Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I recently saw a YouTube video by a Spyder mechanic warning people that certain LED strip lights on Spyders, as they will mess with the canbus. He said he has had to fix a number of bikes that were having problems resulting from LEDs. In the following video, it's on RT with an added LED strip at the top of the trunk.
    Last edited by RiverCity45; 06-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Chris,
    I know that you've got no time to fool with another problem... but I'd be at the dealership this morning, and standing on the Service Manager's desk about 7 seconds after they open up...
    They did this to your bike: they owe you a VERY prompt resolution!

Agree 100%! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Glad you figured it out so you can ride. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity45 View Post
    I recently saw a YouTube video by a Spyder mechanic warning people that certain LED strip lights on Spyders, as they will mess with the canbus. He said he has had to fix a number of bikes that were having problems resulting from LEDs. In the following video, it's on RT with an added LED strip at the top of the trunk.
    I saw this months ago and didn't believe it. I'm still not sure why the lights were causing my canbus to go haywire after the top case was installed. But I checked and double checked. Plug the lights in, bike is a no-go. Unplug the harness, bike works flawlessly. Oddest thing I've seen.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default After-market LED's interfering with the CANBUS?

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I saw this months ago and didn't believe it. I'm still not sure why the lights were causing my canbus to go haywire after the top case was installed. But I checked and double checked. Plug the lights in, bike is a no-go. Unplug the harness, bike works flawlessly. Oddest thing I've seen.
    There's got to be something wrong with the way the mechanic wired the lights. There are many RT's on here with add-on LED lights (including from TricLED) that have not experienced any problems as you are describing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi armyspydervet,

Re: As soon as I disconnected the LED lights, everything went back to normal.

How did you bring the power to these LED lites? Did you come from the battery or from some other source?

Just wondering.

Re:
    They won't be going back on until I can get the LEDs professionally installed.

Are you thinking that a 'professional' will do something different as to the install?

Again, just wondering.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Always nice to see some progress on a problem. At least you have it partially taken care of.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi armyspydervet,

Re: As soon as I disconnected the LED lights, everything went back to normal.

How did you bring the power to these LED lites? Did you come from the battery or from some other source?

Just wondering.

Re:
    They won't be going back on until I can get the LEDs professionally installed.

Are you thinking that a 'professional' will do something different as to the install?

Again, just wondering.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Always nice to see some progress on a problem. At least you have it partially taken care of.
    i appreciate the questions. I may have done something during the install, I installed them myself. They were connected with a harness that came with the lights. Unplugged the tail lights, put a harness in between them and ran the wires from the harness to the lights.

I am an amateur (at best) on maintain my spyder. I may have not plugged something in correctly it was causing a short or something to not be connect right. I'm not blaming the lights or the dealer at this point. It was there idea to start disconnecting the aftermarket lights to see if that helped. It worked. Now when I have time, I'll reconnect them one by one except the lights that were causing the problem. Those I'll leave disconnected until someone smarter than me can hook them up.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There's got to be something wrong with the way the mechanic wired the lights. There are many RT's on here with add-on LED lights (including from TricLED) that have not experienced any problems as you are describing.
    Mechanic only installed the top case. Maybe he knocked something loose on my harness that caused the issue, I don't know. At least it's running for me to ride to TN this weekend.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I had a wire not seated in a harness for my HMT that caused some issues. Once I got it seated properly nothing has acted up. The harness even looked ok until I tugged a bit.

The one thing I like to also do is use relays so that way any aftermarket lights are isolated from that he other systems.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Hi jwulf74,

Re: The one thing I like to also do is use relays so that way any aftermarket lights are isolated from that the other systems.

^^^^^ This is the reason as to why I asked.

I will be wiring a 3rd taillight soon & have all of the parts to do it this way.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've found that the electrical systems on these trikes can be temperamental. I still haven't gotten my problem solved but have some ideas.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...59#post1260559
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna