Spyder Garage

Default A Magic Mirror update.

I bought my Magic Mirror magnets and installed them on my '14 RT-S. I also bought the wide angle mirrors that stick right over the stock mirrors. So I took a ride to see how everything works. Then I had a problem. I noticed the mirrors needed adjusting. So I switched on my cruise control and with my right hand reached out to adjust the right mirror. Off popped the mirror, fell to the road with a crash and skiddled behind me to rest in the center of the road. I braked hard and turned around to retrieve the wayward mirror. Incredibly it was fine. Even the wide angle mirror was undamaged. I took it home to reattach it. I should say the wires should have held it, but I cut the wires last year when I added mirror lights. The crimp connectors didn't hold.
    I lost reliability in the magnets. So I came up with a solution. I took off the top magnet and put the stock pin setup back on, still using the bottom 2 magnets.
    Problem solved. The mirrors still pop off the way they always did but now I don't think I'm going to damage them doing so.
    The instructions for magnet installation said to use the spacer between the magnet and body. I did that and didn't like that there was still a gap between the mirror and body. So I took out the spacer on the front magnet. Now I have what I wanted, a tight mirror that fits flush and looks like it should.
    Buckeye Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

some have removed the top magnet and reinstalled the top stock clip while leaving the lower two magnets on..

I never liked or trusted butt connectors. Surprised you didn't use a plug adapter with wires you can spice into.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REPLACING OEM POST

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I bought my Magic Mirror magnets and installed them on my '14 RT-S. I also bought the wide angle mirrors that stick right over the stock mirrors. So I took a ride to see how everything works. Then I had a problem. I noticed the mirrors needed adjusting. So I switched on my cruise control and with my right hand reached out to adjust the right mirror. Off popped the mirror, fell to the road with a crash and skiddled behind me to rest in the center of the road. I braked hard and turned around to retrieve the wayward mirror. Incredibly it was fine. Even the wide angle mirror was undamaged. I took it home to reattach it. I should say the wires should have held it, but I cut the wires last year when I added mirror lights. The crimp connectors didn't hold.
    I lost reliability in the magnets. So I came up with a solution. I took off the top magnet and put the stock pin setup back on, still using the bottom 2 magnets.
    Problem solved. The mirrors still pop off the way they always did but now I don't think I'm going to damage them doing so.
    The instructions for magnet installation said to use the spacer between the magnet and body. I did that and didn't like that there was still a gap between the mirror and body. So I took out the spacer on the front magnet. Now I have what I wanted, a tight mirror that fits flush and looks like it should.
    Buckeye Chuck
    Chuck, glad you discovered this improvement ....... however Lamont and I posted this fix a couple of days ago ..... It's amazing what you can learn on this forum, if your able to monitor it regularly ........... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-23-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Never

Adjust your mirrors while riding and you will avoid them falling off. I have had the magic mirrors on a little more than 2 months without issue. For safety I used the tethers.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know...

New products will always need the ultimate "Joe Public" testing to see how well they really are. Thanks for posting your problem and solution will help make mods to the system where needed....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Adjust your mirrors while riding and you will avoid them falling off. I have had the magic mirrors on a little more than 2 months without issue. For safety I used the tethers.

And I am using the tethers also!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Agree completely!

We did a set this weekend. I did not like the front edge gap, or why the top post needed to be replaced. I think if the magnets are to replace the clips, leave the top post alone. Drop the price 33%, and only provide the bottom two.
    Vicky, call Ann.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We did a set this weekend. I did not like the front edge gap, or why the top post needed to be replaced. I think if the magnets are to replace the clips, leave the top post alone. Drop the price 33%, and only provide the bottom two.
    Vicky, call Ann.
    That's a GREAT idea.
    Except I don't know Vicky, or Ann.
    But I'd consider the Magic Mirrors with this configuration.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have a set of 'em and love em. No problems at all. To me it only makes sense to add a tether, if for no other reason, to hold them while they hang there during service. I personally used a 6" steel fishing leader on each one. I tried a set of "knock-offs" that someone else made, and they were far inferior to the Magic Mirrors. I wonder if some folks just are not getting the M/M's installed properly?
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[Never] Adjust your mirrors while riding and you will avoid them falling off. I have had the magic mirrors on a little more than 2 months without issue. For safety I used the tethers.
    And you won't run off the road, cross into another lane, run into a ditch or hit someone or something!
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 06-23-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Corrected grammar
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

I really like mine. I too built a tether, but that's just because I'm being paranoid. Leave the OEM top bracket in place or use all three magnet, either way it is a brilliant solution to a problematic design.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Reply

