Spyder Garage

Default replacing tail light

Are there any easy ways to get at the bulb on a 2014 st-s.
    Tks

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IN A WORD...

NO

Spyder Garage

Default ST Tail Light Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Allensr View Post
    Are there any easy ways to get at the bulb on a 2014 st-s. Tks
    Yes, but a little unorthodox and not what the service manual says. I tried that and it was an absolutely futile knuckle skinning/bleeding experience. My wrists still have the scars closing up. So ......

Remove the seat ... 3 bolts and the "V" pin on the hydraulic thing, and unclip the passenger wiring connection. Remove the passenger grab bar. Honest. At least two of the bolts will be v-e-r-y hard to loosen. BRP used a ton of 3M "Loctite" on my 2014 ST Limited. Move the passenger grab bar to the side. You will then be able to see the tail light connector. Give it a 1/4 turn left (remove) replace the light bulb, and put the connector back in place. Button everything back up.

A few weeks ago I installed Admore's LED lights on my Givi saddle bags and of course had to wire everything up. The issue was that BRP left almost no wire for the tail/stop lights to allow connecting to. I removed the side bags, the side bag holders, body side panels, underside (above the rear wheel) panel and still couldn't get at the dumb-dumb Torx screw at the "front" of the tail light housings. Finally in desperation I did what I described (above) and all was hooked up in a matter of minutes.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default crazy glue

The real PIA is getting the screw back into the deep location, I PUT A DROP OF crazy glue on my torx to hold the screw while blindly trying to find the threaded insert. I placed the easy screw in first, the one closest to the rear, and then with the other screw stuck on a extention it made it a lot less frustrating.
    I always like to think about the meeting where the engineer explained why they had to make such bad decisions.

Spyder Garage

go to ozspyderryders.com there is a do it yourself video on how to do it the easy way,involves some plastic trimming.

hth stu

Spyder Garage

Default Oz website

Stu:

Could you post a more specific link to this video please?

Thanks,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    go to ozspyderryders.com there is a do it yourself video on how to do it the easy way,involves some plastic trimming.

hth stu
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Oh My Gosh!

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    Yes, but a little unorthodox and not what the service manual says. I tried that and it was an absolutely futile knuckle skinning/bleeding experience. My wrists still have the scars closing up. So ......

Remove the seat ... 3 bolts and the "V" pin on the hydraulic thing, and unclip the passenger wiring connection. Remove the passenger grab bar. Honest. At least two of the bolts will be v-e-r-y hard to loosen. BRP used a ton of 3M "Loctite" on my 2014 ST Limited. Move the passenger grab bar to the side. You will then be able to see the tail light connector. Give it a 1/4 turn left (remove) replace the light bulb, and put the connector back in place. Button everything back up.

A few weeks ago I installed Admore's LED lights on my Givi saddle bags and of course had to wire everything up. The issue was that BRP left almost no wire for the tail/stop lights to allow connecting to. I removed the side bags, the side bag holders, body side panels, underside (above the rear wheel) panel and still couldn't get at the dumb-dumb Torx screw at the "front" of the tail light housings. Finally in desperation I did what I described (above) and all was hooked up in a matter of minutes.
    Have a '13 ST-S with BRP back rest & GIVI-35s. Started when I got home from work, three hours later, it's all apart, sun is setting. Tomorrow I hope to start the LED project. (LED bulbs & DIY GIVI lights) The tail piece, that the back rest anchors to blocks removal of rear lights & passenger OMG handle. There is no available cord for brake light circuit, so I will use the tail light pigtail, and bullet connector in case future disassembly is needed.

Spyder Garage

Go to..... www.spyderryders.net.au ......click on "Main"......in the drop down menu..... click on "Tips and Tricks"....scroll down until you find...."Dreading replacing a tail light globe.....Good luck....

Spyder Garage

Default CAN'T

Quote Originally Posted by Ccol View Post
    Go to..... www.spyderryders.net.au ......click on "Main"......in the drop down menu..... click on "Tips and Tricks"....scroll down until you find...."Dreading replacing a tail light globe.....Good luck....
    Its a private group. Tried to join a couple weeks ago. My guess is that I am not a Australia resident, they won't let me view their secrets...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    Its a private group. Tried to join a couple weeks ago. My guess is that I am not a Australia resident, they won't let me view their secrets...
    Hi
    http://www.spyderryders.net.au is not private in any way. Its not Facebook its a straight out web site . You should be able to open that page no problems no matter where you are.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allensr View Post
    The real PIA is getting the screw back into the deep location, I PUT A DROP OF crazy glue on my torx to hold the screw while blindly trying to find the threaded insert. I placed the easy screw in first, the one closest to the rear, and then with the other screw stuck on a extention it made it a lot less frustrating.
    I always like to think about the meeting where the engineer explained why they had to make such bad decisions.
    I literally did this last night on my wife's ST Limited and found a MUCH easier way to put them back on. No need for glue or tape or anything else. I used a T-27 torx 3/8" socket on a 6" extension. I had already taken the tail lights out to put LEDs in and the bulb was in the housing but not plugged into the bike. I put the bolt through the hole in the FRONT of the light (towards the front of the bike) first while attached to the torx head and then using 2 hands, moved the entire assembly in place. This allows you to angle the rear of the light slightly downward so you can actually see where the front bolt hole is and guide it in to get a couple threads started. Then I put the rear bolt in and went back and tightened down the front bolt. Plug in the 2 plugs and presto! Literally a 2 minute job to reinstall (after 20 or so minutes of trying to fish the bolt up blindly).

Hope this helps someone.
    2019 F3 Limited , Phoenix Orange Metallic

Spyder Garage

Hey Spyderlovers... I went home and made a video for y'alls. (That's how easy it is to do the tail lights now) I've uploaded it to YouTube. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/xItH12zZOgI

It's about 11 minutes long and covers both the removal and installation. Let me know what you think and if it helps at all.

Nuke

Spyder Garage

Default Wondering. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    Hey Spyderlovers... I went home and made a video for y'alls. (That's how easy it is to do the tail lights now) I've uploaded it to YouTube. Here's the link:

It's about 11 minutes long and covers both the removal and installation. Let me know what you think and if it helps at all.

Nuke
    Does that include the 60 to 90 minutes to get the backrest, saddlebags, and Tupperware off?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

Nuke

Thx any more info on the bulbs you relaxed them with?

thx in advance

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    Does that include the 60 to 90 minutes to get the backrest, saddlebags, and Tupperware off?
    Didn't have to remove anything but the rear center section and the undertray (7 torx bolts, but I only removed 5) to get to the tail lights. Didn't even have to take the saddle bags off, but I did anyway. Left the frames on but you'll have to watch the video to see.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Thx any more info on the bulbs you relaxed them with?

thx in advance
    I assume you meant the bulbs I replaced them with. Those bulbs are LEDs and are very bright. Brighter than stock and nice red color. Instant intensity change and takes some load off the electrical system. Much better to use with a pulse module. Plus I never have to worry about them burning out. $19.75 on Amazon, but I found them at my local Walmart for $19.88 for the pair.