Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default OH NO! The dreaded "DESS ERROR".

My wife has had her 14 RT Limited now about 2 months. She has ridden it about 3 times.

Last time we were out we got stuck at a gas station and it wouldn't start. She kept thinking she wasn't using the correct procedure to start it.
    We were seeing a flashing key at the bottom center of the screen. We didn't know what that meant.

Well the other day, I went to move the bike and up on the screen pops, "DESS ERROR". After several attempts it would not start so I gave up and came to Spyderlovers.com and found some threads about the error.

Oh well,

This morning we are taking it down to the dealer to leave it to get fixed under the extended warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that she's having this problem...
    Your Dealer most likely wouldn't be willing to do this...
    But DESS can be disabled by someone with the proper version of BUDS...

You might be able to find someone here, that has the right "Kung-Fu" moves.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEALERS & DESS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that she's having this problem...
    Your Dealer most likely wouldn't be willing to do this...
    But DESS can be disabled by someone with the proper version of BUDS...

You might be able to find someone here, that has the right "Kung-Fu" moves.
    Bob it's not a question of whether Dealers " CAN'T or WON'T because of BRP " ..... They don't have the PROGRAM to connect to BUDS to do it .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default DESS - FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboyron View Post
    My wife has had her 14 RT Limited now about 2 months. She has ridden it about 3 times.

Last time we were out we got stuck at a gas station and it wouldn't start. She kept thinking she wasn't using the correct procedure to start it.
    We were seeing a flashing key at the bottom center of the screen. We didn't know what that meant.

Well the other day, I went to move the bike and up on the screen pops, "DESS ERROR". After several attempts it would not start so I gave up and came to Spyderlovers.com and found some threads about the error.

Oh well,

This morning we are taking it down to the dealer to leave it to get fixed under the extended warranty.
    Get all the part numbers from the work order and post them here so we can match them to what we know has worked in the past ...... Also what numbers were on the OLD parts ....... This is more for your benefit than ours ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bob it's not a question of whether Dealers " CAN'T or WON'T because of BRP " ..... They don't have the PROGRAM to connect to BUDS to do it .... Mike
    That depends upon which license they have purchased.
    My dealership has the capability, to do it; just not the will!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default LICENSE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That depends upon which license they have purchased.
    My dealership has the capability, to do it; just not the will!
    Since the License ( and program for BUDS ) is not FREE ..... and they aren't going to USE it ..... WHY DID THEY SPEND THE MONEY ON IT ...... I fail to see the logic in this ....... jmho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboyron View Post

Oh well,

Did you look at the thread " D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! posted on 8/2015 posted by (me) Deanna777? It is a long thread (26 pages long) with some very helpful info, and pictures, and part #'s ( dess module, Switch, ).

Be sure your can-am dealership has the parts there. It is covered under the B.E.S.T. Warranty. Keep your "invoices that you get from your dealership. Keep us posted.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

We have the extended warranty from Western Service Contract Corp. It is a very good warranty company.
    I had it on my Goldwing and it has covered over $6,000.00 in multiple repairs while it was under the warranty program.

The dealer, Malcolm Smith, had the bike approved to be repaired, they ordered and installed the parts and we are going to pick the bike up tomorrow.

When we got the bike, we only received one key. They said they would need both keys to re-program them. We agreed to purchase another key for around $50.00 and they would have it cut for about $3.00 and then have it programed at the same time as the other key so we don't have to pay for programming.

We are excited the bike was ready so quick. With this weather we have been having, around 102 - 109 this week, we wouldn't be riding it anyway.
    Our warranty is still good until May 2020 so we are in good shape in case something else comes up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Since the License ( and program for BUDS ) is not FREE ..... and they aren't going to USE it ..... WHY DID THEY SPEND THE MONEY ON IT ...... I fail to see the logic in this ....... jmho ...... Mike

For the same reason I did. The megatech licence version has a great many additional capabilities over the dealer version other than just DESS disable.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default I have the same issue on my 2015 RT-

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Get the DESS disabled and never worry about it again! Many people have had their DESS replaced with the latest and greatest part numbers, but the DESS errors seem to be happening on the 2014's which are 3 years old. How can anyone be sure it wont start happening to other years as they become the same age. Or start happening to the newest DESS part numbers when they are 3 years old and leave you stranded. Get the darn thing disabled. Most motorcycles dont have chipped keys. Why the heck does the Spyder need it. I have done several now, including my own. It is GREAT PEACE OF MIND!
    I would love to know how to disable this mess but frankly the Spyder to me is too complicated a machine to do it myself. My dealer (3 hours away) I trust fully and I don't get the feeling they will disable it for me. They have replaced the module once already and according to Deanna's part number on her thread we had the better of the DESS Module installed. Now though when we got to ride, and take the bike off the battery tender, and insert the key and go to start I get the DESS Error code. Take the key out and wait and put it back in and it works. We don't want to risk this mess so probably will be hauling it back to our dealer this week or next to get this module replaced AGAIN! It is a royal hassle and I wish there was an "Easy" way to fix this. I agree I dont' think we need "Chipped" keys for the Spyders. Just another headache we shouldn't have to be dealing with. This is on a 2015 RT with very low mileage so far. So I don't get it.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Agree more features are available on aftermarket BUDS than oem Can Am Buds.

Not 100% certain, however, the oem BUDS the dealer has from Can Am will accept updatesthat can be dowloaded into the vehicle during service. This is one portion of the dealer BUDS package. The aftermarket BUDS does not have this capability to load Can Am updates since the aftermarket BUDS is not tied to Can Am.

If the dealer has the oem BUDS and purchases an aftermarket license, then full capability including updates should be possible.

They are actually the same program. Its just a matter of what licences are purchased and what access you have to BOSSweb.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default This will be the 2nd module for my 2015 RT

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The 2014 and some 2015 had issues. The fix was replacement of the DESS module and in many cases the switch since it is also the antenna / energizer for the key.

The 2016 and 2017 series do not seem to have the DESS issues. The full upgrade for a 14 or 15 is the full set of latest generation parts.

Disabling is valid if easily accessable. If noone nearby can do it, then a quality dealer repair works also.

As for any guarantees that DESS will never reappear, I myself stuck it in the catagory of failed fuel pump, starter or other electronic feature that can stop these machines dead.
    Well, my dealer is very knowledgeable and well known, so maybe since this is the 2nd time for this they will replace the module and the silly switch. I guess if they do the switch too then I'll need a new trunk lock too then???? Trailer cylinder????? Oh boy! I'd like to take it down this week but now rain is in the forecast and I hate to pull it on my utility trailer in the rain. Always something!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The key switch comes new lock cylinders for the trunk and trailer. And they need to reprogram for the new key switch. Have them do it all under warranty

Spyder Garage

Default how long does it tak to do an install?

Just talked to my dealer and was told the earliest appointment opening would not be until July 18th! Today is June 30th! WOW!

How long does it take to do a replacement on the DESS MODULE and let's say the ignition switch and trunk lock and reprogramming the keys?

Think I might even while they have it in there replace the antenna with the stubby I bought at Spyderfest.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Just talked to my dealer and was told the earliest appointment opening would not be until July 18th! Today is June 30th! WOW!

How long does it take to do a replacement on the DESS MODULE and let's say the ignition switch and trunk lock and reprogramming the keys?

Think I might even while they have it in there replace the antenna with the stubby I bought at Spyderfest.

Thanks!
    I had the 2nd DESS Module replaced (on Aug. 28, 2015) they replaced the Dess module, ( part # 710004190) , Switch, ( part # 710004413) and reprogramed both keys, gave me a new trailer lock, and replaced the trunk lock, recut the keys to fit the switch. Took my dealership about 1 hour the above work.

Also, it was under warranty.

The mileage at the time the work was done was: 8,740.

Since I have had the above work done, I have not had the DESS ERROR/ no any problems. My current mileage is 18,313. I have a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Deanna

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I had the 2nd DESS Module replaced (on Aug. 28, 2015) they replaced the Dess module, ( part # 710004190) , Switch, ( part # 710004413) and reprogramed both keys, gave me a new trailer lock, and replaced the trunk lock, recut the keys to fit the switch. Took my dealership about 1 hour the above work.

Also, it was under warranty.

The mileage at the time the work was done was: 8,740.

Since I have had the above work done, I have not had the DESS ERROR/ no any problems. My current mileage is 18,313. I have a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac. Deanna
    Thanks Deanna- I'll see about getting that appointment made even if I have to wait until July 18th to do so I guess. Just hope this gets taken care of correctly, this time around. It is still under warranty so that is good, the first one was even approved by BRP and they started a file for me. This time it will have to be the dealer dealing with BRP I guess. Such an inconvenience but don't care to get stranded anywhere either. Thanks again for all your help!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    dess module is pretty quick..Key switch much more involved and will take a lot longer. The key switch along is over 230 bucks and the dess module another 130..not including labor..

Spyder Garage

Default Here we go again!

Well, after nearly two years of carefree operation, I once again was hit with the 'DESS' error! Had my 2014 RTS trailered to my nearest dealer, and they have replaced the module, for the third time (2 previous times were in 2015). I haven't picked up the Spyder yet but the dealer told me they have installed the 'latest' module as instructed by BRP. Maybe three is the charm! I sure hope so. I love my Spyder, but I am becoming very concerned about riding anywhere far away from home, for fear of being left setting. By the way, my BEST warranty expires tomorrow (07/23), so this happened just in time. Now one question I would have is: If in the future I have the DESS error again, out of warranty, would my repair be covered by BRP since it has been an ongoing issue?

By the way, 'Hello' to my friends on Spyderlovers! I've not been on for quite awhile!!

LEEB

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

Default Just had my 2nd DESS done this week!

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post
    Well, after nearly two years of carefree operation, I once again was hit with the 'DESS' error! Had my 2014 RTS trailered to my nearest dealer, and they have replaced the module, for the third time (2 previous times were in 2015). I haven't picked up the Spyder yet but the dealer told me they have installed the 'latest' module as instructed by BRP. Maybe three is the charm! I sure hope so. I love my Spyder, but I am becoming very concerned about riding anywhere far away from home, for fear of being left setting. By the way, my BEST warranty expires tomorrow (07/23), so this happened just in time. Now one question I would have is: If in the future I have the DESS error again, out of warranty, would my repair be covered by BRP since it has been an ongoing issue?

By the way, 'Hello' to my friends on Spyderlovers! I've not been on for quite awhile!!

LEEB

I just had my 2nd DESS module installed on the 18th of July. My dealer said that they too installed the latest and "Greatest" DESS MODULE that BRP said to use. Since I am 3 hours away from my dealer they also chose to give me a new key, had it cut and reprogrammed. They told me it was going over and beyond what they should have done but due to my distance that is what they chose to do. They told me at the time, that the BUDS had reported a key failure to be read or recognized by the DESS Module. So they believe that one of my keys was defective probably from the day I bought the 2015 RT. They also told me that the 2015 RT model is notorious for DESS Module issues. (Dealer stated) In fact they had already replaced 3 of them before I had gotten there with mine.

Like I said this is the 2nd time on this bike and this bike only has 1500 miles on it. They told me it is NOT because I have the bike on a Tender all the time nor is it due to the silicone key holder I have on my BRP KEY. So hope and pray they are right on cause I sure don't want to get "STUCK" and I can't get to TEXAS to deactivate the system, which according to my dealer would VOID the warranty.

Thankfully I am in month 18 out of my 24 month original warranty- then got an extended warranty coming into affect AFTER the original warranty expires. Glad they covered it all though.

One more item- they told me that if it does happen again then we will go to replacing the Ignition switch, trunk lock and trailer lock. They said that would be the last resort as it is expensive and they'd have to have the bike for a longer period of time as it is is quite labor intensive to replace those items.

That is my experience so far! Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Elembytes; 07-22-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2014 RTS

I too had 4 DESS failures and each time had the latest and greatest module...The last time they replaced the module the also did the keys and Ign. swithch...So far so good...But time will tell...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default DESS AND NO WARRANTY

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post

LEEB
    #1. there are ( two ? ) members here who can dis-able the DESS module ....#2. if you can't go that route think about doing what I did .... I moved the MODULE from behind the FRUNK and bolted it under the right side headlight...... NO wires needed to be cut , the harness is long enough to go under the headlight ..... But you MUST remove the FRUNK to get to it .... once you move the Module .... you can actually connect a new module , without tools , in the dark and with your eyes closed ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-23-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

I hope it works out for you!!!
    But as I stated in an early post back when the DESS became an issue on the 2014 the ONLY WAY to ENSURE a fix is to have BOTH replaced.
    In the end it it costing EVERYONE more time and $$$ by BRP doing a half assed fix.
    They DO NOT know nor have they isolated the problem.

Good Luck!

AJ

I just had my 2nd DESS module installed on the 18th of July. My dealer said that they too installed the latest and "Greatest" DESS MODULE that BRP said to use. Since I am 3 hours away from my dealer they also chose to give me a new key, had it cut and reprogrammed. They told me it was going over and beyond what they should have done but due to my distance that is what they chose to do. They told me at the time, that the BUDS had reported a key failure to be read or recognized by the DESS Module. So they believe that one of my keys was defective probably from the day I bought the 2015 RT. They also told me that the 2015 RT model is notorious for DESS Module issues. (Dealer stated) In fact they had already replaced 3 of them before I had gotten there with mine.

Like I said this is the 2nd time on this bike and this bike only has 1500 miles on it. They told me it is NOT because I have the bike on a Tender all the time nor is it due to the silicone key holder I have on my BRP KEY. So hope and pray they are right on cause I sure don't want to get "STUCK" and I can't get to TEXAS to deactivate the system, which according to my dealer would VOID the warranty.

Thankfully I am in month 18 out of my 24 month original warranty- then got an extended warranty coming into affect AFTER the original warranty expires. Glad they covered it all though.

One more item- they told me that if it does happen again then we will go to replacing the Ignition switch, trunk lock and trailer lock. They said that would be the last resort as it is expensive and they'd have to have the bike for a longer period of time as it is is quite labor intensive to replace those items.

That is my experience so far! Good luck to you!

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I too had 4 DESS failures and each time had the latest and greatest module...The last time they replaced the module the also did the keys and Ign. swithch...So far so good...But time will tell...larryd
    Good luck, The latest dess module part # is 710004916. Keep us posted. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Default I hope so to and agree-Paladin.....

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I hope it works out for you!!!
    But as I stated in an early post back when the DESS became an issue on the 2014 the ONLY WAY to ENSURE a fix is to have BOTH replaced.
    In the end it it costing EVERYONE more time and $$$ by BRP doing a half assed fix.
    They DO NOT know nor have they isolated the problem.

Good Luck!

AJ

I hope it works too and agree with you wholeheartedly that it is costing people time and $$$ to do this in "Steps" instead of just finding a fix and telling dealers what has to be done. It shouldn't be this difficult but apparently it is. I mean warranty work is what it is and I understand why a dealer or BRP only wants to do things in steps but when a customer has to travel 3 hours etc., to get work done seems to me then that it all should be done and allow the customer to get on with life. This piece mealing it is really sad. By now BRP should have figured out what is causing this and either build a better less sensitive unit or something. Surely there are other things in this world that uses, DESS in their products. You don't hear them having issues. It's only Spyders. My unit only has 1500 miles on it and has now had 2 DESS modules put in and the first one they replaced was the "NEWER" module with the better part number but it too has failed and they claim it was a bad key chip. So we will see. Thanks for your comments too. Greatly appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Default DESS ISSUES

I hope it works too and agree with you wholeheartedly that it is costing people time and $$$ to do this in "Steps" instead of just finding a fix and telling dealers what has to be done. It shouldn't be this difficult but apparently it is. I mean warranty work is what it is and I understand why a dealer or BRP only wants to do things in steps but when a customer has to travel 3 hours etc., to get work done seems to me then that it all should be done and allow the customer to get on with life. This piece mealing it is really sad. By now BRP should have figured out what is causing this and either build a better less sensitive unit or something. Surely there are other things in this world that uses, DESS in their products. You don't hear them having issues. It's only Spyders. My unit only has 1500 miles on it and has now had 2 DESS modules put in and the first one they replaced was the "NEWER" module with the better part number but it too has failed and they claim it was a bad key chip. So we will see. Thanks for your comments too. Greatly appreciated!
    This is the real kicker .... BRP had a DESS Module in all the other Spyders that worked 99.99% of the time ( pre 13 )........so in 2014 some engineer at BRP decided that since there was NO problem, It must be fixed .... well now we have DESS problems up the Wazoo and BRP hasn't figured out why !!!!!! ...... Sometimes it's better to leave things that work alone ....... jmho .... Mike