Spyder Garage

Default Headlights are single filament H7 - How do they work Hi/Lo?

After 8 years of riding, I finally burned out the left headlight. Per owner's manual, I pulled the dash cluster and the rubber cover but seated on the bike, I couldn't get leverage to pop off bulb. Called dealer, who couldn't give me any tips, refused to let me drive by to pop it off...wanted me to wait 2 weeks for appt and have it in the shop for a week. Instead, drove over to an (chain) Auto parts. With the windshield off, from that angle facing the rear, he had it off in seconds.

My question: the old bulb was a H7, single filament.
    just 2 wires into socket. is it one hot and one ground wire to socket? then more juice is put in for high beam? if that's the case, then how is the high beam focused indifferent direction?

Or is the socket grounded and the two wires are both hot?

I'm confused. On my old Honda and previous cars, the bulb was a dual filament for hi/low
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

The headlight on the Spyder is a single filament bulb and serves as the high and low beam. There is a solenoid inside the headlight assembly that when energized it lifts the shutter up so the full power of the light is projected out giving you the high beam function. When you select low beam the solenoid is de-energized and the shutter dropped down to cut off the top half of the light.

Spyder Garage

Angry So That's whats wrong. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    The headlight on the Spyder is a single filament bulb and serves as the high and low beam. There is a solenoid inside the headlight assembly that when energized it lifts the shutter up so the full power of the light is projected out giving you the high beam function. When you select low beam the solenoid is de-energized and the shutter dropped down to cut off the top half of the light.
    My wife's left light looks the same, with Lo or Hi beam. She always gets the headlight flash when riding at night. I bet the left side is staying open all the time.

Is it possible to switch over to H-4 bulbs? I have 10-12 H-4s. Adding a wire would be a wiring nightmare.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    ah so, thanks shipmate
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting