Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Sun Shade

You can always make your own sun shade from a cheap plastic notebook cover. Just cut it to size and Velcro it to the gps. In my opinion this works better than the cloth ones.

Spyder Garage

Got my cheap sunshade a couple of days ago and it works, sort of. It attached with two elastic straps over the back and being designed for about 5 different models it's a very tight fit. If the sun is at an angle where the shade stops it getting to the screen it helps but that tends to be just the top half snd a bit down the sides. Worth the small layout though so I'll leave it on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once the Sun is at your back: nothing will help to make the GPS readable.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I own the 660. If I get the 590, will the mounting bracket on my Spyder still be usable or will I have to change it?
    P.s. I do not need the input that may be available from the 590 so, if this is the only add on and I still can use my current mounting bracket, I would be happy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Once the Sun is at your back: nothing will help to make the GPS readable.
    660 mounting will not fit the 590.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    I own the 660. If I get the 590, will the mounting bracket on my Spyder still be usable or will I have to change it?
    P.s. I do not need the input that may be available from the 590 so, if this is the only add on and I still can use my current mounting bracket, I would be happy.
    Anew mount is needed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Guess I will keep my old fashion Garmin.
    thank you very much for the answers.

Spyder Garage

I have finally installed my 590, I like it a lot, it sometimes gives me different routes than Google maps and they seem to be better and faster. It seems to work better than any other GPS I have owned (Restaurants, gas station etc.) I will not be getting a sunshade, I tried using one in sunlight and really did not improve much, the display looks like it was meant for looking at it in the sunlight. I ordered a OEM mount and had to order a harness, it was specifically made for the Spyder, the installation was pretty simple other than threading the cable through the hole in the handle bars, I had to cut all the zip ties they had folding the cables and then install new ones after I ran it all through. Other than that it is a pain to get it level, and I'm anal when it comes to things like that, so I had to mess with it for a while.

I have a harness with cradle/mount for the 590 LM that I received with the GPS, I was going to put it on eBay but would much rather help a Spyderlover.
    Last edited by Ramg66; 07-05-2017 at 05:14 PM.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Curious question about visibility...... My boat that I kept in Seattle had Radar, GPS navigation and depth sounders. Those instruments became very much MORE visible in direct sunlight. Very vivid and almost like todays HD TVs. However I find the screen on my Zumo 660 gets washed out in direct sunlight. The electronics on my boat were all Furuno but I know of others who had Garmin electronics that performed well in direct sunlight. Also been the biggest complaint about the screen on my phone. Anyone with more smarts than me explain what's going on.....? As far as I know all screens are LCDs.