Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New Rear Tire: Michelin Premier A/S 205/60R15 91H

I have been trying several rear tires over the years on our RT. Yesterday, I installed a Michelin Premier A/S 205/60R15 91H on our RT as I have heard good reviews from our fellow Spyder Ryders here. So going to give it a try! Our RT has 38,745 miles on it.

Here's a brief recap of rear tires on our 2014 RTL:

New: OEM Kenda - should have changed it out at 6,000 miles, it basically was a slick tire when changed at 7,931 miles

7,931 miles: Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 (total miles: 14,000) good tire, was a little "slippery" when roads were wet, especially near end of its life

21,913 miles: General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 (total miles: 16,832) best tire so far, worked well, maybe could have got 2000-4000 more miles - changed out due to concern about hydroplaning when tread depth was getting low.

38,745 miles: Michelin Premier A/S 205/60R15 91H on (total miles: time will tell) friends had mention this has excellent "wet grip" for handling in the rain..

Here's a couple of pics:
    Pic 1: General Altimax taken off
    Pic 2: New Michelin showing tread design
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 06-30-2017 at 08:58 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I think the "replace" notification on the General is SWEET ! like we need to be told. I'm guessing when you can no longer read that, it's time to replace ?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax RT43 features...

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    I think the "replace" notification on the General is SWEET ! like we need to be told. I'm guessing when you can no longer read that, it's time to replace ?
    Yes, it's a nice feature telling the owner when it's time to replace the tire based on tread depth! Here's their current "features" listed on their website for the General Altimax RT43 - it was the "best" tire, so far, we had on our RT! I changed it now so that I can assure we have a great summer of riding (specifically in rain) with a new tire with good tread depth!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default new rear tire

7,913 miles: Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 (total miles: 14,000) good tire, was a little "slippery" when roads were wet, especially near end of its life

Jim, far from me to try and tell you how to run your tires; had two of these on my RS and felt the same way you did about them being a little slippery on wet roads.

ALL of this went away when lowered the air pressure from mid 20's down to 18 PSI. Feels a little squeamish until you get used to the feeling; however the traction improvement on wet roads improved by 100%.

These tires don't carry much weight to make the sipes work properly; they won't work well @ all @ greater than 20 PSI.

Just my opinion FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURES

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    7,913 miles: Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 (total miles: 14,000) good tire, was a little "slippery" when roads were wet, especially near end of its life

Jim, far from me to try and tell you how to run your tires; had two of these on my RS and felt the same way you did about them being a little slippery on wet roads.

ALL of this went away when lowered the air pressure from mid 20's down to 18 PSI. Feels a little squeamish until you get used to the feeling; however the traction improvement on wet roads improved by 100%.

These tires don't carry much weight to make the sipes work properly; they won't work well @ all @ greater than 20 PSI.

Just my opinion FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    No Al, it's not just your opinion ............ Peter Aaewen & myself have been trying to educate the Spyder community for years, concerning air pressure used in CAR tires vs. the Kenda........ To me it's a question of Safety .... the better the Traction you have on WET roads to less likely you are to activate the VSS which although it is a safety device can cause a major distraction at HIGH speeds ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

J&T,
    Thanks for the quick review, and I'm sure that we're all looking forward to seeing how this tire works out for you!
    Here's to lots of "Miles & Smiles" with it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    No Al, it's not just your opinion ............ Peter Aaewen & myself have been trying to educate the Spyder community for years, concerning air pressure used in CAR tires vs. the Kenda........ To me it's a question of Safety .... the better the Traction you have on WET roads to less likely you are to activate the VSS which although it is a safety device can cause a major distraction at HIGH speeds ....... Mike
    How does it feel or handle in the corners with the lower tire pressure? Does the side wall tend to roll a little or is the thicker sidewall of the care tire stiff enough?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default new rear tire Michelin Premier 205/60r15 91H

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    How does it feel or handle in the corners with the lower tire pressure? Does the side wall tend to roll a little or is the thicker sidewall of the care tire stiff enough?

When you first lower the pressure below 20 psi it feels "different" not squirley but there seems to be movement that you didn't feel @ higher pressures. Not sure if it's the thicker sidewalls or just the fact that there's not much more than 350-400 # on the rear tire even with my 240#'s in the saddle

When you come around a corner from a stop and get into the throttle it feels like it squats. Tire wears evenly, and the wet road traction is great, you have to work at it to break the rear end loose. Run 18=19 in the fronts and 16-18 in the rear.

