Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default pjweimer

had dinner in your town of patalaska at the nut craker last night.a black rt went by while setting there.i have had two spiders 30,000 miles on the 13 rts and 32000 on the 14 stl all pretty much trouble free. going to col. in july for 15 days.

Spyder Garage

Wish I could say the same. I currently have a 2016 RT Limited, with only 2299 miles on it as it sits in the shop. The current problem is a bad starting motor. Had the problem on May 28th on a ride, had it transported to dealer to be fixed. Currently still in shop waiting for parts to arrive from BRP according to the dealer. Contacted BRP's complaint line. They got back with me yesterday after talking with the dealer and said my Spyder is scheduled for repair on next Wednesday the 28th if all the parts come in. If and I say if it's repaired then that will be 30 days in the shop for repair. BRP rep said their was nothing they could do about the dealership because it is privately owned and operated.

Now, back up to last fall after getting my new Spyder, had the electric parking brake lock up and would not release. All I can say about that issue is the same problems. Parts took 2 and a half weeks to come for repair. Spyder was down and in the shop for 26 days for that issue.

All I can say is I'm not impressed with BRP's customer support or their part support for their product. Two to Three weeks to get a part is not acceptable service or customer support from BRP. As far as dealers, haven't seen a single one that impresses me so far, it's like their only interested in selling speed bikes and don't care about the Spyders or their service. I will say that some people have seem to find a good dealer in their area and I say good for them. Around my area I think I'm SOL when it comes to the dealer network.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm don't seem to be having as my luck with my Spyder as the rest of you I guess.

FYI, I'm have a 69 Camaro Z28 and I can walk into just about any auto parts store, order a part and have it delivered to my home in 2 days, and that's a vehicle that's over 50 years old !!!

Spyder Garage

I would not worry to much. It...COULD...happen, but...WILL...it happen? You already have 2500 good miles. That's a good start.

I think I have a pretty good track record. First of all, I live in Alaska. When 2008 rolled around there was only one dealer. Alaska is pretty big. Breakdowns would have been heck.

I bought the first 2008 GS sold to a customer in Alaska. Sight unseen and had to wait six months after my deposit was placed. I beta tested that one for 23,500 trouble free miles.

2009 had Semi Autos available. I purchased one for my spouse, now the ex. She still has it.

2010 brought our first RTS. I had a premier edition and was also a beta tester. 36,500 trouble free miles. Traded for the new 2014 RT-S 1330 three cylinder. Guess you could also call me a beta tester there.

Finally, bought Linda a new 2011 RT in 2012. She still has it and now over 26,000 trouble free miles.

We have 135,000 combined miles on them and currently have two (the 2011 and the 2014) in the stable. We are still happy with the 's.

NOTE: This is an unpaid endorsement by an equal opportunity BRP praiser and abuser. On the above, BRP has done good by me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Well.... relax.....

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Given the number of very odd and complex issues with the Spyder, BRP has created an unsupportable monster. Obviously, the self-diagnostic systems in place are not capable of complete diagnosis - sometimes in the most mundane of circumstances.

So far my RTL has run flawlessly (2500 miles) but it is hardly broken in and I am beginning to fear taking it far, far away from home and having one of these "star wars" type issues. It isn't practical or possible that a small dealer in Jasper Junction could be expected to have the expertise to diagnose and/or repair some of these issues which, unfortunately, can leave the riders stranded. Out here in the western desert (where the riding is good) there are lots of miles between towns but only the largest cities have powersports dealers servicing Spyders,

I bought the RTL so the wifey could drive it and she has and loves it. She takes her driving test this weekend and I am sure, as soon as the pizza oven type temps go away, she will want to go touring. I am a bit worried about reliability though.
    Are you reading comment from peoples without problems? .....No they are all out there riding.! As far as we are concerned, we have 4 of them:

2012 RS 65,000 km and doing great. N.P. except vacuum hoses and muffler holding bracket.
    2013ST 34,000 km Kenda tire problem, and a valve seal. burning oil, but keept going
    2013RSS 39,000 km Tackometer problem, dropping to zero while riding.... Clutch reservoir cover leaking.
    2014RSS 31,000 km N.P. so far.

