Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT-DESS CODE situation---question

Hello!

I have a 2015 RT and I have had my DESS Module Replaced, and it's part number I shared under another thread here that "Deanna 777" had started about this issue. The DESS MODULE was supposed to have been of the "newer" variety and was supposed to solve the issue.

My Spyder only has 1500 miles on it thus far, so it doesn't get a lot of use for now until Retirement. Anyway-it's on a battery tender.

Lately when I got out and take it off the tender and put the key in and go to start it up, it gives me the DESS Error screen.

I shut off everything, remove the key, wait about a minute, put it back in and turn it on, wait for the pre-test then go to start it up and it runs fine. Take it out and ride and stop and start NO issues.

This happened again yesterday. Same scenario.

After a period of in-activity is it possible that the DESS Module and Key have lost their communication? IS that all this is?

Should I worry about this DESS Module again? If so it will be a 3 hour trip back to the dealership to deal with this again!

Thanks for your insights and thought!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The DESS system can be disabled; you just need to find someone with the right "Kung-Foo" to pull it off.
    The typical dealership probably won't do it for you... BRP would probably take a dim view of them disabling the anti-theft system on their bikes.
    Try contacting Joe and Ann Meyer: they might be able to do it for you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default D.E.S.S. ERROR CODE

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Hello!

I have a 2015 RT and I have had my DESS Module Replaced, and it's part number I shared under another thread here that "Deanna 777" had started about this issue. The DESS MODULE was supposed to have been of the "newer" variety and was supposed to solve the issue.

My Spyder only has 1500 miles on it thus far, so it doesn't get a lot of use for now until Retirement. Anyway-it's on a battery tender.

Lately when I got out and take it off the tender and put the key in and go to start it up, it gives me the DESS Error screen.

I shut off everything, remove the key, wait about a minute, put it back in and turn it on, wait for the pre-test then go to start it up and it runs fine. Take it out and ride and stop and start NO issues.

After a period of in-activity is it possible that the DESS Module and Key have lost their communication? IS that all this is?

Should I worry about this DESS Module again? If so it will be a 3 hour trip back to the dealership to deal with this again!

....Sorry but I'm not backtracking thru your posts to find what module you have ..... But I will advise , either you don't have the latest MODULE or the Module needed the additional ignition switch fix to make your issue go away ..... Not all the D.E.S.S. issues are the same ( un-fortunately ) .......... But if you are still getting the DESS error orange screen ..... it will eventually NOT START - PERIOD ...... it's a time bomb ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would use your spare key for awhile and see if it does it again.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Hello!

When you had the D.E.S.S module replaced, did you have the Switch replaced at the same time?

I had the D.E.S.S module replaced twice, ( first time on July 14, 2015 part # 710004190, Second time on Aug. 28th, 2015 part # 710004190,and the switch replaced part # 710004413, they also reprogrammed the keys) since then I have not had the D.E.S.S. ERROR show up, I have a 2014RTS-SE6 with 17,000 miles +. My manufactures warranty covered both of them.

The newer D.E.S.S. Module part # is 710004916.

Do you still have warranty on your spyder?

If you do I would get taken care of, before you get stranded. Be sure your can-am dealership has the parts. Also, like I have posted in my Thread D.E.S.S.KEYCODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does your other key do the same thing?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you still have warranty, get it fixed. It is not uncommon to replace the ignition switch assembly, the DESS module, install a new trunk lock and even a new trailer lock if needed, or you get the spare lock tumbler set.

Yes you can disable it, but that can be done outside of the warranty period.
    X2 Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Same issue here

5th time for me (should say my Spyder). In the shop currently - has the latest/greatest module. Service dept. is fully on my side on this, so I am not unhappy at all. No, BRP never had the key switch replaced, just the module (3 times). Out of warranty, but I've been told not to worry about it. I tend to take folks at their word.

A lot of rainy days here in the woods of E Texas, so good time to be in the shop. Heck, I have to maintain a positive attitude.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default havne't tried the other key yet

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    When you had the D.E.S.S module replaced, did you have the Switch replaced at the same time?

