Spyder Garage

Default Rear brake pedal

My 2011 Spyder RT's brakes were getting mushy so I took it to the dealer (Cowtown USA) and they bled the brakes. However, the brakes don't feel much different. The pedal has to be pushed way too far down to get adequate braking (my toes are pointing nearly straight down when the maximum braking occurs). Is this normal?

I want the brakes to apply with less brake pedal movement (Perhaps 45 degrees of movement).
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750
    1974 Rokon MX340
    1984 Toyota tube buggy (Truggy) rock crawler (highly modified)
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser(modifiedfor off-roaduse)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They bled the brakes: did they flush the sytem and replace all of the old fluid?
    Your bike is old enough to need some fresh fluids.
    The 2012 and earlier bikes often would brake harder if you pumped them...
    (The newer Brembo setups actually do work a lot better. )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They bled the brakes: did they flush the sytem and replace all of the old fluid?
    Your bike is old enough to need some fresh fluids.
    The 2012 and earlier bikes often would brake harder if you pumped them...
    (The newer Brembo setups actually do work a lot better. )

I don't know but pumping the brakes helps. Thanks!
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    1974 Rokon MX340

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MUSHY BRAKES

Quote Originally Posted by Casher50 View Post
    My 2011 Spyder RT's brakes were getting mushy so I took it to the dealer (Cowtown USA) and they bled the brakes. However, the brakes don't feel much different. The pedal has to be pushed way too far down to get adequate braking (my toes are pointing nearly straight down when the maximum braking occurs). Is this normal?

I want the brakes to apply with less brake pedal movement (Perhaps 45 degrees of movement).
    We need more info to help ...... How many miles on your Spyder ..... are the rear Pads original ..... is / was the brake fluid original ....... All these are important factors ................. Cowtown has had a reputation for excellence in the past ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That they do...
    But anyone can miss a step: once in a while.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    We need more info to help ...... How many miles on your Spyder ..... are the rear Pads original ..... is / was the brake fluid original ....... All these are important factors ................. Cowtown has had a reputation for excellence in the past ..... Mike
    The Spyder has 24,777 miles on it. I don't know if the fluids, pads etc. have been changed as I am the third owner. Cowtown does good work but I expected a bigger change in brake performance than I got. I expected that I would step on the brake, depress it a little and the Spyder would STOP!
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    1974 Rokon MX340

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MUSHY

Quote Originally Posted by Casher50 View Post
    The Spyder has 24,777 miles on it. I don't know if the fluids, pads etc. have been changed as I am the third owner. Cowtown does good work but I expected a bigger change in brake performance than I got. I expected that I would step on the brake, depress it a little and the Spyder would STOP!
    .... WITH 24,777 miles I think they might have at least changed the rear pads by this time ( I didn't until 30,000 ) and If any dealer did it .... it would be found with a computer TRACE !!!! by the dealer ...... I also agree with your second sentence, at 30,000 mi my front pads are OK but the rears were toast ( at least the inside ( left ) pad ) ..... but with a full container of brake fluid I was still stopping fine...... if your brake fluid has never been changed , it's very old, so this is a possibility...... You can see the rear right pad with a flashlight but the left side is the one that wears first and you must drop the caliber to see it, unless you are real handy with mirrors ...... Sorry but this is the best I can do without touching your Spyder ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-19-2017 at 01:51 PM.