Spyder Garage

Default 2014 rss/2015 f3s

how much better is the f3s then the 2014 rss? looking to purchase the Daytona 500 f3
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

In terms of style it's light years ahead IMO. The moment the F3 was launched it just made the GS/RS/RSS look massively dated for me.

In terms of riding I've not ridden a 990 but to summarise the discussion I've read on here:

Potential advantages are more torque, more HP, lower centre of gravity (rider sits lower), six speed box, engine cheaper to service due to longer intervals, better MPG, no oil usage, more modern design, less plastic to remove to work on the bike.

Potential disadvantages are cruiser riding position rather than sport bike style, heavier, belt vibration on US models with large rear sprocket.

I'm trying not to be biased as an F3 owner but they are the only disavantages I can think of that have been covered on here. I'm sure some GS/RS/RSS owneres will chime in with their opinions too as I've seen a few threads following test drives of the F3. Most seem to have gone on to buy an F3 from memory.
    Last edited by monkeyboymorton; 06-18-2017 at 06:04 AM.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

my APPLE tastes different than my ORANGE.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    how much better is the f3s then the 2014 rss? looking to purchase the Daytona 500 f3
    How do you define "better"?
    What features are most important to you?
    How much consideration do you give to performance, and how do you define that term as well?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I get to ryde all spyders. Just depends on what you want to do. First of all the RS-S is light, around 50 pounds less than base model F3. You add on bags an other weight and all Spyders get slower. Stright line 0 to 60 the RS-S is a tad faster. In the twisties both are great. With the RS-S you feel part of it. With the F3 I feel as if I am behind it. I took another 30 lbs off my RS-S, me. I feel better and carve curves better. If you are not into high reving go with the F3. I love my V Twin music. Just enjoy the Ryde.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    I get to ryde all spyders. Just depends on what you want to do. First of all the RS-S is light, around 50 pounds less than base model F3. You add on bags an other weight and all Spyders get slower. Stright line 0 to 60 the RS-S is a tad faster. In the twisties both are great. With the RS-S you feel part of it. With the F3 I feel as if I am behind it. I took another 30 lbs off my RS-S, me. I feel better and carve curves better. If you are not into high reving go with the F3. I love my V Twin music. Just enjoy the Ryde.
    I agree with what he said. I had a 2012 RSS and now own a 2016 F3T. Due to the extra weight, I know for a fact that my RSS was faster (the 2012 was actually about 100 pounds lighter than the 2014 RSS and had 7 more hp). As for handling in the curves, if you know how to really ride a RSS, I think it would be faster there also. But I think (for me anyway) the F3 series would be easier to ride fast. Test ride them both, and decide for yourself.
    On a side note, I have owned my F3T for 2 months and love it, but I might pick up a used RSS for a second bike later one day.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

On who you ask....but seeing as you did...I would not change to an F3 but if you do, because everyone will tell you to, let us know if it you liked the change...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black