I had the D.E.S.S module replaced twice, ( first time on July 14, 2015 part # 710004190, Second time on Aug. 28th, 2015 part # 710004190,and the switch replaced part # 710004413, they also reprogrammed the keys) since then I have not had the D.E.S.S. ERROR show up, I have a 2014RTS-SE6 with 17,000 miles +. My manufactures warranty covered both of them.

The newer D.E.S.S. Module part # is 710004916.

Do you still have warranty on your spyder?

If you do I would get taken care of, before you get stranded. Be sure your can-am dealership has the parts. Also, like I have posted in my Thread D.E.S.S.KEYCODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does your other key do the same thing?

Deanna
    Hi Deanna:

Yes, my replacement module was that one you listed above in your post. NO I didn't have the switch replaced and have not tried the spare key.

My dealer in Springfield Mo, did the warranty work on it. They of all people, I would think, would know what to do to fix this issue.

Like I said, this ONLY happens after the bike has been sitting a while and on a battery tender. It only happens upon the first start up or the one right after that. It runs and works perfectly after that.

Sounds like I am going to have to make another trip down to Springfield!

Thank you!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default This will be the 2nd time for my 2015---oh boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    5th time for me (should say my Spyder). In the shop currently - has the latest/greatest module. Service dept. is fully on my side on this, so I am not unhappy at all. No, BRP never had the key switch replaced, just the module (3 times). Out of warranty, but I've been told not to worry about it. I tend to take folks at their word.

A lot of rainy days here in the woods of E Texas, so good time to be in the shop. Heck, I have to maintain a positive attitude.

Don

This will be our 2nd time on the 2015 RT---are we having fun yet? What a deal!

Don't know anyone near here that would disable mine and doubt my dealer will do it, maybe if I talked to my mechanic who knows.

Thanks! Good luck to you as well! At least mine is still under warranty!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JCThorne is in Texas... (If that's close enough for you.). He can disable the DESS also
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post

Don
    Don in E Texas, Do you have the B.E.S.T Warranty?

Is so it is covered under the B.E.S.T. Warranty. Check with your can-am dealership about your B.E.S.T Warranty.

Post your results. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Hi Deanna:

Yes, my replacement module was that one you listed above in your post. NO I didn't have the switch replaced and have not tried the spare key.

My dealer in Springfield Mo, did the warranty work on it. They of all people, I would think, would know what to do to fix this issue.

Like I said, this ONLY happens after the bike has been sitting a while and on a battery tender. It only happens upon the first start up or the one right after that. It runs and works perfectly after that.

Sounds like I am going to have to make another trip down to Springfield!

Thank you!

Hi, So your current dess module is part # 710004916. Have your dealership replace your dess module & your switch( part # 710004413).

Since I have had the my dess module( replaced twice 1st time was on July 14th, 2015, 2nd time was on Aug. 28th) and the dess module/ switch was replaced on Aug. 28th, 2015, I have not had the D.E.S.S Error/or problem. I has been 2 years since I have had both dess module/ switch replaced.

Have your switch changed, and try your spare key. Also, keep your can-am keys in a place away from other keys( car, truck, etc.).
    How long does your
    sit?

How long is your
    on your battery tender?
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Turn it off and be over it. Once and done. No more worries about a disabled bike when you are away from home.

Demons be gone.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Turn it off and be over it. Once and done. No more worries about a disabled bike when you are away from home.

Demons be gone.
    when I got the error, I could not start for two days. On the third day it started and I drove straight to the dealer.
    And yes, my 2014 RTS had sat for about 3-4 weeks.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Hi, So your current dess module is part # 710004916. Have your dealership replace your dess module & your switch( part # 710004413).

Since I have had the my dess module( replaced twice 1st time was on July 14th, 2015, 2nd time was on Aug. 28th) and the dess module/ switch was replaced on Aug. 28th, 2015, I have not had the D.E.S.S Error/or problem. I has been 2 years since I have had both dess module/ switch replaced.

Have your switch changed, and try your spare key. Also, keep your can-am keys in a place away from other keys( car, truck, etc.).
    How long does your
    sit?

How long is your
    on your battery tender?
    Deanna

I keep my Spyder on the tender all the time when we aren't riding. We will see what happens this time at the dealership. Texas is a far place to get to for us especially to disable the DESS. Thanks!