Thread: Cross Winds

Spyder Garage

Default Cross Winds

New riders, both myself and my wife, so between the two of us have total of 525 miles on RT Limited. She does not like the lateral wind either from just nature or from semi's she meets.

Will sway bar make much difference in helping this, or is it merely something that she has to get use to over time and can tell her it gets better with experience?
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An anti-sway bar will help...
    But so will pulling your knees in against the tank; to help steady yourself on the bike!
    Your "Best-Half" should just hang on to her grabrails a bit tighter...
    It's not the bike that is getting blown around: it's you!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-19-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    New riders, both myself and my wife, so between the two of us have total of 525 miles on RT Limited. She does not like the lateral wind either from just nature or from semi's she meets.

Will sway bar make much difference in helping this, or is it merely something that she has to get use to over time and can tell her it gets better with experience?
    Nothing is going to protect her from buffeting winds, but maybe you mean the effect it has on the bike, not the wind on her person?

If so, what is the effect on the bike that she finds so discomforting? Apparently, you are not bothered by it - just her? As a passenger, she has grab handles to hold onto; she just has to trust they will keep her from being blown off the bike.

Cross winds affect the Spyder much less than they do a 2-wheeler, but it's still a relatively small vehicle and will be impacted somewhat by buffeting winds.

If you are finding the Spyder is being blown off course and you have to wrestle it for control in those situations, then a sway bar could help. But first, make sure the bike is properly aligned and the tires properly inflated, with good rubber.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-19-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: additional comments
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We were buffeted by 30 MPH sustained winds and 40 MPH gusts on our way home from Spyderfest 2017. We had the sway bar installed while in Springfield. I could tell that the bike was affected a lot less laterally and that both Karen and I were the ones being pushed around. Really glad we had the sway bar on our 2010 RT.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It's you not the motorcycle

The BajaRon bar will help with stability of the motorcycle. If the cross winds are strong enough you are going to start to be a Sail! You will catch the wind and you will be blown in such a way you may feel you are being blown off the Motorcycle. We had 45 and 60 mph crosswinds in South Dakota, and Wyoming and my wife had a very hard time holding as she was driving. When we turned into the wind the RT was totally wide open and all it could do was 70 mph and drained the gas tank in 89 miles. There are some times when you just have to stop and wait for it to blow over. The impact is far less than what you would experience on a two wheeler!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just rode through a lot of wind on my way home from Homecoming. I have the Baja Ron sway bar and Ron's shock adjusters installed. The winds did not affect me much at all. Mostly you just have to relax, both your body and your hold on the handlebars. The Spyder will stay quite stable but it will move some, and your body will move in the wind. You can't prevent it, but you can tolerate it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Passenger seat is a B**** with strong crosswinds

Have riden many miles in the drivers seat and as a passenger on the RT with the wife driving when we're two up and switching off with the driver duties. With strong cross winds the driver has it made with good wind protection, and we've enjoyed Ron's swaybar upgrade on the 11 RT for 70,000 miles. Usually the strongest crosswinds seem to be coming across Kansas from SpyderFest in the Springtime, and I would much rather be the pilot than the rider in those conditions. Just part of riding. Bad crosswind days just make you appreciate the tailwind days when they come.. not much you can do about it other than try to "tuck in" behind the pilot.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the other responders regarding the value of a BajaRon sway bar.

You say you and your wife have a total of 525 miles on the Spyder(s). For your own safety, get lots more miles more of experience, particularly in the crosswinds. You will eventually get more accustomed to them. At the extremes they are not going to be fun but with experience your comfort level will increase.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S