So, as you can see, nobody ever got stranded on the side of the road.

P.S. Clutch cover, muffler bracket and valve seal, are most probably user induced problems.....(so I think, anyway.... so cannot blame BRP for them. but they fixed it no question asked).....

Hoping this helps you appreciate more your spyder, and worry less about all comment ..... ;-)

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
    Wish I could say the same. I currently have a 2016 RT Limited, with only 2299 miles on it as it sits in the shop. The current problem is a bad starting motor. Had the problem on May 28th on a ride, had it transported to dealer to be fixed. Currently still in shop waiting for parts to arrive from BRP according to the dealer. Contacted BRP's complaint line. They got back with me yesterday after talking with the dealer and said my Spyder is scheduled for repair on next Wednesday the 28th if all the parts come in. If and I say if it's repaired then that will be 30 days in the shop for repair. BRP rep said their was nothing they could do about the dealership because it is privately owned and operated.

Now, back up to last fall after getting my new Spyder, had the electric parking brake lock up and would not release. All I can say about that issue is the same problems. Parts took 2 and a half weeks to come for repair. Spyder was down and in the shop for 26 days for that issue.

All I can say is I'm not impressed with BRP's customer support or their part support for their product. Two to Three weeks to get a part is not acceptable service or customer support from BRP. As far as dealers, haven't seen a single one that impresses me so far, it's like their only interested in selling speed bikes and don't care about the Spyders or their service. I will say that some people have seem to find a good dealer in their area and I say good for them. Around my area I think I'm SOL when it comes to the dealer network.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm don't seem to be having as my luck with my Spyder as the rest of you I guess.

FYI, I'm have a 69 Camaro Z28 and I can walk into just about any auto parts store, order a part and have it delivered to my home in 2 days, and that's a vehicle that's over 50 years old !!!
    First Timer I noticed that you purchased your Can Am from a Harley Dealership. Is this the Harley Dealer you bought the bike from that is giving the poor service, or is it a Can Am dealership?
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 06-22-2017 at 06:17 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Reliability

Given the number of very odd and complex issues with the Spyder, BRP has created an unsupportable monster. Obviously, the self-diagnostic systems in place are not capable of complete diagnosis - sometimes in the most mundane of circumstances.

So far my RTL has run flawlessly (2500 miles) but it is hardly broken in and I am beginning to fear taking it far, far away from home and having one of these "star wars" type issues. It isn't practical or possible that a small dealer in Jasper Junction could be expected to have the expertise to diagnose and/or repair some of these issues which, unfortunately, can leave the riders stranded. Out here in the western desert (where the riding is good) there are lots of miles between towns but only the largest cities have powersports dealers servicing Spyders,

I bought the RTL so the wifey could drive it and she has and loves it. She takes her driving test this weekend and I am sure, as soon as the pizza oven type temps go away, she will want to go touring. I am a bit worried about reliability though.
    That's reason I got rid of mine. I couldn't trust it to get me home so I never drove it more than 100 miles from home base so friends or family members could get me home. I prayed someone would steal it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate everyone's comments and fully understand both sides of the argument. It isn't so much I am personally afraid of being stranded but that the wifey might be (I assume she will pester me to ride alone if I can't go on a particular trip). She is really falling in love with that machine (other than the steering which she isn't yet used to).

In the old days a ride across country could be accomplished without worry in most cases. If something happened to the bike you could usually fix it by the side of the road (I have, many times as an owner of a number of British bikes) or you could find any one of a number of motorcycle shops if the problem was serious. Not the case with Can-Am's. Nowhere near the number of dealers nor the expertise at figuring out complex problems (such as turn signals causing gear shifts - although that wouldn't stop me from riding). I have never before traveled with the tech manual but I wouldn't leave home without it on my Spyder. Just the number of silly things that are not used often would be difficult to remember (foot on brake, key on, press mode with one finger, starter with the other then cough - I'll be damned....she starts right up!

