Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying first Spyder (used)

Good day for you all spyder lovers!

I am having a spyder crush of my life at the moment!

I can tell you that, i have been riding sporty two wheelers all my life and now i eager to get new experiences.

Spyder i am looking is 08' RS manual model with 33k km (20,5k in mileage) on it. It should have complete service history, new set of tires and TomTom navigator. Price is ~9k€ (about 10k on dollars)

What do you think, is this a good deal?

I am going for a testride in next week.

With greetings from Finland
    -Leksi

Spyder Garage

I can't speak to the price,I have no idea of the value of things in Finland. I bought my first Spyder used also and have been very happy with it. Where you have the service history and it looks good to you, I would say go ahead,you will love the machine. Just remember it is not a two wheeler and it will not act like one. I also came from many years on 2 wheels(tho not sport bikes) and there is a transition time. It will take a while to be comfortable with the change. Just remember it doesn't lean, you do.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 GS (purchased new), SM5 (which is manual); all maintenance done at dealer, around 35,000 miles on it, and if I were to sell I'd expect $6,000, at least. I'm saying $10,000 is high, even with its lower mileage than mine. Of course I have no idea what that spyder you are looking at went for when it was new. So, my opinion is a U.S. opinion only.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, and happy shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Woah! Happy to see that this really is active forum

Here is link for the spyder i am looking at: https://m.nettimoto.com/can-am/spyde...unt=1&vifNav=Y link is 100% safe.

Spyders in Finland are priced from 9k€ to 25k€.

As far as i know, all the maintance are done on time and on official can am dealer. I Will get confirmation to this when i get to see it.

Glad i am experienced with snowmobiles and atv's, so i am familiar with the controls.

-Leksi

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I have a 2008 SE5. The Sypder is beautiful you are considering. The year is very reliable. The price is high if it was in the US.
    Good luck!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 2008 SE5. The Sypder is beautiful you are considering. The year is very reliable. The price is high if it was in the US.
    Good luck!!
    Glad to hear that the year is good!

What comes to the prices, you can thank our goverment for ridiculous taxing of motor powered vehicles. What can you do

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had one. Still miss it. Bought a Finland made deer rifle in the 1970's. Sako Finbear Deluxe. Love it, you guys know quality! Congrats on the new rude!

Spyder Garage

You should be able to get the 08 SM5 for a rock bottom price--since that is one of the earliest that were made and offered to the public. I cannot tell you if the 10 is a good price because I do not know the Finnish money values or values on used vehicles. You will have to determine that. The engine and the model are discontinued and no longer being made. A tough decision, but it sounds like you are doing due diligence in making your purchase. Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You should be able to get the 08 SM5 for a rock bottom price--since that is one of the earliest that were made and offered to the public. I cannot tell you if the 10 is a good price because I do not know the Finnish money values or values on used vehicles. You will have to determine that. The engine and the model are discontinued and no longer being made. A tough decision, but it sounds like you are doing due diligence in making your purchase. Let us know what you decide.

10 money is actually one of the lowest price in Finland. If you look ie 09'/10' models. They start at 17k€, used ones... It is just ridiculous. And If i think about shipping one overseas from states, i have to pay taxes of it. So there is zero win.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine is an 08

I have a 2008 SE5 GS, it had 6K on it when I got it in 2011 it now has 17K
    I have never had any issues with it, just gas oil and tires. If I were to sell it
    I would price it at around $8K, less if I stripped off all the added on things.
    I see no reason to sell it because of the trouble free miles left in it.
    If this was my only ride it would have many more miles than it has,
    In California, I do not ever use it for any commute riding because you can not split lanes with it
    it is to wide for that. I enjoy it and have recommended others to look into them.
    IMG_3753.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have a 2008 SE5 GS, it had 6K on it when I got it in 2011 it now has 17K
    I have never had any issues with it, just gas oil and tires. If I were to sell it
    I would price it at around $8K, less if I stripped off all the added on things.
    I see no reason to sell it because of the trouble free miles left in it.
    If this was my only ride it would have many more miles than it has,
    In California, I do not ever use it for any commute riding because you can not split lanes with it
    it is to wide for that. I enjoy it and have recommended others to look into them.
    What comes to lane splitting, it is illegal in finland. (YAYYY! Lets ruin all the fun, said finnish goverment)

I really am willing to buy this beauty, hope i do enjoy the testride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please make sure to let us know how your test ride goes; good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Fun machine

I have a 2008 GS sm5 . I see the one you are looking at appears to have a Hindle pipe that's been painted , some other changes from original as well . If it has been well maintained and updates done it will be a great bike for you to get into the Spyder world . Lots of info on this site to help before and after you decide to take the plunge ... good luck and enjoy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    I have a 2008 GS sm5 . I see the one you are looking at appears to have a Hindle pipe that's been painted , some other changes from original as well . If it has been well maintained and updates done it will be a great bike for you to get into the Spyder world . Lots of info on this site to help before and after you decide to take the plunge ... good luck and enjoy

Holy cow! There really is a hindle pipe, did not see that one. I was planning to change the stock pipe after purchase, but now there is no need for that!
    Huge thank you for noticing that!

