Spyder Garage

Default Spark plugs on a V Twin

I did it. OK it took me nearly a week but I got that D*** air cleaner off so I could get to the front Spark plug. What an engineering boondoggle that is
    There are not enough emojis to express how I feel about the design for this frequent maintenance item. I put in Bajaron's plugs and wires. Very high quality products and I should not have to get in there again any time soon. JT's new air cleaner kit for the older RT's is almost too pretty to be covered up by all that plastic and his service is also top notch. Yes I went and put the replacement air cleaner in. I decided after thinking about it I just was not going to go thru all that in reverse and then maybe have to take everything apart again sometime for something else. The space available with the old air box removed in incredible. The ease of access is amazing.

Now a word of caution to those of you looking to YouTube videos for help. They are very good, some are really top notch, and will give you ideas you wont get from the service manual. Watch them all before you do this,watch them a lot,watch them as you work. However, the best ones aren't done on an RT Limited and they aren't done on US models. That does make a difference. Nothing on my RT came apart as easily as they did in the videos. I will say the more I watched them the more I saw and the easier it was to work around the differences,but there was still a level of frustration there with the differences and my inability to compensate for them.

So go for it.. Change those plugs yourself. You come to a much better understanding of your RT. As Spyder Stuff says at the end of one of his videos," Go on, do it,you know you want to".

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

How was the sound of the engine after installing JT's air box?
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

I am doing other maintenance work as well so have not ridden it yet. However that is something I was concerned about. I bought the extra wrap around piece that he sells for that very reason. When I started it up to see if everything worked ok it didn't sound any louder at idle or with a light rev. When I am finished with the other projects, I will give it a good test and report back.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    How was the sound of the engine after installing JT's air box?
    So I was asked about the noise level with JT's airbox replacement system. I was concerned that the intake roar would be too much without the factory air box. But that box is such an abomination when trying to work on the I finally had to get rid of it. JT's replacement box is so good looking it's a shame to hide it under all that body work. When at cruising speed the sound is a quiet as the stock. The only time I can really tell that it is there is if I punch it really hard it will howel pretty loud for a brief moment but otherwise it is just fine to ride with. I did an 8 hour ride Saturday and the noise level was not high enough to cause any fatigue. So,if you don't want to deal with a pre 2014 airbox on an RT get JT's replacement with the extra muffler ring on it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

thanks,