Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question What Mileage Are you Changing Your Oil?

Have 3,200 miles on the oil change done by the dealer. I have to admit, always changed oil at 3,000 miles be it car or bike. With synthetic, let my wife's car go to 6,000 miles.

I am not willing to let the BRP oil go as long as the manual recommends, especially since it is a synthetic blend, not full synthetic. I plan on using this oil https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Have used Castrol my whole life and not about to change. For those with the BRP oil, how many miles are you going between changes?

For those using synthetic (any brand) how long are you going between changes?

Do not want this to turn into an oil thread, just want to know what mileage you all feel comfortable with changing the oil at. I know a few of you have had oil testing done and that information would be helpful with determining when to change.

Thank You, Louie and Meg
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I use the XPS synthetic blend and it has done well. I used Castrol before on all my bikes this is just as good. I always change my oil and filter 3,000 to 5,000 depending on the ryding I have been doing...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015

Looks like you have a 2015 RTL. If that is correct, your owners manual says every 9300 miles....yes I know that seems like a long time, but that will keep your warranty in good standing and seems to not cause any issues. Chupaca has the 998 engine and that is more of the 3000 miles recommendation. The maintenance schedule on the 1330 engine with the SE6 is really nice on the pocket book!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default SERVICE

i had my F3-S serviced today @ 37,294 miles of smiles.... this is my 5th oil change... i don't go the 9300+ miles, but come close once:
    1st 3109 miles
    2nd 11,880
    3rd 20,280
    4th 29,289
    5th 37,294
    i use ONLY the BRP oil, and i've yet to have any issues with lubrication...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Have your oil tested. The report may shock you. Especially on the 1330's.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I started out changing every 5000 miles and having the oil tested and always the reports would tell me to go longer before changing. When we road to Alaska the oil was changed at 9600 miles, and the oil report stated that I was good for another 1000 miles. Since then I change at the 9300 mile mark.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The 998 gets changed about every three thousand miles. That turns out to be about once a year for Linda's.

The 1330 gets changed out at 9500 or minimum once a year (per the manual).
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-28-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil changes

2014 RTS SE6 first oil change done by dealer service dept. at 3k. and replaced with can am XPS semi-synthetic oil 5w20. Second oil change at 6k (9k on the odometer) with Amsoil 10w40 full synthetic along with a new filter. The XPS 5w20 cam am oil was sent in to be analyzed and returned minimal efficient. At 15k on the odometer (6k on the Amsoil) I removed a sample and had it analyzed. It returned also minimal efficient but with a slightly higher viscosity value than the XPS oil. At 18k on the odometer (9k on the 10w40 Amsoil) I changed oil and filter for the third time and again replaced it with Amsoil 10w40. I again had the Amsoil 10w40 analyzed at 9k and it still returned minimal efficient at about the same visocity as the analysis of the first tested XPS oil. It seems that most oils at 4k have reduced their viscosity rating to a stable point and hold that value for the duration. Folks that change oil and filter at 3k should be in excellent shape. However, those who run their oil until 9k as BRP recommends should be in good shape also as long as they change the filter too. Me, I'm going to continue to use Amsoil 10w40 and change it at 9k intervals along with a filter change.

Spyder Garage

Default Shell Rotella

I change the oil once a year at the end of the riding season here ( 762 inches of snow just above us) I don't like to leave "old" oil in the crank case all winter .

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just had it done. I do it once a year. Let the dealer do it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I have a V twin so my changes are more frequent then yours. BRP revised the schedule to every 4600 mi. I change mine every 4500 mi because that is easier to remember. I buy my filters,"O"rings and copper washers from BajaRon. Cheaper then BRP. I replaced my drain plugs with the plugs from Value Accessories.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have a V twin so my changes are more frequent then yours. BRP revised the schedule to every 4600 mi. I change mine every 4500 mi because that is easier to remember. I buy my filters,"O"rings and copper washers from BajaRon. Cheaper then BRP. I replaced my drain plugs with the plugs from Value Accessories.

