Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    New Orleans Westbank - Belle Chasse, La 70037
    Spyder Garage

Default Who cares how much money you spent

Either your a retired CEO or big bucks daddy with lots of spare time to ride across the country full time or your just doing a lot of BS. One thing is for sure I seldom hear anyone use the work "poor" or "cheap" or "in debt" but mostly "thousands" with complaints about BPR not satisfying your thirst for more quality.
    I have a family that requires most my time and most my money and my Spyder F3s has been acquired only because I choose to go into debt and have something my wife and I could share our old age on and still be able to be home for the family.
    Even if your a single guy or gal or grandparent of 20 It seems as though with all the miles you ride and all the money you spend on these toys and their upkeep and extras you could probably put a kid through college or donate to the orphaned children's homes and reap the benefits that far out weigh motorcycle trivia. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my spyder quite a bit but it isn't my no 1 love or even no 10. Its just a pastime hobby or event.
    I do appreciate the how-tos and simple ways to save money on tires in stead of BPR's million dollar rubber with gold lettering or ways to avoid bike malfunctions that are common. This site is invaluable in many ways but to lissen to story after story and complaints and thousands of dollars spent on crap just to make you look important and better and smarter is a waste. Maybe we should start a Bull Sh__ category. Just speaking my mind...

Spyder Garage

I for one am not rich, I do all my own maintenance, make my own farkles, do my own repairs. I also enjoy the hell out of my Spyder.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm so poor, that I can't even pay attention anymore...
    But I shop carefully!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

They cost what they cost, and the farkles and fixes are what they are. Glad that I was able to take the ride and play the game for awhile.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    Even if your a single guy or gal or grandparent of 20 It seems as though with all the miles you ride and all the money you spend on these toys and their upkeep and extras you could probably put a kid through college or donate to the orphaned children's homes and reap the benefits that far out weigh motorcycle trivia. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my spyder quite a bit but it isn't my no 1 love or even no 10. I do appreciate the how-tos and simple ways to save money on tires in stead of BPR's million dollar rubber with gold lettering or ways to avoid bike malfunctions that are common. This site is invaluable in many ways but to lissen to story after story and complaints and thousands of dollars spent on crap just to make you look important and better and smarter is a waste. Maybe we should start a Bull Sh__ category. Just speaking my mind...
    Jimmy, I live just outside of a super-wealthy community and the things these elites say and the way they spend their money on third and fourth 'homes' that will be occupied only a few weeks a year make me cringe sometimes. They just recently raised $38 million through charitable donations to buy some open space to keep their 'buffer zone' intact for eons. I made a comment on social media that I can think of much better ways to spend $38 million in charitable donations that would directly benefit people less fortunate than themselves. The responses I got to that were pretty hostile for the most part. On the other hand, the same community supports local charities, including the one my wife runs (a domestic violence shelter), a non-profit health clinic, etc. so it's hard to get too upset when they do something so obviously self-serving once in awhile. And, I have to remind myself that every community has in it people who share my values and those who don't.

How does that relate to your comments? Well, to begin with I really doubt any members of this forum are independently wealthy as you're suggesting. We're Spyder enthusiasts sharing our appreciation of these wonderful machines with anyone who cares to join the conversation. I imagine the degree of passion and enthusiasm runs the gamut also from casual riders to those who have devoted themselves exclusively to the sport. I think the demographics of the Spyder community tend to be older people with disposable income and time to enjoy what they do, but not all. I think you'll find that, once the kids have finally left the nest, you will also have more time and money to enjoy 'extra-curricular activities', including Spydering.

You, like others on the forum, make your own choices as to how you spend your time, money and other resources. If some choose to spend their money on modifications, accessories or just plain 'farkle', why should you take that so personally?

I hope you can make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in and enjoy owning and riding your bike in your own style, regardless of what others do.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i bought a nice bike i want quality parts. i don't want to waste money but i want good value on all that i buy

Spyder Garage

Default I agree

My wife and I are retired - so that means fixed income.
    I could not refer to my mechanic skills as anywhere near knowing what I'm doing, and with knee replacement, it takes me 20 min. just to get down to work on the bike, and 30 min to get back up. But, I like it. All the videos available help. I figure I do what I can myself, learning about the bike, and use the dealer only when necessary, or if it is a warranty issue.

Yes, these bikes are touchy. I road a Honda and a Norton for 25 years, and never went to the dealer or got left on the side of the road. My confidence in the Spyder performing the same way will never be there. But the flip side is, without the SPyder - we wouldn't be riding at all into our sunset years.

