Thread: Oil Leak

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak

I have a 2014 RTL. Ever since my last oil change, about 6 or 7 mos. ago, after a ride I will get several drips of oil on the floor under the right side of the engine. After a few times I determined that the oil level was a little high and I drew off enough to get the level to the halfway mark between full and add on the dipstick. I followed the manual precisely to check the level. Even after removing the excess I still get the drips. There is no oil showing around the dipstick housing, the oil filter housing or around the oil plug. If I damaged one of the o-rings putting the plug back in, could this cause the leak? Or does someone have another idea?

Thanks,
    Ron

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEAK

The 1330 has two plugs .... look at the other one ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would check the oil filter housing. The seal may be leaking. You'll have to remove mirror and side panel to see.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I would check the oil filter housing. The seal may be leaking. You'll have to remove mirror and side panel to see.
    FWIW, If you can get under her. Check the pan under the engine. I understand when the oil is changed some oil will end up in the pan and drip for months. Others have made the oil drain plug hole in the pan a bit larger so this doesn't occur. Just worth checking into.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    FWIW, If you can get under her. Check the pan under the engine. I understand when the oil is changed some oil will end up in the pan and drip for months. Others have made the oil drain plug hole in the pan a bit larger so this doesn't occur. Just worth checking into.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

After you check all and including above suggestions...there was an issue with one of the engine cover bolts on the 14's. I believe right side rear cover on the engine. Also if you were running too much oil could be leaking from the airbox....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention that I pulled the air filter and no sign of oil. Also, when I did the oil change it was my first and I pulled the lower pan so I could see better.