Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It's Becoming Clear To Me...

Given the number of very odd and complex issues with the Spyder, BRP has created an unsupportable monster. Obviously, the self-diagnostic systems in place are not capable of complete diagnosis - sometimes in the most mundane of circumstances.

So far my RTL has run flawlessly (2500 miles) but it is hardly broken in and I am beginning to fear taking it far, far away from home and having one of these "star wars" type issues. It isn't practical or possible that a small dealer in Jasper Junction could be expected to have the expertise to diagnose and/or repair some of these issues which, unfortunately, can leave the riders stranded. Out here in the western desert (where the riding is good) there are lots of miles between towns but only the largest cities have powersports dealers servicing Spyders,

I bought the RTL so the wifey could drive it and she has and loves it. She takes her driving test this weekend and I am sure, as soon as the pizza oven type temps go away, she will want to go touring. I am a bit worried about reliability though.

Spyder Garage

Default Relax....

What you don't see here are the many thousands of spyders out there with no more than normal wear and tear. I have been here a relatively short time and read about all the stories but have no fear jumping on the RS and going 800+ miles in a day of ryding or a 3,000 mile trip. The new RT's are proving to be most reliable but I do have the model with the least that can go wrong....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My feeling is that if you are buying a spyder new,
    for that matter, any which one, any model in the
    last 2-3 years you have very little to be concerned
    about if the dealership is up on their PTI. No fear,
    this coming from someone who broke new grounds
    and horizons in my attempt to ride like I stole her..
    Did I have issues, Yes, major and minor, I was your
    giunea pig to learn, and believe me they learned
    how to fix. THEY STOOD Behind their product

Today seriously I am considering purchasing another BRP spyder, after touring their factory in Valcourt.
    (BRP's ) commitment to excellence is beyond comparison.

My spyder never left me stranded the first 48,000 miles, but I did run
    outta gas 3 times , You would think I would learn in the first,, I have
    more to say but I am tired right now......................my 2010 is on a battery tender and ready to go......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most are fine - here in Australia it can be a long long way between dealers.

I've ridden mine solo for 1200 km each way...

On the twin I carried spare fuel

I had my roadside tow service paid up

then I just went for it

Out of our four spyders, one has stopped on the roadside once - not a bad record given the miles we do...

A side note - no way would I have ridden my two wheels solo on a long trip...

Spyder Garage

Rincon, if you follow the Forums & websites on ANY new/modern vehicles, it won't take you long to realise that they ALL have some issues (yes, even Honda gets bagged for reliability & their products inherent faults!) but in the overall scheme of things, the modern stuff, including the offerings from BRP, actually have relatively few major problems & far better reliability than was the norm & expected just a decade ago! Sure, our machines might not have reached the stellar heights achieved by those manufacturers who've been around for decades longer, but they are catching up & getting there quickly! However, in this modern age of the internet, sound bites, youtube clips, & instant gratification, the owners of those vehicles with said problems, be they major or minor or even just the owner's lack of understanding about what their vehicle does/how it behaves, want perfection and they want it NOW!! And if they don't get it within 2 minutes of posting up about it on a Forum tha isn't ever going to be a direct link to the manufacturer then they want the whole world to suffer with them & commiserate at the appalling conditions & service they are being subjected to - so they are out there posting madly away telling as many people as they can... repeatedly & at length & often on multiple sites & even with multiple usernames, while the silent majority of satisfied owners/operators are still out there quietly getting on with enjoying their machines & often the features that get others so riled!!

The facts about reliability on modern vehicles vs older vehicles are inarguable & clear; the modern stuff is faaaarrrr more reliable across the board than the stuff they've superseded, even if there are a few people/vehicles who may have distressingly drastic problems or work with Dealers who are just after improving their bottom line rather than developing repeat custom!! The longer service intervals on the modern gear generally means you get to spend more time in the quiet enjoyment of your vehicle; the quality of servicing & repairs is generally far greater than it was 50 years ago or even 20 years ago; and the economy & performance we get fron our vehicles is far greater than we got from their equivalents back then too, IF there even was an equivalent!! Most of those amongst us who've been ryding & driving for more than 5 or 6 decades should be able to recall the preparations & trepidation that went along with heading off on a 1000 mile trip, & how most of those doing so would've been called very brave (or simply stark raving mad!) for even considering ryding across the country to go to what was effectively a 'birthday party' - and if there's some who seriously can't remember all that then they want to hope that there are some major advances in Alzheimers medication soon!!

