Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGES

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    I see your point and that scenario may be true, but then all years and models would have been a gross exaggeration. I just don't see the 4600 mile figure to be such an exaggeration.

I don't believe all bean counters would be that short sighted. True, an out of warranty engine failure would mean a large $$$ service for the dealers way down the road, but I don't think BRP gives that much of a rat's ass for the dealers future service billing. AND, any engine failure out of warranty would certainly sour that owner on BRP and probably would sell his Spyder and bad-mouth BRP all over the internet. Too much of that type of bad publicity is bad for the company's bottom line, even if it became "somebody else's problem" as you put it. It would still bite BRP. No maker can survive if their vehicle's reliability reputation sinks to a certain low. See: Yugo
    I've read some interesting articles about 1,000,000 + mile Volvos and Saab's .... and those owners ALWAYS changed their oils at half or better than the Mfg. recommended mileages ..... I guess they weren't trusting souls either.... This is my last Spyder and I'm looking to get 500,000 before I'm dead .... oil is pretty cheap insurance ...... jmho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm sure they designed, built, and tested their engines thoroughly as every manufacturer does. If they were THAT FAR off- 9300 when it should have been 5000, not only would they be the most incompetent fools ever to build a vehicle, most everyone that has been sticking to the 9300 interval would have had an engine failure. That's just not happening.

I'll say it again- the guys that designed and built our engines know best. Why would they exaggerate how long you should go between oil changes and risk thousands of warranty claims or complaints?

BRP does not have a financial interest in how long the engine lasts past its warranty period. The costs of maintenance were very much a complaint among owners before the 1330 so longer service intervals were a big selling point. Marketing and no financial reason not to extend....I will let you read the tea leaves here.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    BRP does not have a financial interest in how long the engine lasts past its warranty period.
    If they want to keep selling them in the future they do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Have your oil tested. The report may shock you. Especially on the 1330's.
    1. What do you mean by having the oil tested?
    2. By whom?
    3. Why would it shock me?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    BRP does not have a financial interest in how long the engine lasts past its warranty period. The costs of maintenance were very much a complaint among owners before the 1330 so longer service intervals were a big selling point. Marketing and no financial reason not to extend....I will let you read the tea leaves here.
    That's kind of cynical, don't you think? Is it just BRP or is it all products made by any for-profit company? I don't understand where you're coming from.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aklim View Post
    I don't think it matters what oil you use as long as it is within spec. As to the interval, well, I would think that anything under 9300 is fair game if you want to protect the engine for AFTER the warranty. While I want to do that, I don't want to change every 3000 if it doesn't provide anything but mental satisfaction that you have been a good boy.
    You have got to stop posting on threads I'm following ... that avatar pic is too much for my 70-year-old heart ... I've always wanted a Cobra
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-23-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COBRA'S ....PLURAL

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You have got to stop posting on threads I'm following ... that avatar pic is too much for my 70-year-old heart ... I've always wanted a Cobra
    If you happen to come East , stop by and let you drive one of mine ..... I also have a copy of the Daytona Coupe ( that's the one that wupped Enzo's Ferrari's... 1-2 & 3 at Leman's ) ( Bob find a Pic and post it ....Thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you happen to come East , stop by and let you drive one of mine ..... I also have a copy of the Daytona Coupe ( that's the one that wupped Enzo's Ferrari's... 1-2 & 3 at Leman's ) ( Bob find a Pic and post it ....Thanks .... Mike
    You got a deal!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If they want to keep selling them in the future they do.
    Who is "they" and how far is "future"? If you were the exec and your bonus is based on this financial year and you might not be here in 5 years, WGAS? I have seen execs make a project and leave to another department or upwards. Afterwards, when the project goes south, it's "musical chairs" time and they are nowhere to be found.

If one guy cannot get it to last 9300 miles, probably his machine is toast. That said, if nobody can seem to get it to last, I kinda wonder.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's kind of cynical, don't you think? Is it just BRP or is it all products made by any for-profit company? I don't understand where you're coming from.
    Being the cynic I am, I'd say it is anything that is touched by a human.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Probably ok for him but me, I'd rather have Penny Mathis ride me like a bicycle.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know there is a vast difference between cars and motorcycles in how the oil is treated by the engine, but for contrast note this. I had a 1990 Acura legend back in the mid 90's. The oil change interval recommended by Honda was 15,000 miles, dino or synthetic.

I'll be changing the oil in my 2014 RTS sometime in the next few weeks. It's been about 9000 miles since the last change. I have an oil test kit in the garage so I'll send in a sample and see what the lab says. I'll report back then.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-23-2017 at 10:20 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I know there is a vast difference between cars and motorcycles in how the oil is treated by the engine, but for contrast note this. I had a 1990 Acura legend back in the mid 90's. The oil change interval recommended by Honda was 15,000 miles, dyno or synthetic.

I'll be changing the oil in my 2014 RTS sometime in the next few weeks. It's been about 9000 miles since the last change. I have an oil test kit in the garage so I'll send in a sample and see what the lab says. I'll report back then.
    What oil are you using?
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aklim View Post
    What oil are you using?
    Amsoil Metric 10W-40

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Amsoil Metric 10W-40
    I'd be curious since it is either that or Mobil 1 Racing 4T. Still on the fence either way
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

On my 2014 RT with the ACE motor I've sent the oil off to Blackstone Labs twice and both times they were at the 5000 mile change mark (or so) and the report stated this was an appropriate interval and to not go much further due to the oil degradation. Both times I was using pure synthetic oil. The first time was Amsoil 10-40w and the second time was Shell Rotella T6. Otherwise the testing was unremarkable, except apparently due to the semi-automatic transmission design (I suppose) the oils do break down rapidly (shear as mentioned previously).

I personally don't believe in semi-synthetic oils, so I don't buy or use them. Otherwise, I have no beef with BRP branded oils, I just don't use them.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Have 3,200 miles on the oil change done by the dealer. I have to admit, always changed oil at 3,000 miles be it car or bike. With synthetic, let my wife's car go to 6,000 miles.

I am not willing to let the BRP oil go as long as the manual recommends, especially since it is a synthetic blend, not full synthetic. I plan on using this oil https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Have used Castrol my whole life and not about to change. For those with the BRP oil, how many miles are you going between changes?

For those using synthetic (any brand) how long are you going between changes?

Do not want this to turn into an oil thread, just want to know what mileage you all feel comfortable with changing the oil at. I know a few of you have had oil testing done and that information would be helpful with determining when to change.

Thank You, Louie and Meg
    I changed my oil yesterday. Bought my Spyder in March and I am right at 3K miles.
    I got my filters from Bajaron and the Castrol
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MISDII...&psc=1&ie=UTF8
    oil.
    Time consuming, but not difficult.
    Owners manual says 4.5 quarts. I have the extended HCM transmission filter and the bike only took 4qts.
    I will only use a full synthetic in my bike.... only 1day into it...but so far so good 😎
    2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white