Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 vs F3-T?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 vs F3-T?

I have been quoted an excellent price (online) for a leftover 2016 F3-T. However, I have only test ridden a basic, stock 2017 F3.

So, I wonder if anyone here can offer a comparison between the two models with regard to comfort, smoothness, ride, etc? I don't have a nearby dealer where I can test-ride or probably even sit on an F3-T to compare, so I'm looking for opinions here.

Is there any significant difference in overall comfort and/or sitting position between the F3 and F3-T?

I don't really care about AM-FM radio, and I don't anticipate riding two up at all or taking long extended trips. However, I realize that my expectation of not taking long trips can change as I get used to riding the Spyder. OTOH, I do want footboards, and the F3-T comes with them as standard eauipment (correct?). Given all that, and that resale value of an F3-T will be better than a stock F3, is a $1500-$1800 difference in price between the two worth it to purchase the leftover F3-T over the 2017 F-3?

Are there any overall negatives wrt buying a leftover or an F3-T in general?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you get the email today from BRP on the $3,500 off and 0% for 36 months on leftover 2016???
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The seating positions are the same... the T comes with a bit better rear shock (I think!), and of course: far more storage capacity.
    Either one would be a great choice: choose wisely!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Did you get the email today from BRP on the $3,500 off and 0% for 36 months on leftover 2016???
    No, I didn't. Could you post it here or PM me?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

The standard F3-T doesn't have floorboards. Only the limited. I was in the same boat as you and I bought the F3-T. I am not sorry I did. I think the F3T will have better resale but I prolly wear it out before I sell it. My 2011 RSS is approaching 65k miles and I kept it. It's not worth enough for me to part with it. The both have their pros and cons.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pushrod243 View Post
    The standard F3-T doesn't have floorboards. Only the limited. I was in the same boat as you and I bought the F3-T. I am not sorry I did. I think the F3T will have better resale but I prolly wear it out before I sell it. My 2011 RSS is approaching 65k miles and I kept it. It's not worth enough for me to part with it. The both have their pros and cons.
    Just a little aside on the F3-T and F3-L regarding floorboards, since they are one of your "wants". I bought the F3-L with floorboards, heated grips and extra speakers as standard. The extra speakers are irrelevant to me as I use Bluetooth to my helmet for music. The heated grips are great, but can be added to the T. The floorboards on the F3-L put many people's feet at a difficult angle to use the brake, and many feel the need to buy aftermarket boards anyway.

If I had my time over, I would have gone with the T, with its footpegs, then added heated grips and floorboards and had some change left over. Plus, you've got the rear bags if you do decide to go "tripping" later. For me, the T is a better all round package than the basic F3, which I believe, as Bob says, doesn't come with the beefed up rear shock, even on the 2017.

Not a great help, I know, but there may be something that you can take away for your deliberations.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

He says noting about F3L

He mentions F3 and F3T

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The seating positions are the same... the T comes with a bit better rear shock (I think!), and of course: far more storage capacity.
    Either one would be a great choice: choose wisely!

The F3T or L has the same swing arm and suspension as the RT including the air bag.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

If you buy a standard F3 the chances that you will want to add all the T options are very high. Depending on the price difference and the higher resale value on a T, id be leaning towards that one. Especially if youre financing. The cost of the better options are rolled into the existing loan meaning less out of pocket add-ons after your purchase. Saddlebags, fairing, optional radio, etc. We use those every time we ride so it was a no brainer for us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    He says noting about F3L

He mentions F3 and F3T
    Thanks for that . You are indeed correct that the OP only mentioned the F3 and F3-T.

However, the OP also mentioned that he was keen on floorboards, and someone else mentioned that they are only available stock on the Limited. I was simply pointing out that it was a far better idea in my opinion to buy the T and add boards and anything else he needs later, just in case the dealer says "hey.......you want boards?.....we've got a 2016 Limited over here at a great price". That's why I said at the end...."not a great help, but there may be something you can take away for your deliberations". I apologise that my efforts did not meet with your critical examination of my post, but I tried my best to assist. I have chastised myself severely

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default If the boards are what you want..

