we were told that if you do have an accident while wearing it, that if there is a police report filed and if pictures of the damage are provided, that Klim will replace the damaged clothing for free. I believe this is still the case.
    With respect to staying water proof, any Gore-tex product needs to periodically be washed to maintain its best performance. This is probably more true of motorcycle gear due to its exposure to dirt. The breathability becomes compromised due to the dirt etc. over time. Klim provided easy instruction for the care and maintenance of the Gore-Tex to maintain the breathability and waterproof characteristics. With heavy use you probably should only need to do this maybe once a year and as mentioned, this applies to all Gore-Tex.
    Good luck with your decision.

Gary
    Actually that's really good to know as my whole reason for looking at these was not having to muck around with rain liners etc. I had looked at the Latitude but had decided the Badlands made more sense just because of the sort of riding I do and the fact that I'm getting back into dirt track riding. My concern was if the design was compromised because of a lack of a separate rain liner but from your comments obviously not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    If you can afford it, take a look at Rukka jackets. The fit and finish is top quality. Protection is excellent and the versatility with varying weather conditions is the best that I have experienced. I did hit a deer a while back on my Harley and went down on my right side at approximately 40 mph and the "mesh" material was slightly damaged and the armor saved me from serious damage. I was also wearing their mesh pants. Both products come with goretex liners. Expensive, but I am confident in recommending this company.
    Unfortunately Rukka have no official support in NZ otherwise they would have been on my short list. Can order them from overseas but I want to check them out before buying and also have local support if there is an issue.

Spyder Garage

I looked at the prices in the US & promptly passed out.
    Can't imagine what they are in NZ.
    You must think a lot of them.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Tango;1273653]Klim is usually the most expensive. If you can afford it, go for it. They are now owned by Polaris Industries. AKA Indian, Victory. Tom [/QUOT

Victory be gone never to return!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

KLIM-- when I wear mine I get 10 more miles per gallon on the Spyder and and it goes 5MPH faster. Did I

mention the younger ladies pay more attention to me also.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I looked at the prices in the US & promptly passed out.
    Can't imagine what they are in NZ.
    You must think a lot of them.
    That's why I'm doing a final check for feedback before I spend the money on one or the other. As mentioned I've had my current jacket for 25 years and plan to keep this one for the same amount of time so when you factor the cost as a per year basis it's not too bad - well that's what I keep telling myself:-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

KLIM-- when I wear mine I get 10 more miles per gallon on the Spyder and and it goes 5MPH faster. Did I

mention the younger ladies pay more attention to me also.

Jack
    Actually I've found the Spyder seems to attract ladies who are 'rich in life's experiences':-)

Spyder Garage

Default motorbike jacket

Pistonblown,

Have you checked with Baja Ron??? I know you said first gear is not supported but Ron handles the full line and can get you some fantastic prices. The Kilimanjaro or the Rainier would both fit your described needs well. Have top of the line armor included and are water proof. Launder when soiled to keep the gore Tex working properly. Drop Ron a line and have him give you a quote. Love mine
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Ye the badlands handles the heat well....nice venting and great armor. Like you said, it is new to me and i haven't used it in the rain yet but I'm not concerned at all as to how it will perform. being gortex i won't have to worry about it and putting a rain layer on. like the other poster said if you wash it say once per year or as needed, it keeps the textile layer clean and the gortex gets refreshed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Too many bad experience buying clothing without trying them on in a store first. Fit and feel can not be had by looking at a picture.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Too many bad experience buying clothing without trying them on in a store first. Fit and feel can not be had by looking at a picture.
    Yep that's why I'm making sure I'm only buying something that's available in a shop in South Island NZ. That way I can try it on first and also means there's support afterwards if there's an issue. For motorcycle clothing it's so important that it fits properly, otherwise it's compromises the safety and the comfort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Pistonblown,

Have you checked with Baja Ron??? I know you said first gear is not supported but Ron handles the full line and can get you some fantastic prices. The Kilimanjaro or the Rainier would both fit your described needs well. Have top of the line armor included and are water proof. Launder when soiled to keep the gore Tex working properly. Drop Ron a line and have him give you a quote. Love mine
    As mentioned I want to stick with a make that's available locally so I can try it on before purchasing. I'm 'only' 6'2" but long limbed so important the fit works. The cost of shipping from states and then shipping it back if it doesn't fit would be a pain in the neck - not to mention all the hassle with taxes, duty etc. I'd have to pay duty/tax before it was cleared for delivery but it's virtually impossible to claim that back if I have to return it.