Hybrid View

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP -About to leave for East TN and Spyder won't start

Just got my Spyder back from the dealer after six weeks because they couldn't figure out why my top case was not working. Picked it up Friday and everything worked great. Got it home, washed it and put it in garage. Went to start it and when I turn the key everything lights up like normal. Go to hit the mode button...nothing. Go to release the parking brake nothing. Go to hit start...just one faint click. But everything else is on. I checked battery connections and they all seem fine. I'm going to put it on a tender tonight, but could it really be the battery?

Any ideas? I missed homecoming because it was in the shop. Don't really want to miss this event too.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Check the kill switch maybe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramsail View Post
    Check the kill switch maybe.
    No. Kill switch is on. This won't go past the mode screen.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

It sounds like an electrical issue. The Battery Tender might help but I would be concerned about heading out on a trip with a bad battery. You might want to have it tested prior to leaving. Good luck and hope you get the issue resolved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    It sounds like an electrical issue. The Battery Tender might help but I would be concerned about heading out on a trip with a bad battery. You might want to have it tested prior to leaving. Good luck and hope you get the issue resolved.
    I hope it's just the battery. I could replace that tomorrow. Don't leave until Wednesday.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if your F3 has the feature but did you press the eco button first to clear the screen . Just throwing that out there..

Or check the connections at the battery first.

Spyder Garage

It is sounding like a battery issue to me. Dealer had it for six weeks--I am willing to bet that it was not put on a battery tender during that time. I am guessing you battery was near discharge. They probably had to jump start it to get things going--when you were to pick it up.

A tender usually will not input more charge into the battery--it is a battery maintainer. A battery charger should be used to get your battery up to par. Since this is a new F3, any problems should be on their dime.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It is sounding like a battery issue to me. Dealer had it for six weeks--I am willing to bet that it was not put on a battery tender during that time. I am guessing you battery was near discharge. They probably had to jump start it to get things going--when you were to pick it up.

A tender usually will not input more charge into the battery--it is a battery maintainer. A battery charger should be used to get your battery up to par. Since this is a new F3, any problems should be on their dime.
    Thank you. Im using a "speed charge" see picture. I've used it before I dead battery. So you think everything else would boot up fine and it still be the battery? All the lights work, screen comes on. Just won't go past the press the mode button screen and I can't disengage the parking brake. If I could just get it started, I'd get it to another dealer. I never want to go back to Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge, VA again.IMG_1165.jpgIMG_1164.jpg
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6