Spyder Garage

Default GPS Garmin Zumo 660LM Update Questions

I haven't tried to use my Zumo 660LM for almost 3 years. Put it on my Spyder last week and discovered the battery needed charged and it needs updated maps. I have some questions and hope someone can answer all of them.

Do I need to pay for these downloaded maps from Garmin?

Does the Zumo 660LM have a MicroSD Card? If so will I need to replace it or increase the GB capacity for the new maps?

I need to download Garmin/Express and follow there guidelines correct?

The battery display is fully charged at 4 green bars correct?

Please wish me luck as I haven't completely arrived in the 21st century when it comes to all the device technology.

Cheers!
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

LM means Lifetime Maps. (no cost) It will take a microSD card but I don't think you need it unless it says you need more memory. (they don't come with the microSD card) Download Garmin Express and all will become clear.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 06-16-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

It can take quite a while. Up to five hours sometimes.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Once Garmin Express reads your unit & verifies the sidereal number as LM the rest will just following instructions to update the maps. Either by card or direct USB Easy & recommend you set a reminder to keep updates regular, twice a year minimal depending on your travels. Also little know fact about the updates it helps the unit communicate with the satellites not just the maps but all the other unseen info that helps it work.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm not a techie

Make sure you check your PC's POWER settings for when the PC turns off. If the download is going to take awhile, change your POWER OFF settings for about 3 hours.

Spyder Garage

a word of advice. If you plan on using Garmin BaseCamp for route planning, when you download the map, click the advanced button and choose "download map to device AND computer". This way your computer will have the latest map that matches the one on your device. You will not need to plug in device when planning routes except to upload routes.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Since you have a 2014. You should have a 660LM. The LM stands for Lifetime Maps. It will say for sure under the battery. Since you have not updated your GPS since it went into service. Going into service is defined by the first time it is turned on, acquires a satellite lock and travels some distance. If the map has not been updated in 2 years. Garmins' policy is that the Lifetime has expired. But in practise Garmin express may or may not let you update the map. The only way to find out is to try. The other updates will install no matter how old it is.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've got you covered... Just be prepared for a lengthy time on the computer...
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the great feedback responses. I'm still not clear about some of the things I need to do before the Garmin downloads.

Should I purchase the MicroSD Card in advance prior to attempting any Garmin downloads? If so what GB storage capacity should I ask for?

If my Garmin GPS doesn't use a MicroSD Card. What is the GB capacity for direct downloads to the device?

Very good information on downloading BaseCamp. I won't be doing any trip planning, but very good information to know if you do.

Anybody know how long the Garmin GPS will run with a fully charged battery?

Cheers!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback responses. I'm still not clear about some of the things I need to do before the Garmin downloads.

Should I purchase the MicroSD Card in advance prior to attempting any Garmin downloads? If so what GB storage capacity should I ask for?

If my Garmin GPS doesn't use a MicroSD Card. What is the GB capacity for direct downloads to the device?

Very good information on downloading BaseCamp. I won't be doing any trip planning, but very good information to know if you do.

Cheers!
    No problem we like to help hope this helps you enjoy miles of smiles.
    Per the card if you are going to save a lot of favorite locations, then yes an expanded memory will help fyi I have a 16GB micro SD working just fine in mine. (Older ones are lower)You will have to remove the battery to access the slot. (Inserts toward middle) the 660 has a slot LM or not. The capacity of the internal memory should be 4GB. How long it last Depends a lot on your setting of screen brightness & how long you leave it on. May require checking location occasionally & not full turn by turn directions, should easily hold for a day maybe 1/2 if on whole time Never really tested that mine mounts & has constant power when I use it off spyder, I have charge cord & back up power, it does not like operating with the battery door open

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    No problem we like to help hope this helps you enjoy miles of smiles.
    Per the card if you are going to save a lot of favorite locations, then yes an expanded memory will help fyi I have a 16GB micro SD working just fine in mine. (Older ones are lower)You will have to remove the battery to access the slot. (Inserts toward middle) the 660 has a slot LM or not. The capacity of the internal memory should be 4GB. How long it last Depends a lot on your setting of screen brightness & how long you leave it on. May require checking location occasionally & not full turn by turn directions, should easily hold for a day maybe 1/2 if on whole time Never really tested that mine mounts & has constant power when I use it off spyder, I have charge cord & back up power, it does not like operating with the battery door open
    Ok thanks, I was worried about battery life during long period of map downloads from Garmin. I'll probably pick up a Micro SD Card, just in case Garmin/Express tells me to install it.
    Cheers!

Spyder Garage

A1A, when you plug in your gps through the USB plug, your computer is going to charge your gps. Keep it plugged in. Obviously you have to for the updates.

PS. A lot of folks out there are running with a gps that has never been updated. A lot of people don't know that it can be done for that matter. We had a few discussions about this at the homecoming. Some leaders had old stuff for sure!!!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Wow, I appreciate all the input, feedback & help from everyone. I really feel quite chuffed to complete the Garmin Map downloads today. Because of your help everything went very smooth and as you described. But I was still sweating bullets during the whole procedure.
    Looks like I have 126.58 MB of free space left. So next time it looks like I'll need to add the Micro SD Card.

Cheers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Register your gps with Garmin - that should answer many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    Why are you asking this? Battery life should not be an issue since when it is mounted on the bike and the bike is running, the gps is being powered (and internal battery recharged) by the bike's battery. When you shut the bike off, the gps will ask if you want to continue on battery power or not? If you don't respond, it shuts itself down as a fail-safe for battery. If you're going to be stopped for any length of time (i.e. over an hour) and you're away from the bike, you probably want to disconnect the gps is store it somewhere safe.

Does that answer your question about battery life?

As to the other questions, follow the instructions in the quick-start manual for the gps. This will include instructions for registering your gps with Garmin and setting up an account where you can update maps, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Why are you asking this? Battery life should not be an issue since when it is mounted on the bike and the bike is running, the gps is being powered (and internal battery recharged) by the bike's battery. When you shut the bike off, the gps will ask if you want to continue on battery power or not? If you don't respond, it shuts itself down as a fail-safe for battery. If you're going to be stopped for any length of time (i.e. over an hour) and you're away from the bike, you probably want to disconnect the gps is store it somewhere safe.

Does that answer your question about battery life?

As to the other questions, follow the instructions in the quick-start manual for the gps. This will include instructions for registering your gps with Garmin and setting up an account where you can update maps, etc.
    Thanks for your response UtahPete,
    I was originally thinking you had to remove the battery from the unit to access that Mini connector for map downloads.
    Cheers!