Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "RT side luggage compartment cover shock absorber"

Someone had started asking about this but pulled their thread. They had been asking about a 'gas strut' for their wife, which got some humorous comments, including mine. But, once we figured out what part they were talking about and prepared to answer seriously the thread got pulled.

Anyway, I think the question itself is a valid one in that there are many parts on the Spyder that are generic and don't have to be replaced with an expensive OEM part and this is one.

Does anyone know what the specs are for these struts / shock absorber, so we can maybe cross-reference with after-market units and have this as a reference in the future?

Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-21-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Wanted to add tags, but too late I guess
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The seat strut at orielly's is sg359011 it is $25
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Someone had started asking about this but pulled their thread. They had been asking about a 'gas strut' for their wife, which got some humorous comments, including mine. But, once we figured out what part they were talking about and prepared to answer seriously the thread got pulled.

Anyway, I think the question itself is a valid one in that there are many parts on the Spyder that are generic and don't have to be replaced with an expensive OEM part and this is one.

Does anyone know what the specs are for these struts / shock absorber, so we can maybe cross-reference with after-market units and have this as a reference in the future?

Thanks.
    Thin skin.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

All the shocks do have a original manufacturer part number on them.
    They usually have the original manufacturer name as well.

For instance, here is the rear trunk shock:

bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default gas struts info

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    All the shocks do have a original manufacturer part number on them.
    They usually have the original manufacturer name as well.

For instance, here is the rear trunk shock:
    That gave me the idea of taking a picture of the side compartment shock and here it is. side compartment shock.jpg

Suspa Part number is C16-27720 and it's $95 from them https://shop.suspa.com/c16-27720-gas-spring-p4722.aspx but only $22 from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Suspa-C16-080.../dp/B0041EBSX4

A thread on this forum from 2013 called 'gas strut spring' had this info;

Seat: C16-27695

Measuring center-to-center on the mounting point:
    10.8" compressed, 17.7" extended
    18 Lbs. of force

Trunk Lid: C16-28002

5.1" compressed, 7.9" extended
    32 Lbs. of force

(Clevis end is 10mm. Bushing OD is 10mm, ID is 6mm, length is 14mm. Screw is M6x30x1.0 T27 Torx)
    (Ball Stud is 10mm, 13mm Hex, Stud is M8x18x1.25 (I assume for the seat as well))

Saddle Bag Damper: C16-27720

5.27" compressed, 7.63" extended
    No force, this is a damper

2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Suspa Part number is C16-27720 and it's $95 from them https://shop.suspa.com/c16-27720-gas-spring-p4722.aspx but only $22 from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Suspa-C16-080.../dp/B0041EBSX4
    C'mon folks. This is good info don't ya think?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Great info....