Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mounting GPS at eye level on RT?

Has anyone tried changing the location of the GPS mount so that it is closer to eye level? I'd like to mount mine above the dash, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see the route / instructions / etc. Also, mounting it higher and level will eliminate much of the sun glare on the screen.

I thought it might be a simple matter of rerouting the factory gps cable but everything is so tight in there I haven't been able to figure out where it originates.

Got any tips on this?

Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

JT machine shop and other sponsor vendors on the home page have a mounting bar that goes above the dash. Then with a ram arm, the length you like, you can come up even higher...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Both of these sponsors have the mount... The wiring is the part that you have to figure out! Good luck!

https://www.tricledusa.com/

http://spyderstore.com/

Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-28-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks! I wasn't aware of theirs...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks! I wasn't aware of theirs...
    I just noticed it the other day.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Has anyone tried changing the location of the GPS mount so that it is closer to eye level? I'd like to mount mine above the dash, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see the route / instructions / etc. Also, mounting it higher and level will eliminate much of the sun glare on the screen.

I thought it might be a simple matter of rerouting the factory gps cable but everything is so tight in there I haven't been able to figure out where it originates.

Got any tips on this?

I should have been more clear. I already have the RAM mount accessory bar attached to above my dash. Now I have to figure out the wiring. THAT is what I'm looking for some advice on. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Let me try this again. I just moved the GPS from the handlebar to the top of the console, because I didn't want to purchase a mount for the triaxis bars. So I used a RAM mount to put the GPS right above the 'safety card'. It wasn't that hard, but it was time consuming as the wiring harness runs down the right hand side behind the body work. There is enough wire to do this and we pulled the GPS wiring from the handlebar, out the side, and then had to open up the wiring harness to get enough wire to run it up and on top of the console. We took off the top of the console and just re-routed the wiring, then put it back together.

012f5374ad9cd6c8119a1486b3b656ed57fbca1cf1.jpg

David
    Last edited by Devious56; 05-28-2017 at 05:46 PM.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

I had my old shop move my GPS to the top of the dash. The wire comes out blocking the instruction/warning card that we are supposed to read. It works great for me. PM me if you have any questions.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    I had my old shop move my GPS to the top of the dash. The wire comes out blocking the instruction/warning card that we are supposed to read. It works great for me. PM me if you have any questions.
    Yeah, that's where mine comes out ,but we just took that card and put it out of it's misery. Bye bye card,

David

Spyder Garage

Default sat & gps mount

ok going to try this with pictures used ram stick on mounts one on each side of console with regular length arm so far works well purchased wiring from edotechsupply.com for both sat and gps hard wire into the harness no cig. lighter socket required ran wire through the dash along side upper arms for windshield picked up power and ground from fuel gauge and temp gauge now let's try pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harry1025 View Post
    ok going to try this with pictures used ram stick on mounts one on each side of console with regular length arm so far works well purchased wiring from edotechsupply.com for both sat and gps hard wire into the harness no cig. lighter socket required ran wire through the dash along side upper arms for windshield picked up power and ground from fuel gauge and temp gauge now let's try pictures
    Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to see how the cable was routed through the dash; did you have to drill holes anywhere? This may be more clear in the pics, but unfortunately I'm getting the message 'invalid link' when I try clicking on them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Let me try this again. I just moved the GPS from the handlebar to the top of the console, because I didn't want to purchase a mount for the triaxis bars. So I used a RAM mount to put the GPS right above the 'safety card'. It wasn't that hard, but it was time consuming as the wiring harness runs down the right hand side behind the body work. There is enough wire to do this and we pulled the GPS wiring from the handlebar, out the side, and then had to open up the wiring harness to get enough wire to run it up and on top of the console. We took off the top of the console and just re-routed the wiring, then put it back together.

012f5374ad9cd6c8119a1486b3b656ed57fbca1cf1.jpg

David
    Thanks for the pic. This is pretty much what I want to do also. Did you route the wire from the gps through the slot where the pull-out card goes? Not sure how you get the power cable inside the body-work. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Easy!

