Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

when i used to have my house up state NY, and would bring my pistol up with me, i went to the local police and state trooper stations to see if i could get a license for that area. my city license was amended to carry a pistol when hunting, but that was it. and when i left the house i didn't like the idea to live the gun in the house. both the local and state police told me to not bring the gun up with me. typical cop answer. but also told me that being it was a city permit i would most likely be ok if i followed all the laws, and if a cop pulled me over for any reason, to tell them first thing that i had a gun on me. so i did the best thing, i kept the magazine out of the gun, and the gun on my side unloaded, with a outside shirt covering it. one night i was in the oneonta diner on the salad line, and i get tapped on the shoulder by the largest state trooper i ever seen. a really nice guy, but big. he very nicely asked, do you have a permit, and may i see it. i said sure and told him i had to take it out of my rear pocket next to the gun. he said no problem. i got the permit, he looked and gave it back to me. then he asked, why is the gun unloaded. after i explained what i tried to get and do, and what i was told, and that i thought this was the best way to carry it. he said, nope, you need to protect it. i told him i had no bullets with me, so he said cover it and make sure it is loaded from now on. so from there on in, i figured every time i went to town, i locked the gun in it's locked box that i had for the city, then i stuffed the box under the front seat in my car, and i only parked my car in a spot where i could see the car when i got out of it. so like i said before in another post, the are a pain in the neck if you can't carry them, and could be nothing but trouble if you do carry them
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And criminals don't seem to be burdened by it as much as we are anyway!
    I think criminals don't care about paperwork (legal or otherwise) at all. It's only the guy trying to stay legal and who has something to lose that is concerned.

Spyder Garage

Aside from work, my .45 is cocked and locked on my hip at all times. But then again I live in the 2nd most free state in the nation.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trooper said to me one time that the best way to inform an officer that you are carrying a concealed or other wise not visible weapon is to hand him your permit right away with your drivers license and registration. Sounded good to me although this was a couple of years back.
    Good Morning America first referred to his long gun in their article as an assault weapon, further into the article it was a assault style rifle. Have to get my dictionary out ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is definitely best to let me know...
    Here in NYS: they're now giving the Pistol Permit holders information to the DMV...
    If they run your plate: they'll know if you've got a license for a handgun.
    Personally: I don't mind that!
    It helps to keep the LEOs safe!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does having a license for a firearm make it legal to do something illegal?
    I'm not familiar with Virginia firearms laws; I can't comment on any of the specific legal questions...
    Can anybody in here clarify the status of an out-of-State visitor with a handgun and a long gun?
    It's probably based upon the state in which you live. Florida has a reciprocity agreement with both Virgina and West Virginia. Dale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reciprocity agreements can be awfully confusing...
    Except for New York's!
    They don't play well with anybody!!

(there are none... )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our local department was working on flagging your address if you had a gun permit. Dispatched vehicle would be informed prior. Don't know how it ended up.

God bless our L.E.O. 's. Wouldn't want their job for triple the money !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agreed!
    I don't mind if the LEOs have that information: I definitely don't want it printed in the newspapers...
    Like they did about 8 years ago!
    A bunch of anti-gunners sued to get the pistol permits records, and they tried putting it out in the press!
    What a nightmare!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The shooter made it political.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Except for New York's!

Here is a site that helps make it a little easier.
    Click on your state.
    https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    The shooter made it political.
    But we don't need to go there with the conversation: do we?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Except for New York's!

Here is a site that helps make it a little easier.
    Click on your state.
    https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html
    Now my head REALLY hurts!
    But thanks for posting it! It sure does "Map" it out for everyone!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Aside from work, my .45 is cocked and locked on my hip at all times. But then again I live in the 2nd most free state in the nation.
    Also, one of the least densely populated. What are you so afraid of up there you feel the need to carry all the time? What happened to 'home of the brave'?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You are correct, this should not be a political problem, it is an egregious event that should never happen to anyone.
    Wonder where stuff like this comes from?
    Here are just a few examples of what has happened lately by people who have a national spotlight.
    1. Kathy Griffin ‘Beheads’ Trump in Graphic Photo
    2. Madonna – “I’ve thought a lot about blowing up the White House.”
    3. Snoop Dogg “Shoots” Trump in the Head in Music Video
    4. Robert De Niro: “I’d Like to Punch Him in the Face”
    5. Joss Whedon: “I Want a Rhino to F*ck Paul Ryan to Death”
    6. Shakespeare in the Park Stabs ‘Trump’ to Death in Performance of ‘Julius Caesar
    10. Rapper YG Threatens Trump with “F*ck Donald Trump” Song
    11. Marilyn Manson Kills ‘Trump’ in Music Video

I don't care who it is, republican or democrat, this stuff should not be allowed! There are always a few wackos out there who idealize some of these people enough that they will try to impress them by doing what they portray. Think back just a few short years to when Hinckley tried to kill Reagan to impress Jody Foster.
    I believe in freedom of speech but there is some common sense that is required when you speak, are you going to incite danger to someone else by why you say? That is why you don't yell fire in a crowded theater!

Libs already cheer when they incite riots. So I'm sure they all quietly hope the congressmen dies.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Also, one of the least densely populated. What are you so afraid of up there you feel the need to carry all the time? What happened to 'home of the brave'?
    Because rats will eat their own young; in overcrowded conditions...
    And it can be tough to tell the difference between them, and some of the folks that are stumbling around.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Libs already cheer when they incite riots. So I'm sure they all quietly hope the congressmen dies.
    You just denigrated 1/2 of your fellow countrymen with an extremely bigoted and uninformed comment; do you realize that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because rats will eat their own young; in overcrowded conditions...
    And it can be tough to tell the difference between them, and some of the folks that are stumbling around.
    That's a reason to open carry in South Dakota? Scary!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

And the Politicians will debate the merits of strengthening/loosening gun control laws in the D.C. area for almost as long as the News Coverage for this one event lasts...
    Let's face it: ALL of them are a bunch of idiots!