I'm with you on liking floorboards and how they add to the comfort on longer rides as well as looking good IMO, and assisting on mounting and dismounting the bike. Look at Lamonsters RIP boards. My wife loves hers on her 16 F3T and you can save some coin over the Limited trim option cost.. Anyone want to trade boards for pegs on a 15 RT SE6?DSCN1776.jpg
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 06-22-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: pic
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To answer you directly -

i believe the sitting position / comfort is the same f3 vs f3t

But - I really wanted to like the f3t - perhaps if there was one with an even lower screen it may have been different, but for me the top of the screen is right on my eyeline so, for me, no. It just seemed too 'big' at the dash area...

In hindsight I should have got the dealer to get a short screen, but in the end I went for f3s with shad bags big enough for my helmet.

A couple of other key differences are
    - f3t has better rear shock, with airbag
    - top box by brp can be added to the f3t but not to the f3s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    To answer you directly -

i believe the sitting position / comfort is the same f3 vs f3t

But - I really wanted to like the f3t - perhaps if there was one with an even lower screen it may have been different, but for me the top of the screen is right on my eyeline so, for me, no. It just seemed too 'big' at the dash area...

In hindsight I should have got the dealer to get a short screen, but in the end I went for f3s with shad bags big enough for my helmet.

A couple of other key differences are
    - f3t has better rear shock, with airbag

- top box by brp can be added to the f3t but not to the f3s
    Is the better rear shock a significant difference if you don't plan on riding two up at all or not very often? ...And what do you mean by "airbag"?

Thanks!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Is the better rear shock a significant difference if you don't plan on riding two up at all or not very often? ...And what do you mean by "airbag"?

Thanks!
    It has a shock with a spring and an adjustable air ride (bag) between the frame and swing arm.http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/.../105513/105590

Number 57
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Its def better in that its air adjustable. With the standard F3 you are stuck with what you have and with the T or the L you have the option to firm it up for two up riding, and we have had to do just that.
    These machines arent cheap and the last thing you want to do is wish you spent two grand more and gotten something more.
    As far as the windscreen being too tall, the person who commented must be extremely short because the windscreen only comes up to my mid chest area and im only 5'9. First thing we did was take that off and go with a much taller one. Anything over 40mph had the wind buffeting our heads really bad with the short stock one. Once you ride with a windscreen you wont want to ever ride without one.

Spyder Garage

Default F3L Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Just a little aside on the F3-T and F3-L regarding floorboards, since they are one of your "wants". I bought the F3-L with floorboards, heated grips and extra speakers as standard. The extra speakers are irrelevant to me as I use Bluetooth to my helmet for music. The heated grips are great, but can be added to the T. The floorboards on the F3-L put many people's feet at a difficult angle to use the brake, and many feel the need to buy aftermarket boards anyway.

If I had my time over, I would have gone with the T, with its footpegs, then added heated grips and floorboards and had some change left over. Plus, you've got the rear bags if you do decide to go "tripping" later. For me, the T is a better all round package than the basic F3, which I believe, as Bob says, doesn't come with the beefed up rear shock, even on the 2017.

Not a great help, I know, but there may be something that you can take away for your deliberations.

Pete
    Hi Pete do you stream your radio to the helmet? If so, you need a Bluetooth device for the radio. I just stream music from my mobile phone to the helmet.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

YES - the stock f3s is not even good enough for little old me on my own - tho I've heard other opinions. The brp two up shock should in my view be included with every sale, and I guess could be negotiated as it's not expensive. I am happy with the two up shock.

Air bag - I called it that cos it's a shock with a separate airbag rather than a super fancy shock. Others will clarify this for you better than I can.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JackSA View Post
    Hi Pete do you stream your radio to the helmet? If so, you need a Bluetooth device for the radio. I just stream music from my mobile phone to the helmet.
    Hi Jack.....Sorry, no..I just Bluetooth my iPhone music to the Uclear......I don't bother with the radio.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    As far as the windscreen being too tall, the person who commented must be extremely short because the windscreen only comes up to my mid chest area and im only 5'9. .