Spyder Garage

Default jimmybarton

After saying all that. Please don't tell me that you named your spyder, and tuck it in for the night, like it appears some do on here.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Either your a retired CEO or big bucks daddy with lots of spare time to ride across the country full time or your just doing a lot of BS. One thing is for sure I seldom hear anyone use the work "poor" or "cheap" or "in debt" but mostly "thousands" with complaints about BPR not satisfying your thirst for more quality.
    I have a family that requires most my time and most my money and my Spyder F3s has been acquired only because I choose to go into debt and have something my wife and I could share our old age on and still be able to be home for the family.
    Even if your a single guy or gal or grandparent of 20 It seems as though with all the miles you ride and all the money you spend on these toys and their upkeep and extras you could probably put a kid through college or donate to the orphaned children's homes and reap the benefits that far out weigh motorcycle trivia. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my spyder quite a bit but it isn't my no 1 love or even no 10. Its just a pastime hobby or event.
    I do appreciate the how-tos and simple ways to save money on tires in stead of BPR's million dollar rubber with gold lettering or ways to avoid bike malfunctions that are common. This site is invaluable in many ways but to lissen to story after story and complaints and thousands of dollars spent on crap just to make you look important and better and smarter is a waste. Maybe we should start a Bull Sh__ category. Just speaking my mind...
    We all decide how we want to spend our money. Some have more, some have less. If you cannot afford it, don't buy one.

My kids don't need me to send them to college. They work and pay their own way.

If you are not going to properly maintain this or any expensive vehicle, don't complain when it has issues.

I, for one take my Spyder to my dealer for all service. That way I can be sure it is done right.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    After saying all that. Please don't tell me that you named your spyder, and tuck it in for the night, like it appears some do on here.

Well we do name our bikes. Cars also for that matter. Even have a name for the wife. Naming of the bikes and cars are a tradition in our family. But they reside in the garage or out in the trailer. No blankets needed. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I agree completely, MouthPiece......don't read the posts that hold no interest for you.....problem solved

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default I paid

I paid $10.00 and 30 mins for my kid's college, it was the best investment ever and has allowed me to free up some funds to do what I want. I bought my Spyder for my wife and me to enjoy, and don't mind spending a few dollars to make it what we want and add some creature comforts.

Instructions on sending you kids to college for $10.00, simply put $10.00 in your gas tank, have your kids dress for success, load up your favorite driving direction maps (Garmin, Google Maps, Waze etc..) locate one of our many fine recruiting stations many options here, Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard and proceed. Not only can their college be taken care of, they can also get a career with a paycheck, (therefore freeing up more of your money) medical and housing is taken care of too.

As an added bonus, they will get a sense of pride, some good social skills, and great work ethics.
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 06-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

i will be honest with you, i care on what i spent. not on me, no way i had a ball buying everything i ever wanted, but spending on my ex. i explained once before. i was never married to her. i lived with her for 10 years. she had a lot of problems, head and drinking wise. i put up with it for a lot of years. after i couldn't take it anymore because it was costing me too much, but money and emotionally, i was looking to leave. at the same time, i was selling my house and property upstate. long story short. one night she came home drunk. i waited till she passed out, and i left. now if she would of left me, i would of been happy, but me leaving her, i had the biggest guilt feeling someone ever had in their life. she had no one, and no family. so i took care of her and where she lived, and her bills, and i lived with my mother. well i spent everything i made on the house i sold on her. in close to 2 years, AND GO AHEAD AND YELL, SCREAM, CALL ME DUMB, STUPID, A ASS, A JERK, OR WHATEVER YOU WANT, because i deserve it, she cost me over 100k. so that is the money i hated spending. i have no clue what she is doing now, but i know i don't have a bike any more, because i needed to cut back on bills, so you live and learn.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry, a little off topic, but I can't resist chiming in...

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    I paid $10.00 and 30 mins for my kid's college, it was the best investment ever and has allowed me to free up some funds to do what I want. I bought my Spyder for my wife and me to enjoy, and don't mind spending a few dollars to make it what we want and add some creature comforts.

Instructions on sending you kids to college for $10.00, simply put $10.00 in your gas tank, have your kids dress for success, load up your favorite driving direction maps (Garmin, Google Maps, Waze etc..) locate our many fine recruiting stations many options here, Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard and proceed. Not only can their college be taken care of, they can also get a career with a paycheck, (therefore freeing up more of your money) medical and housing is taken care of too.

