Thread: RTl CB question

Spyder Garage

Default RTl CB question

2014 Spyder RTL without CB. I am coming from a group of goldwingers and CB is used by all. I have not heard very good reviews for the Spyder CB. And, it is outlandishly expensive for it's poor performance. I do have a hand held CB that has a "Mic" input and a "speaker" output.
    Is there any reason I cannot mount my handheld using one of the many brackets available from our venders and have the mic and speaker wired into my headset. To me this seems like a simplistic and inexpensive answer to a bad CB supplied by BRP. I suspect the wiring would have to be individually tailored but the mic and audio plugs on the CB unit look to be something that is universal.
    Has any one tried this and had any results (good or bad). I realize this bypasses the Spyder audio system altogether and my factory PTT button would be inoperative but instead, I would just have to key the mic using the PTT button on the CB unit. No big deal.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences are appreciated
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-18-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Cb

We have 2 rtl a2012 and a2015. Both dealer installed cbs never had any issues with either. I had one on my wing prior to the Spyder also. They sure make it nice when riding with a group.

Spyder Garage

Default CB installed on RTS

I have the 2010 RTS with the CB. Here in Hill Country we do a lot of rides and use the CB quite a bit. I have the factory unit and yes it was expensive. But I have not had any problems with it. The hardest part was setting up the squelch, mic gain etc... Once set up it worked fine.

I also have a hamradio on my Spyder. I run it with Bluetooth to my helmet. They have Bluetooth CB's, you may want to consider getting one of those. This way you will not have to wire it to your helmet.

regards,

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default CHANNEL

IS THERE ANY PARTICULAR CHANNEL THAT BIKERS USE.....?
    as we know, 19 is for truckers, and 11 is used by boaters, but what do biker use? and, do SPYD3R riders use a different channel than other bikers...? or is it strictly random depending on the group of riders...?
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default CB Channels Used in Hill Country

Here in Hill Country, we usually use channel 1 or 2 for our rides. Occasionally if there is a large motorcycle event in the area, we may use channels 4 or 5 if other riders are on our usual channels.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    2014 Spyder RTL without CB. I am coming from a group of goldwingers and CB is used by all. I have not heard very good reviews for the Spyder CB. And, it is outlandishly expensive for it's poor performance. I do have a hand held CB that has a "Mic" input and a "speaker" output.
    Is there any reason I cannot mount my handheld using one of the many brackets available from our venders and have the mic and speaker wired into my headset. To me this seems like a simplistic and inexpensive answer to a bad CB supplied by BRP. I suspect the wiring would have to be individually tailored but the mic and audio plugs on the CB unit look to be something that is universal.
    Has any one tried this and had any results (good or bad). I realize this bypasses the Spyder audio system altogether and my factory PTT button would be inoperative but instead, I would just have to key the mic using the PTT button on the CB unit. No big deal.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences are appreciated
    I started riding with a large group of GW riders and find myself in need of a CB...This info should get you pointed in the right direction...I purchased everything I needed to mount a Midland 75-822 CB from Providence Spyder Accessories LLC...I purchased their product at Americade this year...You will also need a SR10 and a cable for your CB to hook you up wirelessly to your helmet radio's, this can be purchased from Motorcycle Dave a sponsor here...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default RT CB

Sierra Electronics has a package for about $200 that includes a Cobra hand-held CB, a CB mounting bracket and a headset with a PTT button. The CB can be either direct powered or use rechargeable batteries, which is what I'm starting with. To mount it on the handlebar I bought Lamonster's Spyder Cuff drink holder and a RAM ball on a 1/4 x 20 stud. The cuff has several mounting options to position the bracket. If you go this route call Jeff at Sierra Electronics and tell him you want a RAM ball plate on the rear of his bracket. I think it's $12. Also, be aware that Cobra says to use the cb in power-save mode with a headset, meaning you get 1 watt versus 4 without power-saver, so you can receive normally but can only get about a 1/2 mile transmitting. I'd like my other 3 watts back so I'm going to contact Cobra C/S next week to see if there's a work-around to avoid running in the power-save mode.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jake6470 View Post
    Also, be aware that Cobra says to use the cb in power-save mode with a headset,
    I've been in 2-way radio for about 50 years now and that makes absolutely NO sense.
    Just switch it to high and don't worry.
    That might get you another half mile......but the antenna is the real limiting factor.
    With various bikes and radios, our riding group tends to lose contact at about a mile and a half.

AND the Spyders are better than most in our group.

Spyder Garage

I'm with you, Easyrider, but Cobra must have a reason to base their instruction to use power-save mode. I'll get back on here when I hear from them.

Spyder Garage
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very nice 2m installation. George WB5WFW

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well you can have the best radio ever made but.......IF you are the only one on that band.......it is worthless.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Well you can have the best radio ever made but.......IF you are the only one on that band.......it is worthless.
    Not sure what your comment means. Sure, if you are the only one on a particular band, or channel/frequency, it would be a bit worthless. On my Amateur radio installed in my Spyder there were plenty of folks for me to talk to so it wasn't worthless to me. If you wanted to talk to your group on CB then it wouldn't be worthless.

If Easy Rider was the only person on this planet I suppose language and talking would be worthless?
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    Not sure what your comment means.
    I mean your riding group must be pretty unique because in about 50 years of riding I have NEVER seen a bike with a Ham band radio.......but I have seen a LOT of them with CB's.

Saying that a 2 meter rig is "better" depends on what you want to use it for.

Spyder Garage

I mean your riding group must be pretty unique because in about 50 years of riding I have NEVER seen a bike with a Ham band radio.......but I have seen a LOT of them with CB's.

"Where exactly did you get all of that mis-information ?"

"
    Honestly I don't know what to think about you some times. "

Those are some of your previous statements from other posts so I see the warped angles where many of your posts are coming from.

I never said that "a 2 meter rig is "better"". Your made-up words, not mine. Did you actually read my other post? I know the post is somewhat long for a person with a short attention span. If you had read it you would have noticed where I wrote that the Amateur Radio installation would also apply to a CB radio.

So, are you one of those frustrated wanna-be Amateur Radio Operators that could never pass the test? I smell sour grapes here.

Step away from the computer and go outside and play. You could even play on your motorcycle if you have one. Otherwise, you are not contributing anything constructive here and trying to cause trouble so just go away.
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:

Spyder Garage

About 50 years of riding? You should pay attention more often:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=amateur+radio

http://marc-hq.org/

http://wingworldmag.com/tech/ham-it-...nterest-group/
    Last edited by WA5VHU; 07-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    "Where exactly did you get all of that mis-information ?"

"
    Honestly I don't know what to think about you some times. "

Those are some of your previous statements from other posts so I see the warped angles where many of your posts are coming from.
    Glad to see that this forum isn't any different than all of the others........so now we are shifting over to throwing rocks at other users because you don't like their method of presentation.

I won't be sucked in by your flame bait.

I am sorry if you think any of my comments were a criticism of you personally. That was not intended.

Spyder Garage

Glad to see that this forum isn't any different than all of the others........so now we are shifting over to throwing rocks at other users because you don't like their method of presentation.

I won't be sucked in by your flame bait.

I am sorry if you think any of my comments were a criticism of you personally. That was not intended.
    Then next time use more words to explain yourself. I don't know about the rest of the folks here but I'm not a mind reader. Out in the real world I am a smart a$$ but I know I can't make short comments on a forum and expect everyone to understand if I am being an _hole or just trying to be funny.

My Amateur Radio use on my motorcycle was to talk with other Hams in the area, mostly Hams that I know and talk with regularly, not other motorcycles although my radio would receive on the GMRS channel that our Spyder group used for the ryde captains so I used it to listen in on them.

I have never traveled with a motorcycle group that used CB but if I did I would have likely rigged up my installation so I could quickly swap out radio chassis and antenna between Ham and CB - everything else in the setup would have been the same.
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous: