Spyder Garage

Default Ex-Dealership Maintenance Issues with Can-Am

I went to my (now former) dealer to make an appointment for the periodic maintenance required to maintain warranty (and it's a darned good idea to begin with) only to learn that they can no longer connect to Can-Am computers to update the maintenance records or read codes, etc. As the company was not selling 25 Spyders a year ( about 12 on the average), but losing money because of the demand by Can-Am that a dealer MUST 'buy' 25 Spyders a year. As they dropped the Spyder dealership (they still sell quite a few Can-Am 4 wheelers), Can-Am dropped them from the maintenance computers. And Can-Am will no longer sell them the parts they would need to perform any routine maintenance, let alone that new engine. So now, for periodic warranty maintenance, the hundred or so of us in the area who ryde Spyders, must now drive between 100 and 150 miles for service that requires connection to a Can-Am server or parts. Way to go Can-Am! Lets us know that after the sale, you'll take care of us. Sorry. A bit miffed. Maybe I was spoiled that I had a dealer only 15 miles from my home. I know others drive much longer distances for service. I've now joined you. Howdy!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear another "dealer fail" story.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry to hear another "dealer fail" story.
    Sounds more like a Can Am failure (unless the dealer wasn't doing the right sales efforts to sell Spyders). Having travelled through LA a number of times I would think this area of the country would be much more involved with off-road vehicles than Spyders.

That said, if you are in the area and looking for an interesting destination, head on down to Lake Charles and visit the USS Orleck museum ship. She was my home for three years during the Vietnam War and is the most decorated destroyer of the era (Korea and Vietnam). She also served many years in the Turkish navy. Although these ships had an intended life of but 10 years Orleck served from 1945-1982 before being sold to Turkey. She then patrolled the Black Sea for another decade and a half before being brought back to the States. Quite the lifetime for an old Tin Can.

Spyder Garage

Default Ships and Dealerships

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Sounds more like a Can Am failure (unless the dealer wasn't doing the right sales efforts to sell Spyders). Having travelled through LA a number of times I would think this area of the country would be much more involved with off-road vehicles than Spyders.

That said, if you are in the area and looking for an interesting destination, head on down to Lake Charles and visit the USS Orleck museum ship. She was my home for three years during the Vietnam War and is the most decorated destroyer of the era (Korea and Vietnam). She also served many years in the Turkish navy. Although these ships had an intended life of but 10 years Orleck served from 1945-1982 before being sold to Turkey. She then patrolled the Black Sea for another decade and a half before being brought back to the States. Quite the lifetime for an old Tin Can.
    Living in Wilder, Idaho; the nearest dealership is perhaps 14 miles away in Caldwell. Obviously they must sell over 12 Spyder's a year, and I've never had any complaint with service, or parts. And like most dealerships, they pick the bike up, and drop it off for free.
    The one tin can I was on, was the USS Damato (DD 871). Commissioned in 1946, I served on it in 1977, and it was eventually sold to Chile. It was a good first ship, small in size and crew, something that I'd recommend for any new Sailor going on sea duty for the first time. Better than being a member of a faceless crew on an aircraft carrier. But all crew serving on any ship are important and vital.

Spyder Garage

War stories? 20 year retired Navy JO. 2 1/2 years on various admiral staffs at sea, underway as staff JO. the balance in PAO or AFRTS stations overseas. Only 3 years in US. And that was AFRTS Hollywood. Yes, I DID see the world. Now, my goal this year is to finish the states I missed on the trip to Valcourt. I want to see all 57.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BUMMER

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I went to my (now former) dealer to make an appointment for the periodic maintenance required to maintain warranty (and it's a darned good idea to begin with) only to learn that they can no longer connect to Can-Am computers to update the maintenance records or read codes, etc. As the company was not selling 25 Spyders a year ( about 12 on the average), but losing money because of the demand by Can-Am that a dealer MUST 'buy' 25 Spyders a year. As they dropped the Spyder dealership (they still sell quite a few Can-Am 4 wheelers), Can-Am dropped them from the maintenance computers. And Can-Am will no longer sell them the parts they would need to perform any routine maintenance, let alone that new engine. So now, for periodic warranty maintenance, the hundred or so of us in the area who ryde Spyders, must now drive between 100 and 150 miles for service that requires connection to a Can-Am server or parts. Way to go Can-Am! Lets us know that after the sale, you'll take care of us. Sorry. A bit miffed. Maybe I was spoiled that I had a dealer only 15 miles from my home. I know others drive much longer distances for service. I've now joined you. Howdy!
    That's just wrong

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Didn't know they dropped the service if they had qualified factory trained techs and parts..wow..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer drop

Which dealer in our area dropped?
    Loving the RYDE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PERIODIC MAINENANCE

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Mr. ricford .... you've been misinformed .... according to the Moss- Magnussen Act you only need to perform or have performed ( by someone ) all the required maintenance using equal or products exceeding BRP's spec's to maintain your Warranty..... This is the LAW ( but not in Canada )....... keep accurate records with receipts etc............ this is Exactly what I have ALWAYS done with my vehicles, this way I don't have to rely on people who may not know what they are doing ( but swore they did ) and my stuff isn't accidently ( or purposely ) damaged by careless people ........ which according to members here happens ALL TO FREQUENTLY ................ jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

They don't need to connect to Can Am computers to read codes, or do any of the resets that might be needed. They should already have had the BUDS system is their shop. They can renew their dealer license if they want to.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    They don't need to connect to Can Am computers to read codes, or do any of the resets that might be needed. They should already have had the BUDS system is their shop. They can renew their dealer license if they want to.
    You are partly correct, they can hook you up to BUDS but they will not be able to write anything to BRP's system. They also can't do warranty work. They can get software updates by purchasing a BUDS license from other sources but they cannot access the BOSS system. BOSS is strictly for their dealers.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622