Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Warm Weather Riding Clothes

I bought my RTS in November, so I ended up getting the normal motorcycle jacket, gloves, pants, etc. for winter riding. As a Spyder noob, I want to know what you wear for Spring/Summer riding. Do you still wear all the normal motorcycle safety type clothing or regular clothing and shoes because the dynamics of the trike are different than a two wheeler?

So far, I have been riding with the liner out of my winter jacket, but it gets a little warm . So, I m interested in whatever you and/or your +1 ride in. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Shop around....

There are summer jackets with protection like the mesh ones as well as wicking clothings such as heat out etc. Many of the bike shops carry these. Always wise to have good gear while ryding. Find some that suit you and keep you comfrotable. Check Cycle Gear, Jarfrum etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default vents?

first, see if your existing jacket has vents, and open them up. You'll find a lot of the time that the vents will keep you comfortable as long as you're moving. Then you take the jacket off as soon as you stop.

Look into getting a mesh jacket with or without a removable rain shell for summer wear.

It's a personal preference as to whether you ditch the safety gear in the warm weather, but there's always a chance of a car/sypder interaction and if you're not wearing better (aka motorcycle) gear, you're going to get more damage to yourself than you would if you had that gear on.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Base layer clothes

I was quite impressed at the difference wearing the under armor heat gear made in keeping me cooler on those warm days. I'm sold on it and now have heat gear and cold gear from them, would by again in a second.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Kevlar Jeans, Mesh Jacket (textile or leather), boots, light gloves (prefer fingerless), and helmet.

Not perfect for safety (ATGATT)...but that is my choice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kevlar jeans and mesh jackets (with the body armor still intact...) will keep you safe...
    If you get too warm: stop for ice cream!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've ridden in the Deep South for some time now.

There are a number of cotton motorcycle jeans that have Kevlar or cordura in the hips and butt, along with harder CE armor in the knees. I prefer these to regular textile bike pants (e.g., full cordura or cordura mesh), as the cotton transpires much better than other textiles. This is important if you ride a fully-faired bike, as there will be less air movement to wick away heat and moisture. So, IMO, cotton does a better job of passive transpiration.

I used to wear just a Draggin' Jeans mesh Kevlar shirt over a t-shirt; no impact protection, just skid protection. Same rationale as above, behind a fairing. But I finally decided that the market has matured enough to look for better alternatives. I did some research and bought a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket (not the newer Phoenix Ion that the dealers are currently pushing. It flows even less air than the older 5.0, for more money!). Another good choice would be FirstGear's Mesh Tex jacket. I'll soon find out how the new jacket works in this subtropical heat and humidity!

I haven't had any luck with UnderArmor-type clothing. I have found that cotton wicks and retains perspiration better than the plastic clothing. It probably works OK on an unfaired bike where you get plenty of airflow, but that's not the case with a BMW RT (my previous machine) or a Spyder RT. IMO, cotton works best in high humidity. (And this, of course, will engender as passionate a discussion as Chevy vs. Ford pickup trucks. Or .45 vs. 9MM.)

Also, if you can find them, go with natural tan gloves -- they suck less heat from the sun than the usual black leather. Even better is deerskin -- thinner, more supple. I found some in Tractor Supply for about $30.
    Last edited by Fat Baxter; 04-09-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've found the most comfortable boots to be genuine leather without lining. Pricey, but worth it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default hey mac...

pretty much the same with most folks here , 2 wheels , the heavier leather jacket , { nice and warm on the 90 degree days , but go a little faster and the wind helps ... on the 3 wheeler , feel more comfortable with a not much there out fit ! { ride next weekend buddy , will keep in touch }

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use Olympia Expedition (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...edition-jacket) gear. It's good for all seasons. Available for men and women. No need for spirit gear for the seasons. For long summer riding I add an evaporative vest under the jacket.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Get a good quality mesh jacket and riding jeans. Experiment with regular or wicking shirts to see which is more comfortable. In the desert the wicking shirts under the mesh jacket work for me.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Speed & Strength jacket has lots of vents in it, and is comfortable up into the eighties:

New Gear 02.jpg

But when the thermometer is getting into the "Fire Alarm" range: I've got a TourMaster mesh jacket that is awesome!