Sure, there are some with real problems; sure,nthe Kenda tires are crap; sure, there are some dealers who don't provide quality service or look after their customers; but hey, we get to ryde machines that weren't even possible 50 years back; most of us rarely have any issues; and few of us even hesitate at climbing aboard & heading off ryding every weekend or maybe even heading for Alaska or across the Country... how many rode to Valcourt & home again without any concerns?!? Sheesh, I wasn't even one of the very first pioneers to ride a motorcycle entirely around MY country when I first did it almost 5 decade ago no, but I recall the preparation & the planning & the family crying at how nuts I was to even think about doing it, let alone recalling the massive farewell & the months it took & the breakdowns & dodgy repairs we made along the way; & yet just last week an Octogenarian friend & I up & decided to ryde close to one full tenth of that trip IN ONE DAY just cos we could!! No great preparation, no planning fuel stops along the way, no sending spares ahead, no weeping & wailing families & a mass farewell, no nothing; we just decided one Sunday that we'd go on a ryde the next Tuesday cos we could & we headed off on a 1000 mile trip!! And we did the entire ryde between breakfast & getting home in time for tea without ANY concerns or worries!!

So don't take all the the doom & gloom stories to heart, MOST Spyder Ryders just get out there & enjoy their machines without any hassles or problems (except maybe putting up with those crappy Kenda tires - but hey, many don't even realise how bad those things really are!!) and for most of us, our Spyders are fantastic machines that let us continue to get our knees in the breeze & enjoy the miles of smiles despite our increasingly decrepit bodies with no concerns about reliability or falling over!! We just RIDE MORE, & WORRY LESS - you probably should do the same too! It's really liberating & empowering!!

Or if you like, you could take all the doom & gloom & horror stories to heart as gospel for every single Spyder out there despite them happening to a tiny percentage & end up sitting at home worrying needlessly about something that probably something close to 100,000 other Spyder Ryders hardly give a second thought to! Your choice, but I know what I'm gonna do!! Want to join me on another '1000kms in less than 12 hours' casual ryde next week?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2017 at 01:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Reliable

Our 2014 RTL is our second Spyder (first was a 2012 RTL, bought the 2014 for the ACE 1330 engine specs) and we ride them practically everywhere (47,000 miles clocked between the two of them). We have not experienced any major problems and concerns regarding reliability is not a factor in considering a trip. In May we enjoyed a 2,350 mile two week trip from central Ohio down the Natchez Trace to the Gulf Coast. Three days of rain and the bike and RT-622 trailer performed flawlessly.

If you are in constant fear of equipment failure you probably should not own any equipment; motorcycles, automobiles, etc. Learn the basics of equipment maintenance and go forth and enjoy. Or live in cave,
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have owned three

Never left stranded, never a major or even moderate issue. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default FAR AWAY

I'm with you, i won't go far far away either...
    since i live in South Carolina, the furthest west would be California, north would be Canada, south would be Key West, FL and east, well i am east, so here i'll stay...
    btw; i'm heading to Nova Scotia July 10th... which i wasn't able to do last year because i got as far as Massachusetts, and my SPYD3R started having electrical problems... oh well, life is good.... do what you feel comfortable with and enjoy your ride...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Last month I rode my 2013 RT-S on a 3,000 mile trip with my buddy who rode a 2012 RT Limited. Great trip! Machines ran great and I'm planning my next trip already.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you base your opinions solely upon what you read in forums: you'd be terrified to leave the house!

(Which might be why you're already so worried about what you're reading... )

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2015 RTL purchased July of 2015, now with 19,000 miles. Trips are from Michigan to Nova Scotia, Michigan to Utah, this year in July is Michigan to Glacier in Montana with a stop off in Deadwood to get Squared Away .
    Then fun riding on some weeknights or weekends.
    Oh, and by the way, all of those trips were towing a camper trailer.
    Never let me down, never been in the shop, runs like a dream!
    Do my own oil changes, replacing all tires this year before we head out. We have a few thousand miles still doable on the front, but just in case there might be potential of problems I am changing them. I don't want to have to find someone to change them on a trip and then pay BIG dollar for them.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Given the number of very odd and complex issues with the Spyder, BRP has created an unsupportable monster. Obviously, the self-diagnostic systems in place are not capable of complete diagnosis - sometimes in the most mundane of circumstances.

So far my RTL has run flawlessly (2500 miles) but it is hardly broken in and I am beginning to fear taking it far, far away from home and having one of these "star wars" type issues. It isn't practical or possible that a small dealer in Jasper Junction could be expected to have the expertise to diagnose and/or repair some of these issues which, unfortunately, can leave the riders stranded. Out here in the western desert (where the riding is good) there are lots of miles between towns but only the largest cities have powersports dealers servicing Spyders,

I bought the RTL so the wifey could drive it and she has and loves it. She takes her driving test this weekend and I am sure, as soon as the pizza oven type temps go away, she will want to go touring. I am a bit worried about reliability though.

This is a joke, right?

You've had a flawless 2500 miles, just getting broken in, wifey loves it.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop? Did you start worrying that wifey would leave you as soon as the honeymoon was over?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honeymoons aren't supposed to end...

She's still standing behind me; isn't She??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Probably shouldn't sign up to be an astronaut then. Those machines have a terrible track record. And dealer support is nonexistent beyond a certain altitude.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree

I have to agree with Patti. I think this is a joke! Tongue planted firmly in cheek. If not fear not we just completed an almost 7000 mile journey on our two Spyders and had not one issue! So that amounted to close to 14000 carefree miles! Just ryde the damn thing and enjoy!