Going from 22-25 in the rear to 16-18 is night and day difference on wet roads...Before I dropped pressures the rear end would frequently break loose @ expressway speeds on the straight while towing my trailer. Now none of that. Getting started from a dead stop pulling the trailer was almost impossible to not break the rear tire loose, now that seldom happens with the lower pressures. It takes a little time for you to adjust to the different feel but for the traction gain on wet roads the lower pressures can't be beat.

Just my opinion, I'm not an expert, just know the difference that I experience.

Al in Kazoo

PS Drop on by sometimes and lets get out and carve some twisties!!!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE ROLL

Hi, Mike here ..... if it was a Kenda ...it definitely would ...... But your Michelin won't !!!!! .... look at the sidewall in the very tiny print .... it will tell you the Max weight capacity that your tire can support .... I'll bet it's around 1500 lbs........ You Spyder has at most 650 lbs loaded with you and a passenger ......... so you are no where near overloading that tire ..... I went to school for this stuff and trust me - your tire will work lots better at 16 to 20 lbs PSI ....especially in the wet .....Al is telling the truth ...... Mike ........................PS, this is true for any CAR TIRE , not just His Michelin

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mike, I see that you recommend thre General Altimax RT43. So I ordered one from Amazon for $70.
    Thanks for your input!

Al thanks for your input also. When is the next Michigan chapter meeting, any idea?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default AN ALTIMAX

Mike, I see that you recommend thre General Altimax RT43. So I ordered one from Amazon for $70.
    Thanks for your input!

Al thanks for your input also. When is the next Michigan chapter meeting, any idea?
    IMHO the Altimax ..... the Michelin Premier .... and the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus are currently the best tires available in a size that will work with our Spyders, for all aspects of performance, safety, and wear ....... I know I have been touting the Altimax and still do, but I think I'm going to be the Guinea Pig and try the Pirelli next ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default new rear tire Michelin Premier 205/60r15 91H

Not a clue, Steve seems to prefer face book over this site, might look there

2018 F3-T

2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO the Altimax ..... the Michelin Premier .... and the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus are currently the best tires available in a size that will work with our Spyders, for all aspects of performance, safety, and wear ....... I know I have been touting the Altimax and still do, but I think I'm going to be the Guinea Pig and try the Pirelli next ......... Mike
    Been doing my homework on my first replacement rear tire. Just wondering:
    1. The Altimax RT43 is available in 3 speed ratings: T, V, & W in the 215/60R15 size. Are the higher speed rated tires a softer compound, therefore better in the wet?????
    2. The Premier A/S is available as a 205/60R15. The P4 Four Seasons+ is available in both a 205/60R15 and a 215/60R15. Does size matter???
    3. Other Spyder riders have commented of the Premier. Has anybody have experience with the P4 Four Seasons+????
    Thanks,
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default THESE TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Been doing my homework on my first replacement rear tire. Just wondering:
    1. The Altimax RT43 is available in 3 speed ratings: T, V, & W in the 215/60R15 size. Are the higher speed rated tires a softer compound, therefore better in the wet?????
    2. The Premier A/S is available as a 205/60R15. The P4 Four Seasons+ is available in both a 205/60R15 and a 215/60R15. Does size matter???
    3. Other Spyder riders have commented of the Premier. Has anybody have experience with the P4 Four Seasons+????
    Thanks,
    Mike
    I've seen the Altimax with ratings of T - H - & V ....... the T is 118 mph ...... the H & V are much higher ..... I've never seen this tire listed for a W rating ( 168 mph ) ..... I've always believed the higher the speed rating the better the tire, but in the case of the Altimax it's performance numbers are better than either the U or V rated tires...... Since I DON'T drive for hours at a time at 118 mph like they do for testing the speed ratings , I'm not concerned...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

This is just great information. One question I have is, Jim, the picture of your take-off Altimax appears to show very even wear. What pressure did you keep it at....?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've seen the Altimax with ratings of T - H - & V .I've never seen this tire listed for a W rating ( 168 mph ) ..... Mike
    My Bad,
    If you look @the time of my post(after midnight) you can understand my troubles with the alphabet(T, U, V, W......) Now back to the tire size question, is a 205 or 215 better on an RT Limited, or are they equal with the exception of tread width?????
    Mike

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try this:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

and use the tire comparison.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default 205 vs. 215

My Bad,
    If you look @the time of my post(after midnight) you can understand my troubles with the alphabet(T, U, V, W......) Now back to the tire size question, is a 205 or 215 better on an RT Limited, or are they equal with the exception of tread width?????
    Mike
    The 215 in 60 aspect is going to bring your odo almost perfect to actual distance ..... and might look a bit better ...... I recommend the 205 for GS-RS-ST models ............... I also highly recommend a psi of 18 +/- 1 in either size ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default PSI & TIRE WEAR