Spyder Garage

TourMaster 4 seasons jacket for longer distance rides pounding the superslab not during the dog-days of Summer. Then I switch between the CanAm mesh and denim jackets.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Flip Flops, tank shirt, and shorts. But seriously, I wear 3/4 height boot type shoes, a mesh/armored jacket, jeans, and a 3/4 helmet.
    But I do have a buddy that actually rides his M109 with the flip flops, tank shirt, and shorts on. I have tried to convince him to do better for his own safety, but have had no luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Flip Flops, tank shirt, and shorts. But seriously, I wear 3/4 height boot type shoes, a mesh/armored jacket, jeans, and a 3/4 helmet.
    But I do have a buddy that actually rides his M109 with the flip flops, tank shirt, and shorts on. I have tried to convince him to do better for his own safety, but have had no luck.
    ATGATT.jpg

Spyder Garage

Pretty much depends on the climate your riding in. At 110* + here in the "old Pueblo" a rayon/nylon t-shirt, Cooling Vest, neck cooler, and a vented fishing shirt with long

sleeve is highly recommended. Of course boots and long pants with light colored gloves. Many summer riders have passed out here at extreme temps (110-120*) wearing

ATGATT.

I am a firm believer in it but common sense sometimes "Trumps" ATGATT. Let the Flaming begin!

Oh and the most important thing, drink lots and lots of water!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Pretty much depends on the climate your riding in. At 110* + here in the "old Pueblo" a rayon/nylon t-shirt, Cooling Vest, neck cooler, and a vented fishing shirt with long sleeve is highly recommended. Of course boots and long pants with light colored gloves. Many summer riders have passed out here at extreme temps (110-120*) wearing ATGATT.
    I am a firm believer in it but common sense sometimes "Trumps" ATGATT. Let the Flaming begin!

Oh and the most important thing, drink lots and lots of water!
    Jack
    If somebody passes out because they weren't using common sense, and taking steps to hydrate properly:
    Wearing the gear may be a bit uncomfortable during periods of really high temperatures...
    But so is falling off of your bike, while wearing comfy clothes.

Wear your Beach Clothes on the Beach!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Summer heat can be dealt with in a number of ways, but the underlying theory is evaporative cooling and keeping cooler air next to your skin. To make that effective, choose under layers that wick moisture. Then add a layer to keep air flow next to your skin and shield you from direct sun.

Usually, bare skin loses moisture too quickly when riding - you basically dehydrate yourself. A light wicking layer absorbs perspiration, releasing it slowly to evaporate. Mesh gear and vented gear give you airflow management, while also adding protection if you get thrown off.

Cooling vests, neck rolls etc, help augment any natural sweating. The neck rolls help cool the arteries supplying blood to the brain, the vests help cool the upper body to maintain stable core temperatures.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks. I guess I should rule out my shorts and sandals

I have the Tourmaster 4 Season Jacket. It has been great in the cold and cool weather. It is still pretty toasty with all the events open. I ordered the Joe Rocket jacket that was recommended. It arrives tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

I am looking at getting this jacket. The whole thing is a cordura mesh, super tough. Its pricey though.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-airall-jacket
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Down here in SoFlo I use the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 as well. Works well and has zip in liner if it gets a little chilly. I also like the small collar as opposed to those turtle neck styles that get really annoying.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

i'm close to Houston with high humidity and hot weather. The past few days the feels like temp has been 105. I find to keep cool and also be seen, I wear a bright chartruese thong.

Lol.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    i'm close to Houston with high humidity and hot weather. The past few days the feels like temp has been 105. I find to keep cool and also be seen, I wear a bright chartruese thong.

Lol.

brain_bleach2_4427.jpg

Spyder Garage

Love that graphic!

Are there any easy solutions to reduce the heat of the sun beating on the thighs? (I've ruled out the thong idea!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Get a good quality mesh jacket and riding jeans. Experiment with regular or wicking shirts to see which is more comfortable. In the desert the wicking shirts under the mesh jacket work for me.
    On a two-wheeler I wear armored riding pants; I have both the mesh and regular fabric. But, on the Spyder I am less concerned about going down with a bike on top of me so wear regular pants without protection. I'm experimenting with the Bohn system of under-garment armor so I can have the best of both worlds.

Note; We live in the high desert of the intermountain west, where humidity is much lower than in the east and central plains, so I'm not sure what difference that might make to our choices for riding gear.
    2014 RTL Platinum