Spyder Garage

Default Just returned from renting a Harley TGri-Glide. So ??

I just got back from Rapid City - Renting a Harley Try-Glide for six days.
    I liked it, but....

The pro's: Steering is minimal. It wants to go straight. Very little adjustments are needed to go straight down a road. When taking a corner - There is no feeling of centrifugal force trying to throw you off - None. Almost one foot narrower. 4'.6'' Vs 5'.6''.
    The Con's. Shifting. Shifting. Shifting. The Heat thrown off by the engine - is a lot, and its hot. The suspension is not as good as the Spyder, but not too bad. And Service, though I did not need any - you know it available- everywhere.

Would I buy one ? Might consider, if the Shifting thing can be worked out, by a Co. called Rekluse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The centrifugal force you feel on any trike is strictly a function of the speed of the vehicle when executing a similar radius turn and nothing else. A conventional trike such as the Tri Glide is much more dangerous in a sudden turn because it will flip over much easier. Remember the earlier ATV's were all a conventional trike, one wheel in front, which resulted in a bunch of deadly accidents and the reason that that type of ATV was quickly discontinued. Here in the very twisty Smokey Mountains the accident rate with the conventional trike is quiet hi because a lot of the riders from the flatlands are not aware of how dangerous they are when taking a curve too fast. A reverse trike like the Spyder is by far the safest trike available.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

indian over harley while still keeping the

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    I liked it, but....

The pro's: Steering is minimal. It wants to go straight. Very little adjustments are needed to go straight down a road. When taking a corner - There is no feeling of centrifugal force trying to throw you off - None. Almost one foot narrower. 4'.6'' Vs 5'.6''.
    The Con's. Shifting. Shifting. Shifting. The Heat thrown off by the engine - is a lot, and its hot. The suspension is not as good as the Spyder, but not too bad. And Service, though I did not need any - you know it available- everywhere.

Would I buy one ? Might consider, if the Shifting thing can be worked out, by a Co. called Rekluse.
    I had a Tri-Glide I didn't like it!! The reverse would kick off and had problem with my pipes rubbing going over speed bumps and going in and out of parking lots that has dip coming off a main road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I liked it, but....

My buddy owns a 2016 Triglide which I have "borrowed" for a few miles. I also test rode a 2017 Harley FreeWheeler and both were flawless in tracking down the highway. Shifting was TERRIBLE and my buddy curses at times trying to get his Harley into gear...especially 1st gear. Both Harleys were VERY smooth compared to the Spyder. Harley utilizes rubber engine mounts AND the belt is much shorter. I chose the Spyder because of reliability issues experienced from a Harley previously owned. I'm 6' and found the Harley VERY cramped but not so on the Spyder...."U-Fit". My buddy also had a Harley built and installed kit added to his TriGlide that made steering even easier.....and it was $150.00 INSTALLED!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried out a Tri-Glide before I upgraded from a '12 RTS to a '14. I also didn't like the shifting (love the SE on the Spyder).

I'd challenge you to take it on a twisty road and ride the Tri-Glide and the Spyder back-to-back at the same speeds. I'll bet you'll notice a difference in handling and effort required to maneuver.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Before I purchased my 2010 RTS, new model that year, I did go to HD to test drive a Tri-Glide. My decision was I was going to purchase the one that won me over. I never made it past the test sit on the HD. The ergos were just not for me. The clutch pull was also very hard--even though it was not an issue for me at the time. Between the ergos, and the $4K premium (dealer markup over MSRP), I walked.

Ended up with a premier edition RTS and have been hooked on that model ever since. I have since, purchased a 2011 and a 2014. I have also test sat the F3, but regardless of U-Fit adjustment, I just don't like the ergos on that one. I DO like the looks.

Recently purchased a two year old (new) Vulcan 900 to have the "riding on two" feeling once in awhile. For now, two RT's and one Vulcan.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's your money, and it's your choice!
    Which one works best for you under normal riding conditions?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I liked it, but....

The pro's: Steering is minimal. It wants to go straight. Very little adjustments are needed to go straight down a road. When taking a corner - There is no feeling of centrifugal force trying to throw you off - None.
    It's like the difference between a '65 GTO and same year Jaguar XKE. One's made to go straight and the other made for thrilling, controlled, high-speed twisties. The GTO seemed like it was handling the curves to a certain point, then everything breaks loose in a hurry.

Harley for freeways. Spyder for back roads. Period.
    2014 RTL Platinum