Spyder Garage

Default There Goes My three-day ride to the Blue Ridge Parkway

Cruising through Ohio on Interstate 35 towards Blue Ridge Parkway when I pulled off the interstate to a stop light. Everything was lovely. Lightly accelerated upon a green light and then suddenly a loud tapping noise from the engine bay that sped up with the RPMs of the engine. Sounds like broken valve stem or broken lifter causing valve head to strike piston head. Towed the bike to Middleton Cycles and they will not be able to get to it for 2 weeks. So much for my Scenic weekend plans. Anybody else have a similar problem that can diagnose based upon the above?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    Cruising through Ohio on Interstate 35 towards Blue Ridge Parkway when I pulled off the interstate to a stop light. Everything was lovely. Lightly accelerated upon a green light and then suddenly a loud tapping noise from the engine bay that sped up with the RPMs of the engine. Sounds like broken valve stem or broken lifter causing valve head to strike piston head. Towed the bike to Middleton Cycles and they will not be able to get to it for 2 weeks. So much for my Scenic weekend plans. Anybody else have a similar problem that can diagnose based upon the above?
    Two weeks before they can help with a road emergency? What happened to customer service? Looks like they are promoting another black eye for the brand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You can't blame a service dept. They have schedules and. Customers also. If it was a minor repair then you or complain. But with the labor and parts involved its not a quick fix.
    So as a former dealership owner best to over deliver than to over promise
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Probably one tech that services the Spyder??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I had a valve spring break on my '14, it took the first dealer a couple weeks for them to look at it then forever to decide they didn't know what was wrong. Then Pitbull had to tear the whole engine apart to figure it out.

Sorry your trip was interrupted. I took the BRP on the way home from Homecoming and it was lovely.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Sadly many dealers work that way. We would at least pulled it apart to see what it was and what was needed. Enevitably it will be weeks for parts.. hope you have some gun alternate plans.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This time of year, two weeks is short. Most dealers at this time of year, four weeks is normal. If it was Dec. 16th, one day would normal.

Spyder Garage

Default Service

Quote Originally Posted by JIM EVANS View Post
    You can't blame a service dept. They have schedules and. Customers also. If it was a minor repair then you or complain. But with the labor and parts involved its not a quick fix.
    So as a former dealership owner best to over deliver than to over promise
    I have to respectfully disagree with you . I worked for a Harley dealer for eight years and when a traveler broke down we got right on it and if we needed parts we overnighted the parts . Harley Davidson has a good service network . I am on a can am f3t now and unfortunately dealers are far and in between . I love the CAN AM but the service is not the best .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billy514 View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with you . I worked for a Harley dealer for eight years and when a traveler broke down we got right on it and if we needed parts we overnighted the parts . Harley Davidson has a good service network . I am on a can am f3t now and unfortunately dealers are far and in between . I love the CAN AM but the service is not the best .
    I had an issue on the way back from Alaska and the dealer in Great Falls, Mont. got right on it for me. But they're not there any more.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Wink

I wasn't surprised at all that it was going to take a couple of weeks because as soon as I heard that tapping, I knew it was serious. It certainly does suck to be off the road this time of year. All I ask is you think of me as you go smiling and cruising down the highway this summer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles on that machine and which one do you have? No modern engine should have that kind of failure ever in normal use.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Purchase new 2015 St Limited 13 months ago. 20000 miles. I like to ride but I do not ride hard.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Purchase new 2015 St Limited 13 months ago. 20000 miles. I like to ride but I do not ride hard.
    Wow. Sure would like to hear how this turns out. That's disturbing you should experience that big a problem so soon in the life of the machine.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Had one fail at the Texas Trike Rally with what turned out to be the same failure. Valve spring that took out cylinder/piston bits. BRP eventually agreed to ship a new engine. 2015 F3. It was just resolved recently by other means. Bike is still not done and rideable.

Hate to say but if its a failed engine as this one was, you are out of service for more than a couple weeks.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Mine also needed an engine. Bro won't tell what went wrong engine went back to factory in Austria
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

I agree the valve spring is the likely culprit. I shut it down within four or five seconds of hearing the valve head slapping the piston. I can't imagine it did that much damage. I'm hoping it's just a spring replacement and not an engine replacement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Wow.That's disturbing you should experience that big a problem so soon in the life of the machine.
    , So far reading thru this post there are 2-'15s and 1-'14 with the same issue. Having a 2015, I am wondering if there are there more out there that haven't been reported???? What's missing is the root cause of this engine failure(bad/weak part)??? Doesn't seem like these 3 Spyders were abused. Hope all were covered by factory or extended warranty.
    Last edited by MikeT; 06-28-2017 at 08:22 AM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I agree the valve spring is the likely culprit. I shut it down within four or five seconds of hearing the valve head slapping the piston. I can't imagine it did that much damage. I'm hoping it's just a spring replacement and not an engine replacement.
    If there was truly ANY contact between the valve and piston, it will be a much more complex repair. The piston should not be left in service and there will most likely need to be valve, valve seat and guide work done. Hopefully it didn't damage the head or the cylinder wall cuz then as others have stated, it would be new engine time!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

The 1330 is a zero clearance engine, there will be damage. The question is, to what extant.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do so much enjoy my time tested 998 engine!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default What a surprise! !

I got a call from Middletown Cycle and they are starting to tear down the trike to determine the problem. Certainly much better than the estimated minimum 2 weeks they told me on Saturday. I have my fingers crossed. May the force be with them!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seems like they are doing right by you after all. Not their fault that they couldn't get to it right away. Some folks (not you) are way to quick to trash the dealer! Hope you get your answers soon so you can get it repaired on the road again!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Psssst

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    The 1330 is a zero clearance engine, there will be damage. The question is, to what extant.
    Not sure this matters as he said he has a 2015 ST, so he has the V-twin!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I got a call from Middletown Cycle and they are starting to tear down the trike to determine the problem. Certainly much better than the estimated minimum 2 weeks they told me on Saturday. I have my fingers crossed. May the force be with them!
    I sent you a pm.