I can't say I am afraid of riding because of something might happen but would worry about her if she were riding alone. Was just expressing some concern given the number of weird issues I've read here on the forum. I have ridden cross country many times and never had an issue with my Honda's and I just got used to the Lexus-type reliability (and/or simplicity of the Brit bikes that one could repair with duct tape and pliers).

And, a shout out to the guy who is going to travel through the desert Southwest this summer.....we are experiencing some VERY hot weather right now and it is forecast to remain for another week or so. Daytime temps are very close to 120 in the central and southern deserts of Arizona and even the high mountains are having 90's. I would not recommend riding in those temps but if you do I would strongly suggest traveling at night or early in the day and find a nice cool place in the shade during the heat of the day. Bring plenty of drinking water with you and something to provide shade. Check the weather frequently and keep your eyes open for wind/dust (we just had a massive pile-up yesterday in which six people were killed when a sudden dust storm arrived over I-10. Also be aware that our summer monsoon storms can kick up without much warning and it is no fun to be caught in one of those heavy downpours (not to mention very dangerous). That said, if you need some respite from your travels and you are in the Phoenix area give me a jingle and feel free to overnight at the hacienda. I have beer and Spyder parking (inside).

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    By-the-way, don't fly Bombardier airlines on a hot day, they can't get off the ground.
    To be fair, it is all small regional aircraft that have that problem and it isn't that they can't fly but rather that most of the runways they frequent are not long enough to give them enough length to get the lift they need in very hot weather. The aircraft builders don't tend to test their aircraft flying in these conditions because those temps are so infrequent on most of their routes. Altitude density has the same limitation.

Spyder Garage

Default fears

I have a 2012 RT ltd that I bought used. Last year the wife and went to Yellowstone and that area without any hesitation. We put on well over 4000 miles with no issues at all. This year we went to Quebec for the homecoming and then down through Maine (home to us), again without a problem. The only issue I had was that on our last day I drove 723 miles and my wife was VERY unhappy!
    Go out, enjoy your machine and expect that it will do and act as it shoud without problems.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
    Seth

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default For what it's worth

Distance has nothing to do with it. I took my Spyder from NC to Missouri and back, no issues at all, then a few months back the gearshift actuator fell out a few miles from my house. I'm riding to Tennessee this weekend. I'm not worried about it.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Away From Home

Given the number of very odd and complex issues with the Spyder, BRP has created an unsupportable monster. Obviously, the self-diagnostic systems in place are not capable of complete diagnosis - sometimes in the most mundane of circumstances. So far my RTL has run flawlessly (2500 miles) but it is hardly broken in and I am beginning to fear taking it far, far away from home and having one of these "star wars" type issues. It isn't practical or possible that a small dealer in Jasper Junction could be expected to have the expertise to diagnose and/or repair some of these issues which, unfortunately, can leave the riders stranded. Out here in the western desert (where the riding is good) there are lots of miles between towns but only the largest cities have powersports dealers servicing Spyders, I bought the RTL so the wifey could drive it and she has and loves it. She takes her driving test this weekend and I am sure, as soon as the pizza oven type temps go away, she will want to go touring. I am a bit worried about reliability though.
    Please read ALL of the responses. You have to trust me and the others. Even a brand new GM or Ford or Whatever product can run into issues. Yes, the Spyder dealerships are few and far between in many instances. However, if you have roadside protection plan (AAA has one, I am certain) then your fears can be completely diminished. Here in the middle part of Canada (Winnipeg, Manitoba) you have to go about 350 miles to the west or east to come to the next Spyder dealer. From those locations it is at least another 350 miles to the next nearest again. I have driven all across Canada to/from Ottawa, and to/from Vancouver ... several times in each direction ... and not only did I not have any problems, I knew that my roadside assistance plan would look after me. If you owned a Victory or an Indian motorcycle, you would be in the same predicament. So, bottom line, get out there and live life to the fullest with your Spyder!
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Honeymoons aren't supposed to end...