IMG_0367.jpgIMG_2550.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Running Out of Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    My feeling is that if you are buying a spyder new,
    for that matter, any which one, any model in the
    last 2-3 years you have very little to be concerned
    about if the dealership is up on their PTI. No fear,
    this coming from someone who broke new grounds
    and horizons in my attempt to ride like I stole her..
    Did I have issues, Yes, major and minor, I was your
    giunea pig to learn, and believe me they learned
    how to fix. THEY STOOD Behind their product

Today seriously I am considering purchasing another BRP spyder, after touring their factory in Valcourt.
    (BRP's ) commitment to excellence is beyond comparison.

My spyder never left me stranded the first 48,000 miles, but I did run
    outta gas 3 times , You would think I would learn in the first,, I have
    more to say but I am tired right now......................my 2010 is on a battery tender and ready to go......
    I have the 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S in Magnesium Silver. Admittedly, I bought mine preowned last September, with 22,000 miles on it. The one and only problem it's had to date, (since my ownership) was that it's multifunction display went out. And that was, a major expense to have it replaced. But if we had the money (available time being no issue), I'd have no qualms about riding it from Wilder, Idaho to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. And returning by way of Quebec City. The wife wants to see the farm where her mother grew up.
    As far as running out of fuel is concerned, one might go to the website, www.mymagictank.com, and buy a liter or more of non flammable emergency fuel. It can be stored indefinitely in a saddlebag.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep, ride more worry less.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Clear to me

My wife had never ridden a bike by herself and at 65 bought a 2013 RTlimited, her first year she put 25,000 miles on it and never had one single problem besides the heat issue and after the recall that wasn't even a problem, she decided she wanted the 1340 so she traded it in for her 2015 RTlimited and has about 20K on that bike now with no problems except for a gas strut on the saddle bag. My first one was a 2013 and the only problem was a throttle that was covered under warranty, I put over 30K on that bike and now ride a 2014 RTlimited and in the last 18 months have 28K on it with only one issue when I got some dirt in the speed sensor and she went into limp mode, it was a slow ride for 50 miles until we got to a dealer who solved the problem. Most of these miles have been pulling a trailer with my bike that is slightly over weight and my bride pulls a dog trailer that only weighs 250lbs. I say jump on that bike and go for it!
    Camping up on the Crest 4-19 001.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    I have the 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S in Magnesium Silver. Admittedly, I bought mine preowned last September, with 22,000 miles on it. The one and only problem it's had to date, (since my ownership) was that it's multifunction display went out. And that was, a major expense to have it replaced. But if we had the money (available time being no issue), I'd have no qualms about riding it from Wilder, Idaho to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. And returning by way of Quebec City. The wife wants to see the farm where her mother grew up.
    As far as running out of fuel is concerned, one might go to the website, www.mymagictank.com, and buy a liter or more of non flammable emergency fuel. It can be stored indefinitely in a saddlebag.
    Or you could just watch the gas gauge!!
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Trip

Just last week ended an 1800 mile trip. Had a great time twisting the West Virginia back roads. No probems except it rained some everyday, but hey, we had a great time. I have had tires blow on two wheelers in the past, and one time was by myself. Called a tow truck and replaced the tire as it could not be patched. You just have to use your head and relax. ( Glad I have rider insurance as they provide towing included with the policy.)
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Well I'm getting ready to embark on a month long trip out west which should cover over 7500 miles. Leaving on July 1 and traveling through Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, Nebraska & Kansas. Am I worried? Sure I am. Am I still going? Hell yes. I have a little over 12000 trouble free miles so far on my 2015 RTS and enjoyed every mile. Enjoy life and get out and ride. When **** happens deal with it.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

Wouldn't trde my 2014 RTS for anything . Have been several multi thousnd trips.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 23k and still going.........

Have had and still have some small issues but have never been left stranded like some folks. However for some reason Can Am spyders are rated the least dependable machine out there. By-the-way, don't fly Bombardier airlines on a hot day, they can't get off the ground. So far I love my spyder and the best thing about it is that third wheel, if you know what I mean.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post

The house I live in now was built in 1979. In 1984 the owners sold and moved because they were worried about a proposed state highway that would run near the house. Every so many years this same road is again surveyed and proposed and homeowners sell and move to avoid it. Today the road is again on hold status.

Same thing with your Spyder. You can worry about what might happen based upon a relatively few Spyder owners bad experiences. Or you can just ride your Spyder and have a blast like the rest of us.

If you do get something else to ride. Don't visit any forums for that machine. You're likely to find it also has owners suffering with issues as well.

Though I have to admit, I did get stranded once. Piece of junk just quit running when it ran out of fuel! Maybe I should look for a more reliable ride after all....
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-21-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...