Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Scoops

Spyder Garage

So have you road tested it yet? I am wondering how it works without cutting away the body panels, which sounds like how you installed it.

THanks

Spyder Garage

Default Question??

So the scoops bring in more O/S air------ Where does this air escape to????

Thanks in advance---------Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Most people 2013 and before that added the scoops had already taken off the two lower panels -one were you change the oil and on the other side - So the air flows around the engine and out the bottom or back. I never get over 4 bars on my 2012 RT even in 85-90 degree heat when I'm Moving and in the winter I have been down to 1 bar at times- Now that's cool?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default So Far So Good

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-man View Post
    So have you road tested it yet? I am wondering how it works without cutting away the body panels, which sounds like how you installed it.

THanks
    Glove box seems far cooler so far. Still at 4 bars on temperature, but it is 90 degrees now. Side panels on legs are definitely cooler with the added insulation. Looks like the air flows along the back of engine and under seat out the back. So far do not think I have to open up the hole.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Glove box seems far cooler so far. Still at 4 bars on temperature, but it is 90 degrees now. Side panels on legs are definitely cooler with the added insulation. Looks like the air flows along the back of engine and under seat out the back. So far do not think I have to open up the hole.

Steve
    That's good to know. I installed mine the same way this weekend, haven't had a chance to test drive. Cutting those holes seemed too daunting for me! I was hoping they would still function, and not start whistling or something.
    Last edited by Spider-man; 07-17-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    Looking into buying the Air Scoop kit for my 2014 RTL, I looked up the number here and the forums say BRP# 219800388 is what I need. Anyone know if these kits are still around and where I can order it from?

Thank You!!
    The gas do not boiled anymore

Spyder Garage

Wow! Installed the scoops without cutting the body panels. Amazing difference! The hot air that used to bake my crotch once the engine warmed up is now cool. The engine even runs cooler. Great cheap upgrade!!

Spyder Garage

Default SCOOPS

Got mine installed thanks to a fellow Spiderlovers instructions. Looks great and functional too. You cant beat that with a stick...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    The instructions say to use a spray paint can tube (like a WD40 tube) and some paint to mark the panel, once you have the scoop pressed against it tightly. I have a "dental tool" kit, I just located the best I could and put a poke in the paint. The fun part is after that, you have to go back and forth and guess where the actual drilled hole goes. I started with a 1/16" bit and guessed - all wrong. I used the dental tool to poke through the hole into the scoop to see how far off I was, then re-drilled. Once I got it, used the bigger drill bit. A couple times I had to file a smidge. I only installed 3 screws, one top, bottom and rear. I remembered after I was done (of course!) the trick of using lipstick on the holes, and pressing against the panels so I could actually see where the hole goes. Dunno if it would work, would have to be pro at pressing into place without smearing...
    I just started in on this project and now I understand what this piece of advice is all about. Turns out there are 5 holes need to be drilled into the RT side panel (yes, the big one with the black vent on top near the mirrors!) to attach the new scoop to the RT. 3 of these are easy to get at and can be marked readily enough; the other two are 'blind' (i.e. the places where the holes need to be drilled are inaccessible and so the location needs to be 'marked' somehow so you know where to drill those holes after taking the scoop back off).

I went about that a bit differently; after the scoop was temporarily in place (using the lower screw from the removed air deflector), I placed some painter's tape along the edge of the scoop in the two places where the holes had to go. Then, I used a pencil to mark each hole location along the edge of the tape. After removing the scoop, I measured in 3/16" from the edge of the tape at the pencil mark location and drilled my pilot holes (3/32"). Sorry about the quality of the photo - I'll try to post a better one later.

20170828_200712.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-28-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You're right Mike. The BRP adjustable vents are a better option for the 14 as you can either direct air on you or away from you.
    I'm with Mike and Ann on this one. Have the adjustable vents that allow you to direct air back on you as you ride. Keeps me cool when towing a trailer 2 up at 90 plus, and the temp never gets over half way at 107 in utah.
    At 107 no matter what you do you will be hot.
    Idling along towing the trailer in Zion national park at 107 the fan kicked in a few times, but the temp gauge never got over half way.
    I would miss the air blowing on me, but to each his own.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

when you remove the side tupperwares you will see them. sort of a rectanglish black smc/plastic/fiberglass panel with some holes in it. remove them, throw them away and install the steel brackets. they are sorta below the mirrors and run aft.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Can you describe what these acoustic panels look like, where located, etc? I'm in the middle of this air scoop install but don't have the written instructions that I guess the dealer gets but didn't come with the kit. Thanks.
    PM me your email address and I'll forward the instructions and pictures.

Spyder Garage

I had the scoops put on my 2014 RTS and love them. Made a huge difference with the heat.
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You're right Mike. The BRP adjustable vents are a better option for the 14 as you can either direct air on you or away from you.
    +1 I too, use the adjustable deflectors to keep cool. Living in MN, when the weather starts to turn cold, the heat from the front of the seat is not so objectionable.

Gunner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did the air scoop mod on my magnesium RTL, including sawing away the excess RT panel under the scoop. I also removed the acoustic panels and replaced them with the steel bars that come in the kit. Today I went for a 30 mile fast run up the nearby canyon in 87 degree temps. The glovebox is noticeably cooler; it didn't get hot or even warm. I can only assume that with the much improved airflow over the engine, the engine compartment itself is cooler also. Removing the acoustic panels gives me ready access to the oil filter.

For the cost of the kit, which is very well engineered and a relative bargain, and the easy install (once I got over my fear of cutting into the panels) I think this is a very useful mod and I've ordered another to install on the Cognac RTL.

I also like the way it looks on the bike. I think it provides incrementally better heat control over the cockpit area; not a silver bullet solution but a welcome improvement.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    The above is the same reason I put them on my 2014 RTS...VERY happy with cooler glove box and the looks...I also eliminated the acoustic panels under the painted panels...larryd

Larry, I did the same to my 2012 RT last year and I am glad I did it.
    JW. Metro Atlanta. 2012 RT SE-5, TircLed mirror turn signals, run/turn saddlebag lights, ring of fire, and fender tip lights, ShowChrome backrest,chrome (wide) foot pegs, SpyderPops spyclops, A-arm LED's, JT's USB Port, Digital Voltmeter ( Ebay) and Performance Powersports Scoops.

Spyder Garage

I received the Air Scoops with the plastic templates for free but no instructions.
    Thanks to the documents Doc Riverside sent to me no problems whit installation.

When I had the metal bars assembled and the panel in place I could see electric contacts between them.
    So, I did some mod. to the panels to avoid water etc.

My only doubt is now the amount of water can enter when it rains throught the air scoops whe the Spyder will run.
    Last edited by mcalva; 09-05-2017 at 06:17 AM.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Do you still have those instructions? My kit arrived today. TIA.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JIM EVANS View Post
    I have a set will paint to match. And use them just for cosmetics
    You may be doing yourself a dis-service. Read Mikes post above for the reason.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Oouuuh, I like the look of those scoops. Gotta get those, maybe next month.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I ordered a set and they came today. Can someone shoot me a link or email me the instructions since none come in the box.

Thanks,

Bob
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I ordered a set and they came today. Can someone shoot me a link or email me the instructions since none come in the box.

Thanks,

Bob
    What's your email address?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Got the two PDF's from Doc this morning. One has a step by step with detailed photos and steps to take. I had managed to find the original set of instructions for the '13 heat modification, but they were so poor it was difficult to make sense of what each step was. Hats off to Doc, I owe him a beer. Hopefully I will get this done this weekend.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What's your email address?
    Thanks, Doc already sent them.

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black