Spyder Garage

Default How useful is Eco Mode? How easy to learn when to shift?

New driver, how useful (and accurate) is it to learn when to shift?
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    For me it was kind of useless. If you shift when it tells you, it will result in better gas consumption but super clunky, crappy shifts. Lets face it, most of us arent really watching the fuel consumption too closely, which im pretty sure that the intention of eco really is.
    I turned that off and found that shifting at 4000 rpm's is the sweet spot. Extremely smooth shifts. And for downshifting 3000 is the best for our F3L. Nice seamless shifts.
    Last edited by Slowpoke387; 06-24-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Total waste of technology if you ask me. Useless feature....Just run her up to 3800-4200 RPM's in each gear and then shift up.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I don't use it. It will save you about 1 mpg if you use it faithfully and shift when it tells you.

I am guessing you have a 1330. The "happy" place is 3500 rpms or so on mine--yours may be slightly different. You will get used to the engine sound and shift accordingly.

Also, I do not like the distraction of having to look for the green arrow telling me when.

PS. Thanks for bring up the subject. I can do my usual rant. Keep the eco-mode and give me back my electronic trunk release.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

FWIW, on page 31 of the owners manual it states, The ECO setting reduces fuel consumption by limiting throttle response and maximum throttle opening to maintain an optimal cruising setting. When I first picked mine up it was engaged. I had a hard time passing vehicles as the Spyder felt like something was wrong with the power output. Once I read the handbook, I shut that crap off and now have full throttle response and maximum throttle opening. Don't use it unless you want a loss of power. To get rid of it simply press the mode button for 2 seconds when in the main screen..
    Last edited by Maddoggie501; 06-24-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

I agree with all the previous posts. I do however keep it on as it seems to remind me when I'm in annoying traffic. If you are learning don't rely on it, listen to the engine, it's a good habit to get into. Using the ECO is a crutch, don't get use to it. You need to look where you are going not focusing on the dash. Good luck and ride safe.
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

I NEVER use it.

using the ECO mode caused::::::: Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
    I agree with all the previous posts. I do however keep it on as it seems to remind me when I'm in annoying traffic. If you are learning don't rely on it, listen to the engine, it's a good habit to get into. Using the ECO is a crutch, don't get use to it. You need to look where you are going not focusing on the dash. Good luck and ride safe.
    While I agree with most of what you're saying I have to disagree with "listen to the engine, it's a good habit to get in to". Many, many people that shifted their v-twins by listening to the engine were lugging the crap out of it, if you are just learning about your Spyder you should check your tach and shift at the suggested points. Then once your ear is trained to the sound at the correct rpm you can shift by the sound of it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COMMON SENSE SHIFTING

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    While I agree with most of what you're saying I have to disagree with "listen to the engine, it's a good habit to get in to". Many, many people that shifted their v-twins by listening to the engine were lugging the crap out of it, if you are just learning about your Spyder you should check your tach and shift at the suggested points. Then once your ear is trained to the sound at the correct rpm you can shift by the sound of it.
    Ahhhhhhh now this is something I can agree with .......... I generally have my RT in Eco mode .... I pay NO attention to the Green arrow ...... When I'm in the twistie's and cranking it .... I turn it off .......... It's probably saving me some gas 3/4 of the time .................... jmho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

Ever since they put the eco mode in (to apease the epa) it has shown very little savings in gas consumption. Some of the original testers found at best you could save 1 mpg but kill the fun of the machine.. want great gas mileage get a moped... best eco friendly unit around..pedal till engine starts and when your out of gas....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It will allow you to shift a bit earlier, and it limits and slows the throttle response...

ECO Mode.jpg
    But the Green Arrow might be considered a dangerous feature, as it diverts your attention from the road in front of you.
    I used if for a tankful of fuel once, and the savings was minuscule...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hate it. I have only used it a few times but the loss in performance is significant and if I use their shift points, I lose mileage. My last tank using ECO was a bit over 32 MPG. My last tank without ECO was over 39 MPG. My normal mileage without ECO is about 37 MPG.

Spyder Garage

I tried using it, I noticed when I took off on first it would sometimes go up into the 4000s RPM before arrow came on, after that it would tell me to shift at low 3000s. I also noticed sometimes it would tell me to shift without increasing speed or RPMs. I found myself concentrating on how often it was off than paying attention to more important things. Much happier not using it.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Interesting... Our 2015 ST Limited doesn't have this feature and we are considering moving up to a new RT. So I downloaded the 188 page user manual for the 2021 RT Limited and searched on "ECO mode". It appeared in one location (pg 31) that shows how to turn it ON and OFF. Absolutely no other explanation of what it does!! Most likely the best evidence that it's pretty useless.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

This thread is 4 years old, wife got her F3s and doesn't experience difficulty passing in eco mode.
    As others said ignore the dash and go by sounds and feel.

Spyder Garage

Tried it once, couldn’t drive it like I stole it.

Spyder Garage

Useless, they could have better spent money manufacturing mirrors locks, decent adjustable handlebars, garage door openers, etc. etc.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like BK911, I run Eco mode 90% of the time. I shift by sound and feel not by the green arrow. When I want to pass somebody I hit Eco Boost and away we go! Finding the sweet spot to shift all depends on how far you've twisted your wrist.