I have never changed the oil, (only taken to dealer), but I want to start. - I have a 2012 RT SE. I know about buying the BajaRon stuff, and just ordered a Gold Plug. Should I order several more Gold Plugs? Was going to buy BPR oil.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    I have never changed the oil, (only taken to dealer), but I want to start. - I have a 2012 RT SE. I know about buying the BajaRon stuff, and just ordered a Gold Plug. Should I order several more Gold Plugs? Was going to buy BPR oil.
    I don't know what a "Gold Plug" is,but if it is to replace the stock BRP drain plug you only need two and I think anything more expensive then the ones in the Value Acessories catalogue is a waste of money. You need one 12mm and one 14mm.

There are a couple of you tube videos on changing the oil in a V Twin and the owner's manual gives a fair description. With all of that information you should be good to go. It isn't hard just time consuming. Allow yourself plenty of time,especially to go back and review the videos. I have 3 ramps I put mine on for more space underneath. Any good JASO MA2 rated synthetic oil will work in your motor. Mike BlueKnight911 likes Valvoline 10w 40 4T synthetic. You can get it from WalMart. I use that or Shell Rotell 6T 5W 40 Synthetic. I have also used Royal Purple Motorcycle Oil 10W 40. BajaRon will make you a good deal on Amzoil along with the filters.
    So go for it go change that oil,..........you know you want to.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The book says 9,300 miles, or one year: whichever comes first!
    Since I only can ride about 5,000 miles each year: I let the calendar's passing Months decide for me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question

Thanks so much for all your replies, my Grandfather once told me that oil was cheaper then engines, so don't cheap out on the oil changes.

You folks that are changing at 5,000 miles, is that with BRP or synthetic oil?
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I change oil & filter every 5,000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first. I always use BRP semi-synthetic oil & BRP filter.
    Cheers!
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Not real likely that I'll get more than 5000 miles in a summer, so my plan will remain the same as always with all of my previous bikes, and other stuff too.....I'll change oil and filter before it gets stored for the off-season.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGES

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mobil 1 10-40 Sportbike motorcycle oil and Can Am filter.

There is a very good read about the ratings of oils by an independent person, not company. He had not tested BRP oil, but previous topics where the BRP oil had been sent in for testing indicated the oil had lost about 50% viscosity, bring it to an equivalent 20 wt in under 5k miles. That said, others here have run BRP oil for 100,000 miles with no known issues.

The engine can handle the lower viscosity ok, the gearbox suffers the most.
    100,000 miles ....... who ???????................. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jim might have...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mobil 1 10-40 Sportbike motorcycle oil and Can Am filter.

There is a very good read about the ratings of oils by an independent person, not company. He had not tested BRP oil, but previous topics where the BRP oil had been sent in for testing indicated the oil had lost about 50% viscosity, bring it to an equivalent 20 wt in under 5k miles. That said, others here have run BRP oil for 100,000 miles with no known issues.

The engine can handle the lower viscosity ok, the gearbox suffers the most.
    Can you give a link to that oil testing article?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It's on Cal-Sci's website I think https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oil.html I just read it this morning.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

i did mine oil change every 3000miles

washable fitler and 5w40 full syn oil

Spyder Garage

every 2500 miles, full synthetic and filter. Cheap insurance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    every 2500 miles, full synthetic and filter. Cheap insurance
    I'd go 3k, because frequent oil changes can't hurt much (well, maybe the wallet is an exception!) The intervals listed in the manual outright scare me regardless of oil type used. It's the contaminants (including moisture) etc., not just oil "break-down."
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 07-15-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Smile Oil change depends on....

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I started out changing every 5000 miles and having the oil tested and always the reports would tell me to go longer before changing. When we road to Alaska the oil was changed at 9600 miles, and the oil report stated that I was good for another 1000 miles. Since then I change at the 9300 mile mark.
    Hi All, this is first post from me as I have just got my Spyder RT Limited 2917. Regarding oil change it differs on how you use your bike. If you have many 'shopping trolly' trips, short ones, you need to change more often. I just had my last long trip on my old bike, BMW K1200LT, and that was 9000Km over three weeks. From Perth in W. Australia to Port Macquarie NSW for the Ulysses AGM. Long trips like that your bike only has one cold start a day and as its cold starts that gives most of the wear and deterioration of the oil, the stretch of the change can be extended.
    cheers,
    Finn