Spyder Garage

Default How High is High Milage?

Good Day Folks. I have not been on this blog for a long time. It is great to see how much it has grown. My question is in regard to longevity of the Spyder RTS. I have a 2012 and we love riding it but there seems to be mechanical issues every year. The latest has to do the front sprocket supplying power to the rear wheel. The sprocket was replaced last year and it has gone again now. I am talking with BRP as far as warranty is concerned but, is 64,000 miles a lot of miles for the Spyder? We are not in a position to replace it just yet and I was hoping to get a couple of years more from this one. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.....Ysyder

Spyder Garage

Default Cousin in tops on mileage

I have a cousin in Ohio and he is well over 123K on his RT. He rydes all year and and most weather......he's a "ryder". Maybe he'll chime in if he spots this post, look for "buckeyechuck" or something like that. He's had a few problems with his Spyder but nothing drastic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn01 is also well over 115K with her 2014 also!
    And Jim (Spyderjockey) is at about 136,000 miles on his GS!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-27-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 1'000,000....🤔

More interested in the explanation of the power from the front sprocket...and you say this is the second time. Sounds like a clutch problem unless your loosing teeth and the belt slips but the most common issue with the front sprocket is it gets loose or the bearings go out...But if they get you going again the miles will not be a problem....just ryde on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Smile High Miles?

You didn't say what the failure of the sprocket was / is. Most that I've heard of were due to the bolt coming loose and then stripping the splines in the sprocket. Subsequent sprocket failures being due to damaged splines on the shaft, unless the bolt loosened again. Need more information to make any kind of a guess or offer advice.

Spyder Garage

There are a few 's out there that have some issues. That said, there are also many that have well over 100K miles and being driven daily.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

But to answer your question,64,000 miles is not an exorbitant amount of miles on an RT.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default SERVICED

I just had my 2015 F3-S serviced today; (June 27, 2017), and it only has 37,294 miles of smiles....
    hardly enough in my book.... I purchased it new, and I've put every single mile on it myself...
    Off to Nova Scotia on July 10th... wish me luck...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    SpyderAnn01 is also well over 115K with her 2014 also!
    And Jim (Spyderjockey) is at about 136,000 miles on his GS!
    I was able to connect with Jim & His bride (?) at the home coming ...... all was not well with His high mileage GS .... He had a front shaft bearing problem just recently ( and no warranty ) ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replys. It sounds encouraging for us to keep riding.
    The first issue was the teeth in the sprocket were stripped which caused some excitement as we were cruising down Whiteface Mountain in N.Y. The local dealer in Hudson Falls replaced the unit and it seemed fine. That was on June 10th, 2016 and on June 19th, 2017, the Spyder started to make the same kind of noise, but not quite as bad so I took it in to my local here in Niagara and the sprocket was failing. Like it has been said here, likely the bolt securing the sprocket came loose. I have missed the part warranty by about 10 days. (365 day warranty)
    Of course now the boss (Wifie) says it should be good for at least another 65K

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Cuz!

Quote Originally Posted by TXrider View Post
    I have a cousin in Ohio and he is well over 123K on his RT. He rydes all year and and most weather......he's a "ryder". Maybe he'll chime in if he spots this post, look for "buckeyechuck" or something like that. He's had a few problems with his Spyder but nothing drastic.

I'm not sure I deserve a just because I like to ryde.
    I do ryde a lot, many people think too much. But what is too much?
    I bought my 2014 RT-S new June 13th 2014. It had 1 mile on it. Now as of yesterday it has 123,877. Last year I rode my Spyder over 48,000 miles. This year I'm going for 55. I've owned 26 motorcycles in my 51 years of riding. But my health is failing and can no longer hold a motorcycle upright. I took a big gamble buying this RT. I test rode a new RT back in 2010, I didn't like it, at all. I thought the engine ran too fast, it needed another gear. I knew I'd be riding it a lot and the cost of gas was my concern. In late winter 2014 I get a flyer in the mail. BRP saw fit to replace that 990 twin with the 1330 ACE, with a 6th gear. I test rode one and said it was time. I got an extra year of warranty, an offer from BRP. That warranty ran out the 10th so I bought 2 more years.
    I told my cousin Leslie, TXrider and the next year she sent me a picture of her sitting on her 2015 RT-L, that picture is her avatar. Wise choice Les.
    SpyderAnn01 rydes her '14 RT a lot too, over 115,000. I think her and I are the only ryders who are over the 100K on a '14 RT. We should talk and compare notes.
    Buckeye Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I was able to connect with Jim & His bride (?) at the home coming ...... all was not well with His high mileage GS .... He had a front shaft bearing problem just recently ( and no warranty ) ......... Mike
    I know...
    But his short block has arrived, and it's going in!
    (I saw his bike yesterday...)

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I bought my 2014 RT-S new June 13th 2014. It had 1 mile on it. Now as of yesterday it has 123,877. Last year I rode my Spyder over 48,000 miles. This year I'm going for 55. I've owned 26 motorcycles in my 51 years of riding. But my health is failing and can no longer hold a motorcycle upright. I took a big gamble buying this RT. I test rode a new RT back in 2010, I didn't like it, at all. I thought the engine ran too fast, it needed another gear. I knew I'd be riding it a lot and the cost of gas was my concern. In late winter 2014 I get a flyer in the mail. BRP saw fit to replace that 990 twin with the 1330 ACE, with a 6th gear. I test rode one and said it was time. I got an extra year of warranty, an offer from BRP. That warranty ran out the 10th so I bought 2 more years.
    I told my cousin Leslie, TXrider and the next year she sent me a picture of her sitting on her 2015 RT-L, that picture is her avatar. Wise choice Les.
    SpyderAnn01 rydes her '14 RT a lot too, over 115,000. I think her and I are the only ryders who are over the 100K on a '14 RT. We should talk and compare notes.
    Buckeye Chuck
    Big x2 my man..keep riding...
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Default Ryde to much? Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    Buckeye Chuck
    Just keep a rydin brother Spyder Ryder! Jethro
    2016 F3 Limited , Crimson RED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default A little more info

I really love my Spyder and it has allowed me to continue riding and I hope to ride for many years.
    This is a 2012 RTS so it is the 990 engine. Our extended warranty ran out in April 2017.
    We have the following problems, all of which were covered by warranty until the sprocket in June of 2017.
    Instrument Cluster ay 50,000kms
    Drive Belt last year
    Sprocket last year
    Sprocket this year. No warranty
    Major oil leak while on trip to PEI....lost the Spyder for 7 days. 2014.
    Early on, air compressor failed...had to be replaced.
    Rear wheel bearing this year. No warranty.
    On my thrid battery. I do use a Battery Tender.
    Usual wear and tear for tires and brakes.
    Always have regular oil changes.
    So I am not sure if these types of issues are the norm??
    Thamks again for the interesting replies.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by Yspyder View Post
    I really love my Spyder and it has allowed me to continue riding and I hope to ride for many years.
    This is a 2012 RTS so it is the 990 engine. Our extended warranty ran out in April 2017.
    We have the following problems, all of which were covered by warranty until the sprocket in June of 2017.
    Instrument Cluster ay 50,000kms
    Drive Belt last year
    Sprocket last year
    Sprocket this year. No warranty
    Major oil leak while on trip to PEI....lost the Spyder for 7 days. 2014.
    Early on, air compressor failed...had to be replaced.
    Rear wheel bearing this year. No warranty.
    On my thrid battery. I do use a Battery Tender.
    Usual wear and tear for tires and brakes.
    Always have regular oil changes.
    So I am not sure if these types of issues are the norm??
    Thamks again for the interesting replies.
    2 sprockets , 1 belt .....and rear wheel bearing ??? How tight is your belt ???? .... that is my first thought ....... Mike