No I'm not extremely short at 5'4", but hate looking through a screen (sports bike background I guess) and cannot ride happily if the top of the screen is right at eye level, especially if it has a bend/lip.
    Mind you I do sit back and probably slouch a bit...

Horses for courses I guess

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ...... but I tried my best to assist. I have chastised myself severely

Pete
    Yeah but, knowing you as we do now, I bet you were talking dirty the whole time & as a result you enjoyed that chastisement!! So it simply doesn't count! Do it again WITHOUT the trash talk & we'll consider you suitably chastised! Just don't offer unsolicited advice again, even if it might be helpful!

Seriously, it's often better financially to go for the lower spec Spyder & option it up with the Limited options you actually want, rather than going for the Limited up front & then trying to source the lower spec components to replace those you don't really want on the Limited!! The higher spec bits are more attractive to buyers looking for used bits, so you can sell them for a reasonable price (or swap them!) & new lower spec parts are generally a little cheaper to acquire too, at least they are here in Aus!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    it's often better financially to go for the lower spec Spyder & option it up with the Limited options you actually want, rather than going for the Limited up front & then trying to source the lower spec components to replace those you don't really want on the Limited!! The higher spec bits are more attractive to buyers looking for used bits, so you can sell them for a reasonable price (or swap them!) & new lower spec parts are generally a little cheaper to acquire too, at least they are here in Aus!
    we never even looked at the standard F3. We knew we wanted the factory hard painted bags, windscreen, stereo, etc. At that point it came down to the T or the L. We also wanted the heated grips and floorboards which, yes you can just add to a T. (Stock floorboards are perfect for us, no issues at all) But then we looked at paint schemes and wheels. On the 2016's if you didnt buy the L, you got two tone paint and different wheels. We love the L single color paint scheme and the nicer wheels so thats what pushed us past the T. Never been a fan of two tone paint for whatever reason.
    As far replacing items goes, we wouldve replaced the seat, windscreen, sway bar on a T anyway so that was a non factor.
    I would think if you didnt need the fairing, bags, stereo, or windscreen, then get the F3. Same ride for less money.
    Last edited by Slowpoke387; 06-23-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No, I didn't. Could you post it here or PM me?

Thanks!
    https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/promot...C0%7C0%7C0%7C0

Here you go!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have heard that riders comparing the F3S and the F3T say the T is more sluggish perhaps because it is carrying much more weight. I like both but I like the raw look of the S and because it is more versatile. You can add and remove the bags and windshield changing the look and function.

Spyder Garage

I have been quoted an excellent price (online) for a leftover 2016 F3-T. However, I have only test ridden a basic, stock 2017 F3.

So, I wonder if anyone here can offer a comparison between the two models with regard to comfort, smoothness, ride, etc? I don't have a nearby dealer where I can test-ride or probably even sit on an F3-T to compare, so I'm looking for opinions here.

Is there any significant difference in overall comfort and/or sitting position between the F3 and F3-T?

I don't really care about AM-FM radio, and I don't anticipate riding two up at all or taking long extended trips. However, I realize that my expectation of not taking long trips can change as I get used to riding the Spyder. OTOH, I do want footboards, and the F3-T comes with them as standard eauipment (correct?). Given all that, and that resale value of an F3-T will be better than a stock F3, is a $1500-$1800 difference in price between the two worth it to purchase the leftover F3-T over the 2017 F-3?

Are there any overall negatives wrt buying a leftover or an F3-T in general?

Thanks!
    Obviously, there are many riders responding to this question that have more in-depth knowledge than I do since I have only owned my Spyder since the first of June. I chose the basic model which does not have the features that the more touring-oriented models do. I do not ride two-up, I probably will never take a long tour and am completely happy with my choice. Could my opinion change over time? Sure, but for now I am just happy to be in the wind and with the overall performance of the machine. It looks cool to me and to casual passers-by and it has all the important safety features that make these motorcycles unique. Happy camper here in East Tennessee.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:37 PM.
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Spyder Garage

If the picture in your post is yours nice choice.