Remove windshield. Remove dash cover. You will see the screws. Route wire. Reassemble. Clean and easy!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Remove windshield. Remove dash cover. You will see the screws. Route wire. Reassemble. Clean and easy!
    Hi Joe. How are you and Mary? Thanks for the tip - I'll try that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not sure what bike model and year you have so this may not work.

If you have an RT, 2014 or later you should be able to very easily lengthen the wires. Purchase a 3.5mm audio extension cable, next purchase a sealed two pin power and ground connector set or pre built extension.

Find the two connectors, audio is along the right side of the fuel tank, power and ground is just aft of the fuel tank. Extend the harness there by plugging in the extensions.

While disconnected, you will want to withdraw the oem wire harness for the GPS from the handlebars. Next will be to reroute as needed to place the Garmin for heads up display.

Should be a very simple, but time consuming mod.
    Sorry, I guess I should have said. I have a 2014 RTL. I appreciate the info on locating the gps-related connectors; that narrows it down somewhat for me so I have a better idea what part of the bike to be digging into.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you try posting the pics again? I don't seem to be able to open those links so I can't see the pics. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed the Can Am setup on our 2014 RTS, not that the instructions are great, but you are able see them to get a better understanding of how the install is. The instructions mention wiring mods. There is non of that on the 14 RT series, all plug and play.
    Can you post those instructions, or tell me where to get them? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default i tryed

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to see how the cable was routed through the dash; did you have to drill holes anywhere? This may be more clear in the pics, but unfortunately I'm getting the message 'invalid link' when I try clicking on them.
    no holes anywhere i hate drilling if ican avoid it the picture thing was my first attempt apparently did it wrong ran wire through the dash were the windshield arms go you have to take the dash out with the gauges you can feed the wire up through there very easy pick up power from gauge wires replace dash and go this gives power with key on only

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no holes anywhere i hate drilling if ican avoid it the picture thing was my first attempt apparently did it wrong ran wire through the dash were the windshield arms go you have to take the dash out with the gauges you can feed the wire up through there very easy pick up power from gauge wires replace dash and go this gives power with key on only
    Thanks. I get it now.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

IMG_1234[1].jpgIMG_1235[1].jpg

Hay Pete, I tried to send these in a message but had no luck. Doc Riverside did most of the work on this, and I feel fortunate that he let me help. This position makes for easy viewing without blocking any of the road. It wasn't hard to do, just time consuming and required opening up the front between the frunk and console (and taking off the windshield ) allowed easy access and sight , and we opened up the righthand side to make it easier to thread the connector thru the framework. If you are still interested in doing this, contact Doc Riversider, or, I can try to explain what all we did on the telephone.

David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP instructions for wiring gps

Instructions, Can Am has the instructions online. I linked the exact same for someone on Facebook a couple days ago.

Let me see if it can be found easily.

Try this

http://instructions.brp.com/content/...0404,219400463
    Perfect. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    IMG_1234[1].jpgIMG_1235[1].jpg

Hay Pete, I tried to send these in a message but had no luck. Doc Riverside did most of the work on this, and I feel fortunate that he let me help. This position makes for easy viewing without blocking any of the road. It wasn't hard to do, just time consuming and required opening up the front between the frunk and console (and taking off the windshield ) allowed easy access and sight , and we opened up the righthand side to make it easier to thread the connector thru the framework. If you are still interested in doing this, contact Doc Riversider, or, I can try to explain what all we did on the telephone.

David
    Thanks, David. And all the others who responded with some great tips.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Dash rack

I just use a JT style dash rack ( OK ----I copied it out of 6061-t6 aluminum ) and some RAM mounts.) Ran the power to the battery tender pigtail ( BE CAREFUL OF THE POLIARTY) in the frunk. all easy peasy.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow