Spyder Garage

Default Permit requirement for Canadians in the US ?

Hi,

I have find some post about this question but they all are pretty old now.

I'm looking to find if I can ride anywhere in the US with my class 6E permit from Quebec.

Here, it's a special class tha allows us to drive 3 wheeled motorcycle.

I have read that in the US, it's a state regislation and so it might be different from one state to the other.

Anyone have more information about this ?

Thanks for your help !
    2016 F3T , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are licensed to operate a motorcycle (either two-, or three-wheeled): all of the States will recognize that license as being valid here.
    There are even some States that don't require a motorcycle endorsement to operate a Spyder. Anyone who rides into a State that DOES require the endorsement, is still legal. This is because the Home State (or Province) regulations, are the ones that apply.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok

You should be fine. In California a Motorcycle endorsement is not required to ryde a Spyder and other states honor our state regulation when we ryde outside of California! We sure enjoyed staying in your beautiful town of Sherbrooke while we were there for homecoming!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default When in doubt....

I always went to the local AAA and got an international drivers license and never had a problem. Here two pictures and ten buck and you have in right then and there and good for a year. It will state you are licenced to drive all types listed on your current license....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I always went to the local AAA and got an international drivers license and never had a problem. Here two pictures and ten buck and you have in right then and there and good for a year. It will state you are licenced to drive all types listed on your current license....
    I've done that too a time or two.
    But never REALLY knew if it really accomplished anything useful or not.......because I never had to use it for anything.

I kind of got the feeling that it really was not a legal document for anything useful.

Spyder Garage

If you are properly licensed in your State, or Province, to drive the vehicle, you are good to go wherever you want in the US.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Quebec visitor

Thanks everyone !

Maybe you'll see my red F3T in a couple of weeks !
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah....

I always used them when traveling and have been stopped here in spain and france for border and check points and the occasional misconduct and they always worked. Though confused some out of the way cops they always accepted it. But you are right seldom have to show it....

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I've done that too a time or two.
    But never REALLY knew if it really accomplished anything useful or not.......because I never had to use it for anything.

I kind of got the feeling that it really was not a legal document for anything useful.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We sure enjoyed staying in your beautiful town of Sherbrooke while we were there for homecoming!

Sherbrooke is a nice little town.

Weather wasn't nice at all but I'm glad you had a good time here.

I rode a little that week-end and ended up in Valcourt Saturday morning. It was really funny to see all those spyder. We sure have a lot around on the road, but never as much as that homecoming week-end.
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Driver's License in USA for Canadians

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi, I have find some post about this question but they all are pretty old now. I'm looking to find if I can ride anywhere in the US with my class 6E permit from Quebec. Here, it's a special class tha allows us to drive 3 wheeled motorcycle. I have read that in the US, it's a state regislation and so it might be different from one state to the other. Anyone have more information about this ? Thanks for your help !
    No need for a special license. Your Quebec Driver's License is your authority to operate the Spyder. Enjoy the trips!
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Permit Required

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you are licensed to operate a motorcycle (either two-, or three-wheeled): all of the States will recognize that license as being valid here.
    There are even some States that don't require a motorcycle endorsement to operate a Spyder. Anyone who rides into a State that DOES require the endorsement, is still legal. This is because the Home State (or Province) regulations, are the ones that apply.
    In Idaho, if you have a motorcycle endorsement for a two wheeled motorcycle, you can legally ride either the Spyder or the conventional motorcycle. If you have taken the course for the Spyder, and obtained the endorsement for it, you may not ride a two wheeled bike.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    In Idaho, if you have a motorcycle endorsement for a two wheeled motorcycle, you can legally ride either the Spyder or the conventional motorcycle. If you have taken the course for the Spyder, and obtained the endorsement for it, you may not ride a two wheeled bike.
    You better check that again. The Spyder is classified as a m/c and requires a m/c endorsement. The Slingshot (three wheels, steering wheel, and not straddle seating) is classified as an autocycle and does not require a m/c endorsement to drive. There is no three wheel endorsement in Idaho.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)