Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default garmin 660LM update

Hi, my 2014 RT LTD came with a Garmin 660LM. The only plugs on it are the connection for the bike and GPS and audio out. How do I update the maps. Everything I find says to plug it in to my computer. I do not even see a model number on itAll it says is Garmin and Zumo. Thanks, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wmh9680; 06-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Hi, my 2014 RT LTD came with a Garmin 660LM. The only plugs on it are the connection for the bike and GPS and audio out. How do I update the maps. Everything I find says to plug it in to my computer. I do not even see a model number on itAll it says is Garmin and Zumo. Thanks, Mike
    Take off the battery cover and you will find a USB socket. The necessary cable should have come with the kit. Download Garmin Express from Garmin.com. Plug in your 660 and Express should find your unit and tell you what software and maps are available. If the unit did not come with lifetime updates there is a price to pay. Any USB cable should work you don't have the Garmin one.
    Last edited by RTman10; 06-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

I don't have a 660, but I do updates regularly on my Nuvi. It has a cable that is Garmin-specific on the unit end, and usb on the other end to plug into your computer. Otherwise, just what ^^^^he said. Plug it in and your computer should find it. You should download Garmin Express first though. If it hasn't been updated for a while, it can take up to an hour or more to update.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Where is the Battery cover
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I have updated numerous Garmins before but the plug was plainly visible. I already have Garmin Express. I edited my 1st post with pics. Having trouble typing this morning I guess. Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by wmh9680; 06-17-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I have updated numerous Garmins before but the plug was plainly visible. I already have Garmin Express. I edited my 1st post with pics. Having trouble typing this morning I guess. Thanks, Mike
    On the bottom there is a slider. Slide it over and the battery cover will pop open.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Page 2 of your quick start guide

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks you so much. I just downlaoded the guide and manual and now have it open. I did nor receive a cable but I have some. Thanks again, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

It says I have 41mb of 3.45 gb lest. Is that a problem? Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yours sounds as if you're running out of space...
    I stuck a 32 GB micro SD card in mine...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Is that maybe under the battery. I also just updated Express and not I get a message--Garmin Express is unable to connect to the background service
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yours sounds as if you're running out of space...
    I stuck a 32 GB micro SD card in mine...
    Think the 660 might just use a standard SD card. You will also have to pop the battery out to see the slot as well. It's been a long time since I had one so I might be wrong.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a "micro"...
    But I only put an eight GB card in it... I bought a 32 GB version, but it wasn't supported, so I put that in my camera.
    I'll NEVER have to empty all of the pictures out of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTman10 View Post
    Think the 660 might just use a standard SD card. You will also have to pop the battery out to see the slot as well. It's been a long time since I had one so I might be wrong.
    Thanks, I'm downloading the update right now. I guess I will find out if I need more room. I hope to get the triaix handlebars this year so then I will have to get the adapter or figure something else out. Thanks again, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Mine came with a Garmin 590 last week. When I checked it it turned out to have 2015 maps in it and the updates were going to cost £79 for the whole of Europe. Bring less than impressed I have asked the dealer to replace it, this time with lifetime map,updates and a working battery. I pick it up on Monday. Could be an interesting swap as I will take my tablet to check it .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTman10 View Post
    Mine came with a Garmin 590 last week. When I checked it it turned out to have 2015 maps in it and the updates were going to cost £79 for the whole of Europe. Bring less than impressed I have asked the dealer to replace it, this time with lifetime map,updates and a working battery. I pick it up on Monday. Could be an interesting swap as I will take my tablet to check it .
    The best of luck to you!
    Please tell us about this encounter...

Spyder Garage

Do I need all the data already on the unit of should/can I get rid of some? I'm gonna get another micro card today before I update. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're careful: you can go in and delete all of those languages that you're never going to use.
    I cleared up a lot of room in mine by doing that!

Just take your time, and make sure that you leave yourself with at least one that is useful... As I recall: each language actually has two files for it.
    (If I'm remembering that correctly... )

You can also get rid of some of the icons that you'll never use also...

Spyder Garage

Do I need all the data already on the unit of should/can I get rid of some? I'm gonna get another micro card today before I update. Thanks, Mike
    An update will replace everything already in. GARMIN Express will tell you what . It can take a number of hours to download.

Spyder Garage

Okay, well I'll go ahead and upadate and picck up a micro card. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Okay, well I'll go ahead and upadate and picck up a micro card. Thanks, Mike
    Good advice above re: size of micro card - Garmin told me to use less than 32. Also, Garmin's help line was wonderful in helping me clear out the "garbage" I would never use - like all the excess languages. Finally, since this is a Garmin specifically for the Spyder, the Service number was different than their usual help line - they were able to transfer me.
    Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, I got it updated and it's working fine. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting us know that you've now "found your way"!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, I got it updated and it's working fine. Thanks, Mike
    Did you have to use the MicroSD Card? If so what size did you wind up using?
    Cheers!

P.S. Glad you got it updated!
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Update went fine without adding a micro card. I still want to get one though. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO