Spyder Garage

Default Front Fender Bolts

I have a 2012 RTL which I needed to remove the left front fender to do some work on the wiring under the fender. Since removing and bolting back on the bolts will loosen slightly after a couple thousand miles. When I put fender back on I used blue locktite and probably torqued down more than they were from factory. I can tell when the bolts have loosen because fender will vibrate slightly. Question is how can I keep these bolts from loosening? They don't have any type of lock washer on then from factory, was thinking about putting in either standard split lock washer or washer with the star pattern on the inside. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Of course you could try the lock washers but you might get some new bolts. They do wear out from reuse and over torquing which will strech the threads and thin the bite. Must have a good amount of vibration/movement going on to have them loosen up, bumpy roads perhaps, you could also go to a stronger thread lock...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Visit local

Ace Hardware they carry the bolts.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOOSE FENDERS

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    I have a 2012 RTL which I needed to remove the left front fender to do some work on the wiring under the fender. Since removing and bolting back on the bolts will loosen slightly after a couple thousand miles. When I put fender back on I used blue locktite and probably torqued down more than they were from factory. I can tell when the bolts have loosen because fender will vibrate slightly. Question is how can I keep these bolts from loosening? They don't have any type of lock washer on then from factory, was thinking about putting in either standard split lock washer or washer with the star pattern on the inside. Any suggestions?
    WOW..... I've had both fenders off at least a dozen times , never added / replaced any lok-tite, no lock washers etc ...... never got loose fenders .......... is it possible you " cross - threaded " one or more bolts ? ..... if so, eventually they will not hold as well......... Star washers will fix this if the threads inside are OK ............. jmho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Nope didn't cross thread, maybe I am not tighten down as much as I think I am. When they vibrate it only takes about 1/8 turn to tighten up. If if happens again I will get some star washers.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FENDER BOLT ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    Nope didn't cross thread, maybe I am not tighten down as much as I think I am. When they vibrate it only takes about 1/8 turn to tighten up. If if happens again I will get some star washers.
    I should have asked .... how are your tires wearing ..... the fender shake you describe is not normal , imho ...... are you feeling any vibrations thru the steering ????? .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Tires seem to be wearing even and I don't have any shake in the bars. Also its just the left fender which I have had off that shakes, the right one is OK.