Thread: Rte 66

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rte 66

What are the most ideal months to travel Route 66 west to east?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default DEPENDS

DEPENDS....
    1. what part of 66 do you want to ride...?
    2. what type of weather you like...?
    3. whats your choices for various sites to see...?
    4. etc etc etc...
    I'd say Rt. 66 can be enjoyed from January thru December... it's always a good ride... i know, i've done a good part of it, with both cars & SPYDERs...... keep in mind, you'll be riding thru the down-towns of some rather large cities, and you'll also be riding in Nowheresville, USA... there are some parts that are unbelievably beautiful, some busy, and some so boring you wanna cry... but all-in-all, it's an AWESOME trip....
    ride safely and enjoy....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, being from Barstow I don't think you'll have any problems with the heat. IIRC I was through there once and the big thermometer read 103 at 11pm at night. So, any season's gotta be fine for you, except maybe encountering the odd ice storm in mid winter.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I followed most of it and was on some of it on my rides to Spyderfest both in Cuba and Springfield. Never got past Cuba and I don't know if its really worth the effort. But in order to say you did it ya gotta go to Chicago and get a pizza. I do plan to go to Santa Monica on the actual highway soon. There are some very iconic spots along the way. Its only about 2+ hrs by freeway but if you go via the byway and see stuff it will take a couple of days. I actually live on 66 and see the bikes and caravans all the time. I'm 66 years old. Really! Time to do it.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

In May 2015, on our 2013 RT, my wife and I started at Santa Monica pier and went as far as Gallup NM. Weather was mild then, 70's - 80's going thru L.A. and the deserts of CA and AZ. We had snow in Flagstaff where we spent the night, 4" the next morning but the roads were dry so no problem. Great trip; I loved the Burma Shave signs in AZ.
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6

Spyder Garage

I am SO GLAD we live in a country where we have the freedom to enjoy the adventure around every corner. No matter who is in the WH or Congress they cannot take that away from us. God bless our American military.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    What are the most ideal months to travel Route 66 west to east?
    Being you're from Barstow you know what the western part is like in the summer.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Being you're from Barstow you know what the western part is like in the summer.
    Oh I do know. I have lived in it all my life including Death Valley. The heat gets old as you get old.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

On my list as well i have may allof 6miles of it image.jpg
    so far anyway trying to plan out sections & locations to try first.
    Looking primarily for section where the sinage is painted on road:image.jpg any trip will be fun, just want to maxamise my timing

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Rte 66

Almost any time , but the northern part can be nasty early in the season , I would thing May-June . I love all the tourist traps that are still left, and we even stayed in one out of Rancho Cucamonga , I just love saying that towns name !
    Route 66 morning ride 009.jpg Route 66 2-21-15 001.jpg Route 66 2-21-15 002.jpg Long way home 002.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Almost any time , but the northern part can be nasty early in the season , I would thing May-June . I love all the tourist traps that are still left, and we even stayed in one out of Rancho Cucamonga , I just love saying that towns name !
    Route 66 morning ride 009.jpg Route 66 2-21-15 001.jpg Route 66 2-21-15 002.jpg Long way home 002.jpg
    Holland Burger is in Victorville, about 30 minutes from here. It was featured in Diners, Driveins and Dives. Breakfast and Lunch only. Elmers Bottle Ranch near Helendale. The Wigwam hotel. There are a couple locations but I believe this one is in San Bernardino. I hear the owner is a real jerk and will try to charge you for taking a picture while on and of the property. Rancho Cucamonga used to be called Cucamonga. Not sure why the name change. I guess the residents there got upset when on the Soupy Sales Show they were referred to as kooks.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Any time after mid September until mid October should be good. BTW Desert Spyder, my wife and I were in your tree last July on our Goldwings.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Any time after mid September until mid October should be good. BTW Desert Spyder, my wife and I were in your tree last July on our Goldwings.
    My tree? lol
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Leave from the West when you're warm enough...

Oklahoma and Missouri should be fine in May other than some showers and changeable temps. The springtime westerlies should push you along for the most part...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Oklahoma and Missouri should be fine in May other than some showers and changeable temps. The springtime westerlies should push you along for the most part...
    The operative word is 'should'! On my way back from Spyderfest in May 2015 I rode much of Rt 66 from Springfield, MO to NM. At Warwick, OK I had to leave Rt 66 and drop straight south to I-40 to get out of the path of a tornado that was projected to track right up Rt 66! I spent the night in Shawnee and watched on TV as the tornado ripped up Oklahoma City!

I also got drenched in a thunderstorm as I came into Claremore, OK the evening before!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)