Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT downshifted at 70mph

I was in some rain today on the interstate doing 70 mph and my 2014 RT downshifted from 6th to 5th on its own. I immediately shifted back to sixth and it downshifted several more times to fifth. After the third time it stopped and everything is now normal. Has anyone else experienced this as it was kind of scary having it downshifting at that speed on its own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The only thing I can think of is something to do with the wet roads. However...also agree with Bob. The situation may be dangerous enough to run it by your dealer. Can you pull any codes? They may tell something.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default SHIFTING ISSUE

Had my 14' in last week to have a BUDS check and was told I had 3 updates from last year that had not been done. 1 was a shifting update, but I did not have the problem that you described. The other 2 updates were for the ECM and VSS computers. Good luck!! Mike M.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope you weren't running on cruise control. Wet roads & cruise is a very bad idea. I'm thinking nanny might have kicked it down because of traction. How are your tires? I agree with the guys above. Find out if a code was set. I'm also wondering if you might have a problem with your paddle shift switch. Good luck.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nanny doesn't monitor traction: she just looks for wheelspin...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Hope you weren't running on cruise control. Wet roads & cruise is a very bad idea. I'm thinking nanny might have kicked it down because of traction. How are your tires? I agree with the guys above. Find out if a code was set. I'm also wondering if you might have a problem with your paddle shift switch. Good luck.
    Cruise control and wet roads may be another possibility. It does not take much to lose traction on wet roads.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nanny doesn't monitor traction: she just looks for wheelspin...
    And that is a distinction without a purpose.

What it actually monitors is wheel SPEED, comparing the 3 to each other.

Using the term "monitor traction" is a reasonable way to describe what is happening.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses, want to mention the cruise control was NOT on. I will have the dealer check for codes.

Spyder Garage

Just a couple of thoughts..... First, I lived in Washington State most of my life and there is a little rain there so I speak from experience when I say that 70 MPH in the rain on the interstate is too fast in or on any vehicle. The times I have been if Florida where you live and been in the rain, has been down right scary because all the water seems to fall out of the sky at one time.

I don't know all the ways nanny tries to help us but one thought is you may have been hydroplaning the rear tire. At 70 this is more likely than not. If hydroplaning caused the rear tire to spin at a different rate than the front tires, nanny may have been trying to correct something....? Not to be a nag, but in any case 70 in the rain is dangerous and having the vehicle down shift at 70 in the rain is doubly dangerous. I would sure take the approach with the dealer that you have a potential safety issue. Good luck and keep us posted.....