But I am glad to see that the carnage was not worse, and that the response of Law Enforcement was "swift, severe, and certain".

Ah....but it's so easy for them to strengthen gun control laws and be against the average American having the right to own/carry a gun as they, like all of the whiny, liberal, I'm-moving-to-Canada celebrities, live in their gated communities with their own paid for security force, travel in armored vehicles, private aircraft, have their own armed body guards while at home AND AT WORK, yet they want to deny the rest of us the right to protect ourselves and our families. And should we talk about the superior, technologically advanced, fully automatic, multi-clip weapons used by their security that the average person is not privy to or entitled to possess? When the powers that be and those better than thou celebrities give up their armed security, then I will give up my small arsenal of weapons. Until then, "out of my cold dead hands" will be the ONLY way I'll give up my my 2nd Amendment Rights.

download (1).jpg cc_freedom_eagle2_fb.jpg 1459203_10203891926391083_6534780556342306558_n.jpg sniper1.gif
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think you have a slight misunderstanding on why people carry.
    I do not carry everyday because I am scared of anything or afraid on anyone.
    I carry because there are other people and situations that can and do happen to very brave people each and every day, IE what just happened to our government employees, the knife attacks on the London Bridge, and to many other things to mention here.
    Most people who carry will not run from a situation where others lives are in danger, but to situations to help others putting their lives in danger in the process. If they were afraid that would not happen.
    I carry in hopes I will never have to pull and use my firearm, but also fully prepared to do so if I deem necessary.
    I carry so that if and when something happens I might be able to save other lives along with my own.
    If no one would have been carrying yesterday there would be a mass funeral today, not just the shooter dead and people injured.
    Because I carry I try to always aware of situations around me, I know where a separate exit from the one I came in is at, I look for areas where someone could be hiding, or areas that could be dangerous and avoid putting myself into those situations.
    My firearm is a tool that I hope I never have to use, but I carry it because I never know when I might forced into using it.
    I carry because I have the right to do so.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 06-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I carry because there are other people and situations that can and do happen to very brave people each and every day, IE what just happened to our government employees, the knife attacks on the London Bridge, and to many other things to mention here.
    Most people who carry will not run from a situation where others lives are in danger, but to situations to help others putting their lives in danger in the process. If they were afraid that would not happen.
    I carry in hopes I will never have to pull and use my firearm, but also fully prepared to do so if I deem necessary.
    I carry so that if and when something happens I might be able to save other lives along with my own.
    If no one would have been carrying yesterday there would be a mass funeral today, not just the shooter dead and people injured.
    Because I carry I try to always aware of situations around me, I know where a separate exit from the one I cam in is at, I look for areas where someone could be hiding, or areas that could be dangerous and avoid putting myself into those situations.
    My firearm is a tool that I hope I never have to use, but I carry it because I never know when I might forced into using it.

VERY WELL SAID.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because I carry I try to always aware of situations around me, I know where a separate exit from the one I cam in is at, I look for areas where someone could be hiding, or areas that could be dangerous and avoid putting myself into those situations.
    There's an old saying that if you're a hammer then every problem looks like a nail. I'm not questioning your right to open carry, just wondering why you think it's a good idea. Because I think those who carry are more likely to see violence with a gun as the 'best' solution to interpersonal conflict.

I don't own a gun, although I live in one of the most gun-happy parts of the country (Utah). If I ever had any delusions about violence solving problems or shooting people as a manly thing to do, I got over that pretty quick after being in a combat zone.

But that's me and I understand that others feel differently. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Strange statement that I have no agreement with.
    I agree with you, Saluda. That statement was in fact pretty stupid. And let the chips fall where they may.

Spyder Garage

i have a question being from new york city. lets say i am legal to carry. that gives me the right to protect myself. BUT DOES IT GIVE ME THE RIGHT TO PROTECT OTHERS IF I SEE A PROBLEM. i am legal to have my gun loaded in my house, and it is. so if someone breaks into my house and is armed, i am legal to shoot to protect myself. NOW, what does armed consist of. ok i can understand a knife, gun, or maybe a bat. lets say two people break in and have nothing, but i shoot, am i still legal. NOW MY NEXT STORE NEIGHBOR IRENE, is a 82 year old woman and lives alone. i have security cameras around my house, and one points at my front door and steps. i also see IRENE'S front door. lets say i see someone at her door and i hear her scream, god forbid. i dial 911 and report it. at that point i grab my gun and run out front and into her house and stop the person. AM I LEGAL DOING THAT. in the old days when i was a tough guy, i would of never thought of grabbing the gun. i would of stormed whoever broke into my house or her house, and attacked with my hands and fists. but i can't do that anymore, so now the gun is what i would use. how fast do you think it would be before i went to jail. anyone have any answers to this
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i have a question being from new york city. lets say i am legal to carry. that gives me the right to protect myself. BUT DOES IT GIVE ME THE RIGHT TO PROTECT OTHERS IF I SEE A PROBLEM. NOW MY NEXT STORE NEIGHBOR IRENE, is a 82 year old woman and lives alone. lets say i see someone at her door and i hear her scream, god forbid. i dial 911 and report it. at that point i grab my gun and run out front and into her house and stop the person. AM I LEGAL DOING THAT. how fast do you think it would be before i went to jail. anyone have any answers to this
    I think you'd have to shoot Irene, too, just so there's no witnesses. Then you can tell the story any way you want.

Yes, I'm kidding. Black humor I know.

Glad to hear you're feeling well enough to run to your neighbor's!
    2014 RTL Platinum