I will write down about my experience after the test run.

-Leksi
    Last edited by Leksi; 06-17-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first spyder was 'used' too, and it did well. It was an 09 Rs and is still going strong with its new owner.

The only suggestion I can offer is to get a Buds history report from the servicing dealer - this will show up any issues.

Also check that any Recalls have been done - I think there was a DPS (or similar) recall on the early models.

We knew almost nothing about them, took the plunge, and never looked back!

Have fun and good luck.

Spyder Garage

Hei Leksi,

Had a look at the pictures and I'd say that looks like a well loved Spyder that someone has spent money improving.

As others have said the original GS/RS's are very reliable machines are there are plenty of ones around with far higher km's than that.

I worked in Finland back in the 90's and remember vehicles were very expensive back then. it's hard to judge the price but that would be the same or possibly cheaper than it would be here in New Zealand so sounds like a good deal.

Be aware when you test ride that it's obviously very different from a motorbike to ride and can take a bit of getting used to. However I'm guessing you have experience of snowmobiles which will help.

Kiitos,

Jos
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 06-17-2017 at 05:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

You are getting a classic and original GS. Good info above and just add a quick check of the Vin# with the dealer to make sure all updates etc have been done. I have a 2012 RS and the last of the 106 HP models. It has been solid and love it. You can no longer get this style and you will never get the ryde it gives with the new models available. The price seems fair for your area and I would go for it. The test ryde will be the closer and I know you will love it after a few miles and will be wanting to push the limits of these machines...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Smile Good for you!

My first was a 2008GS SE5 and I enjoyed every mile on it. It was very reliable, no problems of any kind. I traded it for a new 2015 ST just because of the seating ergonomics the crouched position of the GS put too much weight on my hands for long distance riding. I much prefer the "snappier throttle response of the GS over the more sedate ST. You've made a good pick! Happy riding!

Spyder Garage

Default Doesn't matter where you live

Quote Originally Posted by Leksi View Post
    Glad to hear that the year is good!

What comes to the prices, you can thank our goverment for ridiculous taxing of motor powered vehicles. What can you do
    The government will still figure out a way to stick you....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Today is the testdrive day!

Do you guys have something on mind i should check up?

Things that come on my mind:
    - Maintancebooklet
    - Tires
    - Belt
    - All controls for lights etc.
    - Testdrive (ofcourse)

I hope that i wont be dissapointed with the spyder!

Spyder Garage

- Maintancebooklet
    - Tires
    - Belt
    - Testdrive (ofcourse)

• Tires - If you see uneven wear on the front tires then this probably means the alignment is out - not a biggy but something to get them to sort.
    • Check the adjusters for the front suspension. It's not uncommon for these to be damaged if someone has tried adjusting them without lifting the Spyder first.
    • The struts for the rear mudguard (fender) often crack on these older models so check those.

If you move the Spyder backwards it's likely that:

• The rear brake will squeak
    • The belt will move around

Both of these are normal on that model and can be ignored:-)

Spyder Garage

- Maintancebooklet
    - Tires
    - Belt
    - Testdrive (ofcourse)

Yes on all counts. However, I can advise you look a the tires for even wear; the belt should be in excellent condition and not too loose; the handling should be comfortable and easy, but on first test drive just know that it will feel "different". Don't worry too much about the twitches as you will get used to the the unique feel of the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

One more thing I remembered for this model. Heat on your right foot is normal, particularly in city riding. If excessive and/or higher up (e.g. bodywork under right thigh) then exhaust joint could be leaking.

Spyder Garage

All i can say, is wow!

I was sold after 15m of driving. It was more fun than imagined! Sounds from the hindle were pure power!

Maintancebooklet was perfect, all oil changes were done just in time, dps callback done, rods adjusted again, belt was like a new aswell with tires! All done in official retailer.

Everything was perfect.

My girl fell in love with it aswell, so it is pure win!

Spyder will be mine tomorrow, cant sleep tonight.

I will post pics of it when this beauty is at home
    Attached Images Attached Images