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    This is just great information. One question I have is, Jim, the picture of your take-off Altimax appears to show very even wear. What pressure did you keep it at....?
    As long as you aren't way under or way over 20 lbs. , the Altimax or any car tire has enough tread plies ( usually 4+ ) to keep them running flat ....... Unlike the KENDA's ............ I recommend 18 psi if you are using car tires on the rear of a Spyder ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tread Design Question

As I continue to research a replacement rear tire, I am noticing that some car tire options are designated as having an asymmetrical tread design. I'm not sure that type of tire would work on a Spyder. Is my gut feeling correct???? Any thoughts?????

Spyder Garage

Default ASYMMETRICAL

As I continue to research a replacement rear tire, I am noticing that some car tire options are designated as having an asymmetrical tread design. I'm not sure that type of tire would work on a Spyder. Is my gut feeling correct???? Any thoughts?????
    If that means ...non-directional ..... then if you have them on the front you can rotate left to right without removing them from the wheel ...... a money and time saver ...... For the rear that wouldn't matter. The rear tire only needs excellent wet traction...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-01-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Hi, I was running 28PSI on that tire, I have now reduced the new tire (Michelin) to 22 PSI based on a buddy who has great success with the lower pressure...maybe this one will last even longer.

I have read numerous threads/posts on tire PSI...so, it's your bike and you do what you want to .... I am experimenting a little with tire pressure and it sure rides nice at that PSI....

Good luck...PM me with any other questions...thanks.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

While it might make a difference on a motor vehicle with 4 wheels, & it will probably make a difference if you put a pair of them on the front of your Spyder (cos you'd hafta get the inside/outside markings or the rotation markings going the right way) then like Mike said, it (usually) really doesn't matter a heap on the rear of a Spyder!!

I have tested a couple of different asymmetrical tires on my RT without any ill-effects & some noticeable benefits, ie better cornering behaviour under some circumstances & better wet/dry hard braking (nb: when I say tested, I mean full-on testing on a proper tire test track for a coupla thousand kms plus some real world use on public roads!) but I choose to run symmetrical Sport/Touring tires instead - they are simply more common & readily available in the back blocks here in Australia, & cos I spend a bit of time out there touring a looong way from home/anywhere, I really don't want to risk getting sprung a couple of thousand miles from home with a tire that I cannot readily repair/get repaired &/or easily replace with a similar tire.

It really comes down to what YOU want from a tire, & what handling or ride characteristics you really want over any potential compromises/shortfalls from a given tire/tread pattern (if any).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-03-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default THIS TIRE PRESSURE

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Hi, I was running 28PSI on that tire, I have now reduced the new tire (Michelin) to 22 PSI based on a buddy who has great success with the lower pressure...maybe this one will last even longer.

I have read numerous threads/posts on tire PSI...so, it's your bike and you do what you want to .... I am experimenting a little with tire pressure and it sure rides nice at that PSI....

Good luck...PM me with any other questions...thanks.
    Jim or Teresa, glad to hear you are heading in the right direction ( with psi ) ..... now as long as you are willing to experiment try 18 psi ...... I promise NOTHING BAD will happen .... I think you will like it even better ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-04-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I have been trying several rear tires over the years on our RT. Yesterday, I installed a Michelin Premier A/S 205/60R15 91H on our RT as I have heard good reviews from our fellow Spyder Ryders here. So going to give it a try! Our RT has 38,745 miles on it.

Here's a brief recap of rear tires on our 2014 RTL:

New: OEM Kenda - should have changed it out at 6,000 miles, it basically was a slick tire when changed at 7,931 miles

7,931 miles: Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 (total miles: 14,000) good tire, was a little "slippery" when roads were wet, especially near end of its life

21,913 miles: General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 (total miles: 16,832) best tire so far, worked well, maybe could have got 2000-4000 more miles - changed out due to concern about hydroplaning when tread depth was getting low.

38,745 miles: Michelin Premier A/S 205/60R15 91H on (total miles: time will tell) friends had mention this has excellent "wet grip" for handling in the rain..

Here's a couple of pics:
    Pic 1: General Altimax taken off
    Pic 2: New Michelin showing tread design
    Your mileage and experiences are very similar to mine. However, I chose to go a different tire direction and am currently beta testing the Cooper CS5 on the rear. So far I really like the tire and aside from not enough miles to comment on lifespan it seems to be a very good choice. It is a harder compound tire and I'm hoping it will last beyond 16k miles, which was the lifespan of my Altimax too.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6