Thread: RT Towing

Spyder Garage

Default RT Towing

I just ran across this product while looking for ways to transport my RT. Has anyone heard of this or better yet used it? Probably have to remove the windshield though. I think it looks pretty neat!

Thoughts or comments please.....

Thanks!

http://motorcycle-rack.com/CanAm_Tow_System.html
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Curious.

This does eliminate the issues of having to remove the drive belt, but it leaves me with two questions:

1. Do you have to lock the front wheels? How do you do that? If not, how do you keep the bike rolling straight?
    2. Will your car or truck block enough air that the windshield isn't unduly stressed?

Otherwise, MUCH less expensive that a trailer.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Seems there's an older discussion about this, and I don't recall anyone on SL posting any personal experiences either. I followed that thread for a while, but only folks posting their negative thoughts and whatnot.

I too find it interesting, and wondered about towing behind other vehicles even. Aerodynamic "rotor turbulence" from the tow vehicle should limit the windshield pressure (unless you're towing it behind something really low and streamlined).

Still never seen one on the road. Wonder how many they've sold.. be nice to get some testimony's on that page or on one of the forums.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Seems there's an older discussion about this, and I don't recall anyone on SL posting any personal experiences either. I followed that thread for a while, but only folks posting their negative thoughts and whatnot.

I too find it interesting, and wondered about towing behind other vehicles even. Aerodynamic "rotor turbulence" from the tow vehicle should limit the windshield pressure (unless you're towing it behind something really low and streamlined).

Still never seen one on the road. Wonder how many they've sold.. be nice to get some testimony's on that page or on one of the forums.
    I've got a call in to the guy. I'll add any info I can glean from this guy and put it on this thread. I too would like to see some testimonials regarding this product. The secretary says that they sell quite a few of them.
    Stay tuned....
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Have seen the ads before but have not seen it on the road or know anyone who has. The windshield is always mentioned when towing or trailering backwards. My question is mostly the fact that the nose does dip and how much clearance will you have if you have added bumpskids or other items to the front end. I would imagine that the front wheels will track and turn without a problem. Someone must have actual experience...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS DEVICE

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    I've got a call in to the guy. I'll add any info I can glean from this guy and put it on this thread. I too would like to see some testimonials regarding this product. The secretary says that they sell quite a few of them.
    Stay tuned....
    Look at ( in their Ad ) Pic # 3 ....... that alone scares the crap out of me ....... plus the angle of the Spyder changes the dynamics of the front suspension ( imho ) and I'm not sure it will support the weight the same way it does when it's Flat .....Mike

Spyder Garage

The photo looks like it is on an RV. Any one that has an RV knows how much it can porpoise when the road is wavie or when you hit a dip. Not to mention pulling on and off uneven road surfaces. I would think that the nose of the bike will get trashed.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I just got off the phone with this guy. To the question regardiing the angle of the Spyder relative to the ground when mounted: The man says that the angle is adjustable. There are 4 holes for varying heights so you can adjust accordingly. He also said that you have to be careful with driveways, restaurants, etc. when pulliing in or leaving. (That kinda goes without saying). With regard to steering: The man says that people have taken those adjustable locking straps (tie-down straps) and attached one on each side from the handlebar to the footpeg. He says this offers more stability however they are not needed. (If I get this thing, I would surely use them!) The man also says no one has complained about the windshield being stressed. (I would still remove it. It's not hard to do). He says that your vehicle tail lights and turn signals are visible with the Spyder in tow however he said people have purchased cheap red LEDs and affixed them to the fenders of the Spyder.

BOY, I sure wish there was someone out there who has used one of these things and would get on here and give us the "skinny" on this product!!
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

So the manufacturer could't offer any referrals or testimonials from actual purchasers?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I guess if you are interested in grinding the entire nose off of your Spyder, then go for it.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)