Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Good suggestions above....I trust no one to do the right, legal or logical thing..and plan ahead leaving a way out wherever and whenever possible. I also confront no one for there bone headed move.....works for me...
    Always drive like "they" are out to get you, or going to do something stupid...they are always lurking...and sometimes deliver as anticipated.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was told by a guy on a two wheeler: you are invisible, ride accordingly.

Spyder Garage

As far as wearing high-viz clothing goes:

When I was in the Air Force, they were absolutely anal about wearing at least a high-viz vest, preferably one of the bright fluorescent colors. But a few years ago, I noticed the military bikers were riding onto base wearing just their cammies -- no high-viz clothing at all. So I asked one of the unit motorcycle safety monitors about that. I would think in cammies, you'd be even less visible.

He said someone had recently conducted a study that found that high-viz clothing didn't really reduce the odds of an accident -- cagers really aren't looking out for the bikers. So the Air Force stopped mandating bright clothing. I don't know about the other Services. I figure the study must have been compelling, to get the hidebound Air Force bureaucracy to change its mind.

If you've read all the previous comments -- drive defensively and assume they don't see you, because they don't. When they scan for traffic, they're looking for something about the size of another car. Motorcycles aren't on their radar.

Some high-viz gear likely helps, given that not all cage drivers are totally asleep at the wheel.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    I was told by a guy on a two wheeler: you are invisible, ride accordingly.
    He was more correct than he probably had any idea he was. Here are a couple of quotes from an article written by a British RAF pilot who is also a biker. He discusses how we see what we see and how the brain processes that info. When someone who has just pulled out in front of a m/c says, "I didn't see him!" he very likely is telling the truth. Not seeing a m/c is a very real physiological phenomenon.

This makes perfect sense, just like trying to take a picture without holding the camera still, the image would be blurred. So, our clever brain overcomes this by moving our eyes (really fast, remember) in a series of jumps (called saccades) with very short pauses (called fixations), and it is only during the pauses that an image is processed.
    It is entirely possible for our eyes to ‘jump over’ an oncoming vehicle during one of the saccades. The smaller (and specifically, the narrower) the vehicle, the greater the chance that it could fall within a saccade. You are not being inattentive, you are physically incapable of seeing anything during a saccade.
    Here is a link to the article. It is very interesting reading, and very enlightening. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90471/1211%...de%20Final.pdf
    Here is the Idaho STAR article about it. http://idahostar.org/_blog/News_Room...f-pilot-lesson

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Many jobsites that I work are "hi-viz", meaning if your shirt or coat isn't fluorescent green or orange, you'll have to wear a hi-viz vest or you don't work. It does make it a lot easier to be seen but if your mind isn't focused on the task at hand, you can be overlooked.

Last week my wife and I were riding to Quincy. As we were going through a small town at about 22 MPH in a 25 MPH zone a delivery truck pulled out in front of us to cross the road about 30 yards in front of us. I slowed quickly as the driver sped across the road but didn't need to lock the brakes or anything drastic. The point is the driver looked right at us before pulling out into the intersection. My wife and I both wear hi-vis green jackets, white helmets, and our headlights are always on bright during the day.

Just remember there are a lot of stupid people out there! Just don't let any of them find you!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    The point is the driver looked right at us before pulling out into the intersection. My wife and I both wear hi-vis green jackets, white helmets, and our headlights are always on bright during the day.

Just remember there are a lot of stupid people out there! Just don't let any of them find you!
    The scary part is that, as the RAF pilot writes, just because a car driver doesn't see you does not in any way mean they are stupid. They are just being human. But there are a lot of stupid drivers out there, I'll grant you that.

Our brains focus on motion, not stationary objects. That's why I have a headlight modulator.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Our brains focus on motion, not stationary objects. That's why I have a headlight modulator.
    I have a headlight modulator on my VStar for that reason, but even that isn't enough sometimes. I've had soccer moms (distracted) pull out right in front of both me on my VStar and Jane on her Spyder - only a blast from my horn got her attention.

Having said that, does anyone have a modulator on their LED headlights?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Having said that, does anyone have a modulator on their LED headlights?
    I do. It's a Kisan modulator, https://kisantech.com/mag/pathblazer/p115w-h3.html, made for LED headlights. I have it wired into the high beam power lead as it powers the headlights in both high and low beam mode. I don't have time to look for and post my wiring diagram right now, but will try to do it later next week when I'm back home after the 4th.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Modulator for LED headlights

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I do. It's a Kisan modulator, https://kisantech.com/mag/pathblazer/p115w-h3.html, made for LED headlights. I have it wired into the high beam power lead as it powers the headlights in both high and low beam mode. I don't have time to look for and post my wiring diagram right now, but will try to do it later next week when I'm back home after the 4th.
    That's helpful. Thanks a lot
    2014 RTL Platinum