Spyder Garage

Default What Gauge Wire Is Needed

OK gang. Just discovered the tech forgot to hook up the USB's in my new top case. I can see the prongs hanging down. I found the accessory plug under the seat. I have no idea what gauge(size) wire to use. I know speaker wire is out. Probably need maybe 10' tops. My luck I will have to buy a whole roll of it. LOL Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not take it back and insist that they finish the job ??

If you do it yourself, you really should use ready-made USB cable with connectors just to be sure you don't cross up the pins.
    It isn't very heavy wire; max of about 25 watts.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you shouldn't need any speaker wire. The harness is plug and play. Did you buy the amp as well, it's a seperate item. If you bought the amp, no need for any other wires.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Why not take it back and insist that they finish the job ??

If you do it yourself, you really should use ready-made USB cable with connectors just to be sure you don't cross up the pins.
    It isn't very heavy wire; max of about 25 watts.
    Dealer is 2 hours away. Trying not to go back just for this. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    you shouldn't need any speaker wire. The harness is plug and play. Did you buy the amp as well, it's a seperate item. If you bought the amp, no need for any other wires.

Yes I bought the amp. Didn't see any unused plugs. What do they look like? Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Yes I bought the amp. Didn't see any unused plugs. What do they look like? Tom
    Mine was wrapped down and toward the front, almost back under the front seat. Has a boot covering the two female wire connectors. Need to unhook, un tie wrap the cable to make it stretch out long enough to connect to the USB plug. Hard to see which is + and which is - on the USB. I went ahead and ran new wire with connectors. Need to start the bike to determine which is the + wire on the bike.
    A PITA but doable.
    Pat
    SIGPIC]2

2016 F3T Lamonster RIP boards, fog lights, Longhorn mirror lights, power plate. SpyderPops skid plate. Painted the silver air intake and grill.

Spyder Garage

Default wire gage

I use 16 gage for high power lights & heated gear.
    18 gage for items like USB, Phone & GPS.

To choose an adequate wire gauge, determine the amp draw (amperage) that the wire circuit will carry. Then measure the distance that the wire will travel (length) including the length of the return to ground (the ground wire running to the chassis or back to a ground block or battery. Using these two numbers, Amps and length, locate the nearest gauge value in chart below. For 6 volt automotive systems typically a wire gauge 2 sizes larger than what is shown should be used.

Amps
    @ 12 Volts
    LENGTH OF WIRE
    American Wire Gauge (AWG)

3'
    5'
    7'
    10'
    15'
    20'

David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clark View Post
    Mine was wrapped down and toward the front, almost back under the front seat. Has a boot covering the two female wire connectors. Need to unhook, un tie wrap the cable to make it stretch out long enough to connect to the USB plug. Hard to see which is + and which is - on the USB. I went ahead and ran new wire with connectors. Need to start the bike to determine which is the + wire on the bike.
    A PITA but doable.
    Pat
    I have found all that. Don't know if that will stretch far enough. Probably a lot easier to run 2 wires. Only need a couple of feet. Tom

Spyder Garage

SUCCESS! Thanks to all we got it working. Had to cut some of the tape to lengthen the cable. Rolled the cover back. Wife got her small hand under the top case and pushed the male connectors on. Used a needle nose plier to push the cover on. Fired up the bike. The outlet lite up blue. Phone charges, all set. This site comes to the rescue once again! Thanks guys. Tom