Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Too quiet on the RS & ST forum

Is it because of

a. Older, less popular model?
    b. everyone has switched to the RT/F3?
    c. RS's are more reliable, less prone to gremlins and problems?
    d. less to farkle?

or e. all of the above.

*sound of crickets*
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

"C"for the most part we have been abandonded by BRP, dealers and even some here, but the loyal ones are out there having the most carefree fun of them all. Farkels are there if you look and still some tech's that will work on our GS/RS/ST's even though they are not the money makers. The sad part is that there is no longer a sport model even as much as they say you can bend, twist, extend or shorten an F3 you can not make it a sport ryde... If you got one hang on to it and ryde it to the end of the road...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Is it because of

d. less to farkle?

or e. all of the above.

*sound of crickets*
    I would say "E" all of the above. I like my F3T, and intend on keeping it for a long time. But between the RT and RSS that I owned, I miss the RSS more. It was just really handy for running errands. I also liked the extra grunt that it had and the nice little burnouts that I would do. Don't get me wrong, the F3T has plenty of power, but I think in a straight run, my 2012 RSS would take it.
    Now, that last line has given the F3 people something to argue about.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Smile Sound of Silence= Music

I still have my 2015 ST and no problems of any kind! Just riding and enjoying. Had a 2008 GS and same story no problems except for riding position put too much weight against my hands, the ST cured that! I don't look for perfection just enjoyment!

Spyder Garage

I just go to the "what's new" section each time I visit. That way, I do not miss anything.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    I still have my 2015 ST and no problems of any kind! Just riding and enjoying. Had a 2008 GS and same story no problems except for riding position put too much weight against my hands, the ST cured that! I don't look for perfection just enjoyment!
    THAT's the answer!!
    They're all too busy out riding and having fun, to be plunking away in a forum someplace!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    THAT's the answer!!
    They're all too busy out riding and having fun, to be plunking away in a forum someplace!
    Good idea. Done plunking, going riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have no complaints about my '13 ST-S SE5!!!!!! I just ride it every chance I get, nothing wrong with it!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!! So "C" is my answer too!!!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default and the answer is

C- out riding, no problems (that I didn't create) most reliable ride ever
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Default Loving my ST Limited

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Is it because of

d. less to farkle?

or e. all of the above.

*sound of crickets*
    I love my 2014 ST Limited. Just turned over 34,000 kms (21,000 miles) yesterday. Any issues were rectified by the dealer under the warranty. Purchased the BEST Extended Warranty because I hope to be able to continue riding for another 3 years. I have been perturbed by the lack of add-on items for the ST models, but have managed to still make the bike "mine". Abandoned by BRP? No. I have asked questions of BRP Customer Service a couple of times and they have responded quickly. I just believe that the ST models have been around for so long (relatively speaking) that any major significant bugs have been worked out.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    "C"for the most part we have been abandonded by BRP, dealers and even some here, but the loyal ones are out there having the most carefree fun of them all. Farkels are there if you look and still some tech's that will work on our GS/RS/ST's even though they are not the money makers. The sad part is that there is no longer a sport model even as much as they say you can bend, twist, extend or shorten an F3 you can not make it a sport ryde... If you got one hang on to it and ryde it to the end of the road...
    "C"

Spyder Garage

Have to agree c. In the process of building new exhaust for mine. Will post more when I'm done with it and tested. Hoping once built it is made out of titanium. Will take pictures as I get it ready.

David

Spyder Garage

(c) for sure

Spyder Garage

Default RS

I ride my 2009 RS SE5 a lot. I also have a Kawasaki Nomad 1600, I try to split ride time between the two bikes.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I posted with expectations that E was the most popular answer, but surprised (or maybe not) how many chose C.

Indeed, other than maintenance related items - rock through a belt, Y gasket, tires etc. our GS has been rock solid. No codes, no alignment issues. We just get on and ride.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Add another C

We all know they are the best Spyder models out there - that's why BRP have dropped them for slower, less reliable, more expensive ones:-)

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Would have posted here sooner

I was too busy out riding today.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    I'm out riding my 2015 ST L lots too!
    No questions or problems to report.
    Enjoying the wind and solitude I am.
    Pam
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Spyder Garage

I have a 2009 RS that I bought used and I have had no problems with it (knock on wood)!

Spyder Garage

I just picked up my first new to me 14' Spyder on Monday so I cannot reply with any legitimate answer but will be making some noise, researching and asking lots of questions.

see if this vid posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmbspyderrss; 07-05-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: YT link

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    I just picked up my first new to me 14' Spyder on Monday so I cannot reply with any legitimate answer but will be making some noise, researching and asking lots of questions.
    LOOKS GOOD!!! I LOVE the color . I wish you the best on the Spyder experience

I got my 1st new to me '12 RS-S (SE5 w/1200 miles) Spyder back in December, loving it so far!

A couple little things have come up, nothing more irritating than the oil leak I have out of the weep hole by the water pump

HAPPY , &

Spyder Garage

Default S T L

We had a 13 RTS and sold it after 30,000 miles and bought a 14 STL.Turned 33,000 miles today.When that ST was new it would burn a quart of oil every 500 miles.I think that was my fault because I changed to amzoil full syn after the first 600 miles.I changed back to BRP blend after 10,000 miles and now it won"t use mutch more than a quart between changes.I have used amzoil in most of my bikes and in my truck with out any problems.I liked the RT for long trips but most of my miles are day trips of 200 or 300 miles.I enjoy riding the ST more than the RT.Its just a fun bike and I can travel on it.The gas mileage has been getting better.When it was new the reserve light would come on around 150 or 160 miles than it was around 170 180 miles and the last two tanks have been around 200 miles and today the gauge has two bars left and I have gone 210 miles.I didn't buy the bike for the gas mileage but it is nice to go another 50 miles or about an hour before stopping for fuel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    LOOKS GOOD!!! I LOVE the color . I wish you the best on the Spyder experience

I got my 1st new to me '12 RS-S (SE5 w/1200 miles) Spyder back in December, loving it so far!

A couple little things have come up, nothing more irritating than the oil leak I have out of the weep hole by the water pump

HAPPY , &
    Thanks for the comment. I was just looking to get into a Spyder period and this one was in my price range and so happened to have my favorite color being Orange. Only put about 140mi on it so far and still getting the feel for what it needs from me. It is definitely is a different way to "Ride" than on two wheels. As far as corning, just poking around it is very tame and very little non counter steer input is needed to glide through the turn enjoying the open air. I did however intentionally take a few flowing turns to fast to see how the TC and SCS work/interfere. Shift your weight forward and hang your arse off a little and BAM it is on rails. I think i pushed it probably 10% but felt like much more being new to it. I compare it to riding a quad with some authority.

Read the Do's and Don't Bible and look forward to learning more.

Be safe out there but have fun.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RSS AKA Standalone (If you must)

Not sure why but I did feel a little left out getting my RS at first. It seemed all the buzz was RT this or F3 that. I'm like
    I was looking for performance mods and even the aerocharger folks gave up on us LOL But then I remembered I got the RS for a reason and that was for a sport option experience, not being in a group buying seat cushions (not that there is anything wrong with that). Jumped out on the road, left the forum and started having a blast. Now I'm back and feeling motivated. In fact, I determined I was going to find some more performance mods if I have to do them myself. Luckily I don't think I will as I just read the post on the ECU tune by Jase. Working with him now to enjoy my Spyder my way. Best of luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    Thanks for the comment. I was just looking to get into a Spyder period and this one was in my price range and so happened to have my favorite color being Orange. Only put about 140mi on it so far and still getting the feel for what it needs from me. It is definitely is a different way to "Ride" than on two wheels. As far as corning, just poking around it is very tame and very little non counter steer input is needed to glide through the turn enjoying the open air. I did however intentionally take a few flowing turns to fast to see how the TC and SCS work/interfere. Shift your weight forward and hang your arse off a little and BAM it is on rails. I think i pushed it probably 10% but felt like much more being new to it. I compare it to riding a quad with some authority.

Read the Do's and Don't Bible and look forward to learning more.

Be safe out there but have fun.

Everyone talks about a learning curve from riding a motorcycle. However I myself had no problems even when I started test driving some. I figured it would be like my snowmobile for the way it rode, and to me thats exactly what its like snowmobiling. Your reference to the quad is also the a similar feel (Thats what the wife said its like riding on back of the quad, she doesn't snowmobile)

Most people that think a Spyder will ride like a bike usually have a negative impression of a Spyder which is sad, because why would it ride like a bike its got 3 wheels!