She's still standing behind me; isn't She??
    if she's still not behind you, perhaps she fell off ... or just left

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a problem with the dealership your going to.

On behalf of BRP's support I think they are great. Just the fact that they actually allow you to call them, and don't just tell you you have to call one of their dealers. Arctic Cat is like that you can't talk to anyone there usually they always tell you to call a dealer!
    Last edited by JAS POWER; 06-22-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought a '14 RTL in November of 14. It was a 60th birthday/retirement present. As far as reliability, I would ride it anywhere. I rode mine almost 19k in two years. My only real issue was the tires. If you have someone who is willing to put car tires on, don't worry about it. Ride to your hearts content. My wife is just very anal about being close to help.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    If you owned a Victory or an Indian motorcycle, you would be in the same predicament.
    As I said before, I understand both sides of this discussion.

But I have never owned either an Indian or Victory (or a Harley) and for the very same reasons I outlined before.

A trip interrupted by a machine failure, whether or not you are "rescued" by AAA, is a trip ruined.

Spyder Garage

But I have never owned either an Indian or Victory (or a Harley) and for the very same reasons I outlined before.

A trip interrupted by a machine failure, whether or not you are "rescued" by AAA, is a trip ruined.
    It looks like you have answered your own question.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Well I'm getting ready to embark on a month long trip out west which should cover over 7500 miles. Leaving on July 1 and traveling through Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, Nebraska & Kansas. Am I worried? Sure I am. ....
    Ex-Rocket, I think you're worried because you're skipping Minnesota on that trip, Iowa probably thinks the same. C'mon by let us know...
    Rincon, I've only owned my '13 RTL since last October, over 4k miles since then (including 4+ months of winter storage_) and I'm still working full time.... Friday another Spyder rider and I are heading out to do 1800 miles this weekend taking the scenic route to try the Smackdab Run (Summer Solstice run, plus there and back again) and I'll have my AMA card (Roadside assistance included) and a spare gallon of gas for the long stretches in the Dakota's on 281.
    More worried about the driver than the Spyder...<G>
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

First Timer,

We are sorry to read that your Spyder and customer support did not meet your expectations. If you'd like, send us your VIN, name and contact of your service dealer with a full description of what happened and we will be happy to make a follow up for you.

Thanks,

Sandra - BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you'll risk machine failure any time you use a machine. It's just part of modern living.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I think you'll risk machine failure any time you use a machine. It's just part of modern living.
    True. There are no guarantees but some machines are definitely more reliable than others.

In my old Goldwing group we had two Harleys. The rule was the last Wing to show up at the meeting point had to tow the peach basket. Why a peach basket you ask? To catch the falling Harley parts of course.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based upon your recent comment: your path is clear...

Sturgis GW Trike.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Curb your fear

I too was paralyzed by the fear of a complicated problem with the "Big Dawg" (the name I gave my 2014 RTL) so I limited the distance of my rides. While I enjoyed riding around short to medium distance rides with other Spyder riders, something was missing. So, I gathered my courage and set out on a solo ride from San Jose California to San Diego. The trip was almost 1000 miles round trip. I rode down, spent a week with family (which included Father's Day) and returned on Monday after Father's Day. The Big Dawg simply performed well. Despite record breaking heat in California, the spyder, and I, made it just find. I think I was far more beat than the spyder after the trip. My advice, go for it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeau View Post
    I too was paralyzed by the fear of a complicated problem with the "Big Dawg" (the name I gave my 2014 RTL) so I limited the distance of my rides.
    One more time......

I am not "paralyzed" by the fear of something going wrong. I have been riding bikes for over 50 years and have travelled across the USA many times (and most times on rural two lane roads with services few and far between). I am though concerned about the reliability of the Spyder as far as my wife taking long trips. That's what the OP was about.

Can we all put this thread to bed please?