As an added bonus, they will get a sense of pride, some good social skills, and great work ethics.
    I couldn't afford to send my boys to the college of their mother's choice (we're divorced) and encouraged them to do likewise; join one of the services, get some real-world life experience and use the many opportunities that will afford them to pursue a higher education. They ignored my advice and instead took on a mountain of student debt. Their choice.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    now if she would of left me, i would of been happy, but me leaving her, i had the biggest guilt feeling someone ever had in their life. she had no one, and no family. so i took care of her and where she lived, and her bills, and i lived with my mother. well i spent everything i made on the house i sold on her. in close to 2 years, AND GO AHEAD AND YELL, SCREAM, CALL ME DUMB, STUPID, A ASS, A JERK, OR WHATEVER YOU WANT, because i deserve it, she cost me over 100k. so that is the money i hated spending. i have no clue what she is doing now, but i know i don't have a bike any more, because i needed to cut back on bills, so you live and learn.
    It took me three marriages before I got it right. Can't say I learned from the first three; wife #4 chose me for some strange reason.

If you're stupid for investing all of yourself emotionally and financially on someone you cared about, only to have them screw you over, then just think what that makes me!

You got off cheap!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-19-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I never looked at it as someone on here bragging about what they have spent on their Spyder, I look at as them saying that the amount they have spent is very significant to them and they have to take that into consideration if they are going to upgrade or sell it.

I'm with you, went into debt to get it, was willing to do that because the 2 weeks my wife and I spend on it every year are worth it, and then because of a couple of GREAT years for the company I work for, it is now paid off. Why does it feel like more fun to ride when they are paid off, or at least it seams to.

I have seen people say they have $38,000, $50,000 and more into their Spyders, but I sometimes think they are counting all the new tires, oil changes, and every farkel they have put on. Part of that is maintenance and would be required no matter what you road, and the other was done by their choice to make it their own. The things they bought to make it their own should be considered when selling or trading, but in my opinion not in what it cost to own the bike.

I agree, I do not care what someone has into it, but I do like it when they find deals on things and post them for all to share!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Bottom line for me...I have had a good run, would I do some things differently via 20/20 hindsight? Yes. I would still do the wives, 's, and motorcycles. Life is still good and "interesting."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Jimmy, I live just outside of a super-wealthy community and the things these elites say and the way they spend their money on third and fourth 'homes' that will be occupied only a few weeks a year make me cringe sometimes. They just recently raised $38 million through charitable donations to buy some open space to keep their 'buffer zone' intact for eons. I made a comment on social media that I can think of much better ways to spend $38 million in charitable donations that would directly benefit people less fortunate than themselves. The responses I got to that were pretty hostile for the most part. On the other hand, the same community supports local charities, including the one my wife runs (a domestic violence shelter), a non-profit health clinic, etc. so it's hard to get too upset when they do something so obviously self-serving once in awhile. And, I have to remind myself that every community has in it people who share my values and those who don't.

How does that relate to your comments? Well, to begin with I really doubt any members of this forum are independently wealthy as you're suggesting. We're Spyder enthusiasts sharing our appreciation of these wonderful machines with anyone who cares to join the conversation. I imagine the degree of passion and enthusiasm runs the gamut also from casual riders to those who have devoted themselves exclusively to the sport. I think the demographics of the Spyder community tend to be older people with disposable income and time to enjoy what they do, but not all. I think you'll find that, once the kids have finally left the nest, you will also have more time and money to enjoy 'extra-curricular activities', including Spydering.

You, like others on the forum, make your own choices as to how you spend your time, money and other resources. If some choose to spend their money on modifications, accessories or just plain 'farkle', why should you take that so personally?

I hope you can make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in and enjoy owning and riding your bike in your own style, regardless of what others do.
    Very well said. Everyone has choices; you buy what you want, go wherever you want and do whatever.... Choices and consequences!!!
    2016 RTL , Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Well we do name our bikes....Even have a name for the wife.
    If Ali has a pet name for you: I hope that it's better than the ones that my Missus calls me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well, I am still in the "work force" when I have extra money I buy some farkles. I don't name my . To each his own, also Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is...

Very few people complain of wasted money - tho we all wish extra bits weren't so expensive.

I haven't noticed anyone bragging about how rich they are...

Hmm - we used to put our dollars into money pits like home renovations, raising a family etc, now that's all done we can call our spyders money pits if we like - but we don't.

We are paying happily for the pleasure we get from our spyders.

our money -our choice

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

jimmybarton,
    Something you should perhaps keep in mind. There will always be people who have much less than you and think that you are wealthy regardless of what you think and there will always be people who have more. The same applies to each and every one of us. I got over a long time ago that others have more than me. The only people that should care what I have is my wife and I.

Because many of us are retired and worked hard for our money and choose to spend it as we see fit and can take time to travel and do things, you say we are BSing or are CEO's or a big bucks daddy. And incidentally, I don't complain about the quality of my Spyder or name it. Others do, so what, if they wish to. And I'm sure many on here contribute to society in many different ways to try and help others.

I read and reread your post and fail to see the need to judge others if I understood it as you intended.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this a reply to a post that got deleted?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)