Yes, I was lucky to still have my stock mirrors. Somebody (me) thought the mirrors would hold tight. But I added the wide angle mirrors and sitting still couldn't get a good view of what's behind.
    Forget the tethers, don't need them. Using the top stock pin you don't have to worry about them falling off.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default Funny,

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Chuck, glad you discovered this improvement ....... however Lamont and I posted this fix a couple of days ago ..... It's amazing what you can learn on this forum, if your able to monitor it regularly ........... Mike
    It's strange I couldn't find anything from you or Lamont posting anything about this. I read SL.com every day. I posted this because I didn't want anybody to experience the same problem I had.
    What the heck....
    Buck

Spyder Garage

Default Vicky, Ann?

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Vicky, call Ann.
    Yup, hey, I have 2 magnets stuck to my workbench at home gathering dust. Maybe another rider has 2 also. We can get together and make a deal! But package them better than what I had delivered to my mailbox. They were at my home for a few days before I found them, stuck to the top of my steel box. Comical. Chuck

Spyder Garage

Mine will be here tomorrow. Good thing I have a plastic mail box.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Yup, hey, I have 2 magnets stuck to my workbench at home gathering dust. Maybe another rider has 2 also. We can get together and make a deal! But package them better than what I had delivered to my mailbox. They were at my home for a few days before I found them, stuck to the top of my steel box. Comical. Chuck
    I am probably going to leave the factory top one on. If so we could sell together. I will let you know tomorrow when they get here.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    ..... I wonder if some folks just are not getting the M/M's installed properly?
    The more I hear of 'poor alignment', 'ugly gaps', & things like mirrors falling off while adjusting them, the more I think that there's gotta be a WHOLE LOT of that out there?!?

But I just can't come to grips with the HOW?!?

They really aren't hard to install at all; it's a very simple & straightforward process that even the most inept home spanner-spinner should be able to do without any supervision or prior knowledge apart from reading the instruction sheet/maybe watching one or more of the videos (there are now some damn good videos out there showing 'how to'); but if there are ANY with 'poor alignment' or 'ugly gaps' or even mirrors 'just falling off while adjusting', & it seems there are, then there's just gotta be some issues with their installation & therefore magic mirror magnets out there that AREN'T & CAN'T have been installed properly?!? But HOW?!?

Ps: we must have different RT mirror mounts here in Oz, the MAJOR reason behind developing these in the first place was the poor quality & repeated failure of the TOP OE mirror mounts; the additional issues with the bottom mounts/clips eventually starting to bend & fail too was just the final impetus for replacing them ALL, instead of just replacing the top pellets & pins?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

I agree, I love my MM, I just went out and adjusted my mirrors and all was good. I can't see them knocking off that easy. Mine are all staying, but will install tether now. Good luck.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE ANSWER IS

It's strange I couldn't find anything from you or Lamont posting anything about this. I read SL.com every day. I posted this because I didn't want anybody to experience the same problem I had.
    What the heck....
    Buck
    The postings were on this Thread ...." Magic Mirrors causing guages to misread " ...LaMonts was post #9 & mine was post #11

Spyder Garage

i too have the M M's and tricled wide mirrors. also homemade tethers . have
    adjusted them with no probs. maybe one of those 1 in a million things. im
    happy with both products.--irv
    Last edited by irvin48; 06-26-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

I also have MM's installed per instructions, did have the too large front gap, did remove that spacer, using all three magnets each side, have the TricLED Wide-Vue mirrors and rode 1700 miles of Midwest roads this weekend, no problems! And I can categorically say that NE, SD, and ND roads are much bumpier than MN roads. My Fitbit told me so....57,000 plus steps recorded while riding the Smackdab Saturday, rode 500 miles to the start and 500 miles back home, only got half as many steps recorded.... Mirrors didn't wiggle, bounce or come off. No tethers here either.. Not arguing, just my own personal experience.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just my own experience too.
    Put them on prior to going across country and back plus extra distance. So they have over 12,000 km/8,000 miles. No tether, no unusual gap, zero vibration or movement and that was over some rough roads that had me concerned about damage to the Spyder.
    Just my 2 cents but I have complete faith in them.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I installed mine about 1 1/2 months ago, according to both written instructions and a YouTube video, and I did use the tether. I have noticed less vibration in the mirrors after about 500 or so miles. I had gotten into the habit of carrying spare top pintles & a torx screwdriver, since I had one mirror dangling from the bottom mounts because the top one broke. Then, I once had BOTH mirrors fall off at the same time, and of course the top pintles were broken. I feel much more confident now with the MM's, and have no worries of losing a mirror.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic