Spyder Garage

Default Change Windshield

Maybe been asked before but I haven't been on in years. I wonder if its possible to change out 2015 ST adjustable windshield to a full touring windshield like I did on my RS?

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield

You can get an Ultra Touring #219400354 like I did. Will be installing next week.

Spyder Garage

I have a large wide California scientific and love it. You will have to do a mod to the bracket to support the extra weight though. the Extra large wide is way to big though unless you like looking threw the shield. I like looking over it.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderSTprod.html
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Cal Sci wobbly mount?

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I have a large wide California scientific and love it. You will have to do a mod to the bracket to support the extra weight though. the Extra large wide is way to big though unless you like looking threw the shield. I like looking over it.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderSTprod.html
    AY4B,

Did exactly the same thing on 2013 STS. Like the larger screen a lot, reduced helmet turbulence and jitter.

I also had to mod the mounting brackets with spacers to increase tension on spring. Works well, no slipping and can be adjusted, even though I rarely lower from max.

I am comcerned about the amount of forward and backward "slop" in the mount. The screen really rocks back and forth, not underway, but sitting at a light with a tailwind is a bit scary.

Have you seen this and/or did you find a resolution?

Or should I just ignore unless there is a further problem, like getting knocked out cold by the screen breaking off at 80 MPH

Regards,

Spyderfish

Spyder Garage

Yes there is some slop in mine too. I dont worry about it but I did change out the bolts to a larger size. The ones that were holding the OEM shield looked too small for the extra wind load that the larger shield would give. I just took the bolts to the hardware store and got the next size up I think. I did have to drill out the holes in the brackets but the shield holes were already large enough. There is a thread on doing the mod here on Spyderlovers. basically it involves taking apart the brackets and adding a washer or 2 in the springs and putting them back together. I think BRP also has a kit you can buy that has stiffer springs.
    Last edited by AY4B; 07-01-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The only time I ride with mine all the way up is in a driving rainstorm. Normal riding I have it about 3 positions down or where the top of the shield is lined up with a line about 40 feet in front of me. Country roads where I am doing 65 or less. Touring on the interstate at 70+ I ride it higher up and It is very effective at cutting the wind. The extra wide width is nice also for shielding the stereo speakers. You can hear the sound a lot better. I had to reinstall the baffolds on my Akrapovic silencer because the noise in the drivers seat was too loud.
    Last edited by AY4B; 07-01-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default sts

sold my STS and still have the touring windshield if you want one. 100$ plus shipping
    Paul

Spyder Garage

Default Shield

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    sold my STS and still have the touring windshield if you want one. 100$ plus shipping
    Paul

If he is not interested I am.. Phil..
    rkba101@hotmail.com